Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

can the USA be saved

danielost

The entire planet just needs a meteor strike as soon as possible.

If meteors go on strike, asteroids and space junk will simply pick up the slack. We're screwed either way.

No matter what recipe is circulated: unless there is a little more popular participation in the political process and a little more willingness of the people to inform themselves about the issues beyond the usual CNBC and Fox yaddah (that really don't deserve the attribute news, but should be called "what they want to hear" outlets and generally are served up by people as ignorant as their audience) there is no solution.

Sitting in front of the idiot making box and besides burping after every can of beer only to open the mouth to eat or blame Washington leads us nowhere, except down the same path we are already on.

Brilliant, it is Fox and CNBC that has caused all the problems in the US economy. The solution is more democrat debt and more Obama as they are doing a bang up job at the moment. :w00t:

• Like 1

...more democrat debt and more Obama...

Don't offer up spending cuts to Medicare and the Military before an election, though. That's good debt! :whistle:

Mitt-Romney-241055-3-402.jpg

Don't offer up spending cuts to Medicare and the Military before an election, though. That's good debt! :whistle:

Mitt-Romney-241055-3-402.jpg

Not if you want to get elected NNs

So let's just talk about ways to save the country instead.

I think if the country fails so will the world.

Stop listening the fox news. They can't get their way so the country needs "saved". The US is not a parishioner, it doesn't need "saved". It has some problems and Republicans are the biggest.

Stop listening the fox news. They can't get their way so the country needs "saved". The US is not a parishioner, it doesn't need "saved". It has some problems and Republicans are the biggest.

How about that Obamacare? Going well isn't it? Honestly, I said it would be a disaster but even I couldn't dream this fiasco up. Wow, how wrong were you? A normal person wouldn't show their face here after the rah rah rah you have been leading but look at you, not a shred of dignity! Good for you!

• Like 3

Took a while though... and while many in the US like to compare themselves to Rome: not even near it. Rome in its heyday was ruling over 60% of the civilized world.

China was as big as Rome was.

But, your right when Rome fell Europe went through the five hundred years of the dark ages.

As I said the democrats don't think the government can fail, dispute half of europe has fallen. Which shows guestionmarks post wrong.

In short....No.

Corruption is far to deeply ingrained now. Everyone is out for themselves...especially those that are "supposed" to be representing the people and doing things like creating opportunity. Instead of making it easier to be a creative entrepreneur...they continuously make it more difficult...in doing so, their buddies in mega corporation land (aka campaign contributors) can corner the markets by removing any chance of competition.

Oh well, it was a good run...

"All good things must come to an end"...and this won't end well...

thiswillnotendwell_zpsa467d1d2.jpeg

• Like 1

China was as big as Rome was.

But, your right when Rome fell Europe went through the five hundred years of the dark ages.

Not at the time, around 400 BC it consisted of the central provinces. Much later, under Genghis Khan it became much bigger.

I don't think the world is as doom and gloomy as everyone thinks, including the U.S. If you look at all the past decades people had so much more legit reasons to think the world is coming to and end. Examples like the Cuban missile crises, Cold war, Great depression, Two world wars. Civil rights movement.

And I don't think people are any more apathetic to politics then they have been throughout all of history, We have reality Tv, Rome had the gladiators , same concept. Disease down, life expectancy up, better tech yaddah yaddah.

The debt is a problem and corruption. But the fact that people realize this is a problem means that we will eventually solve it. We may make some policies that screw all kinds of **** up, but then later we will realize it sucks then fix it.

So I don't think we are at any worse situation then we where at any other point. We have problems, but we will conquer them like we always do :gun:

I don't think the world is as doom and gloomy as everyone thinks, including the U.S. If you look at all the past decades people had so much more legit reasons to think the world is coming to and end. Examples like the Cuban missile crises, Cold war, Great depression, Two world wars. Civil rights movement.

And I don't think people are any more apathetic to politics then they have been throughout all of history, We have reality Tv, Rome had the gladiators , same concept. Disease down, life expectancy up, better tech yaddah yaddah.

The debt is a problem and corruption. But the fact that people realize this is a problem means that we will eventually solve it. We may make some policies that screw all kinds of **** up, but then later we will realize it sucks then fix it.

So I don't think we are at any worse situation then we where at any other point. We have problems, but we will conquer them like we always do :gun:

The problem with that comparison is that in Rome the plebs (that is, non-nobles and non-military) had no part in the government. In the US of A people are supposed to participate. Deep seated corruption, there where the representatives are elected by plebiscite, is only possible if the plebs is apathetic to the problem.

Actualy, the fact that more people are aware has made it worse, cause aside from a little b****ing, we havent done a damn thing about it. That sends them a message that they are free to move forward.

• Like 2

The problem with that comparison is that in Rome the plebs (that is, non-nobles and non-military) had no part in the government. In the US of A people are supposed to participate. Deep seated corruption, there where the representatives are elected by plebiscite, is only possible if the plebs is apathetic to the problem.

Until Rome opened a lower house for the plebs.

Until Rome opened a lower house for the plebs.

Where you understand something wrong, all Romans, provided they got rich enough and/or had enough military reputation could ascend to the nobility. The plebs had nothing to say in government.

But, by the point you are trying to make, are you implying that the right to vote should be restricted to "noble Americans" to save the country or something?

That eerily reminds me of Joe Stalin when he abolished the Soviets with the argument that the people were "too stupid to rule themselves".

Don't put words in my mouth. The plebs had a small voice in the lower roman house. That is where. We got the idea for the house in our government.

Don't put words in my mouth. The plebs had a small voice in the lower roman house. That is where. We got the idea for the house in our government.

Wrong again, they got the idea from the British parliamentary system, which was copied save one small detail, the upper house was not for nobles but for the representatives of the sates. They even copied who was allowed to vote: people with real estate (at that time the Brits were already one step ahead and also those who were renting houses and estates could vote.

What you are confusing the "lower house" with is the magister equitum or the tribune of the plebs, but that was not a lower chamber that was a person appointed by the senate to represent the plebs.

What you might be talking about is the Plebeian Council, but that did not happen later in the Roman empire, that happened at the beginning of the Roman Republic and was abolished when Rome became an empire and replaced by the popular tribune. But that was one or two people... not a lower chamber. By 27 BCE it had no more function at all, which is when the Romans actually rose to be a world power.

The biggest problem with our country is our government. Power corrupts. The more power something has the more corrupt it becomes. This has been proven time and again throughout history. Thus the solution to our problem is a less powerful government, leading to a less corrupt government. We don't need more laws, but to roll back many laws. Legalize drugs, prostitution, gamboling, and any other "crime" that doesn't have at least a perpetrator and a victim (who are not the same person). Cut back to the basics and start over. Stop trading your (our) freedom for security, since we keep ending up with less of both.

• Like 1

I don't think the country will fall, but we will certainly have a major cleansing of government and governmental officials.

It isn't the country that is failing. It is the leadership within the country.

My neighbors are not failing people. My community is not failing. It is the State capitals and Wash DC that is failing.

It is the city offices that are failing.

I was going to make this a poll but can't.

So let's just talk about ways to save the country instead.

I think if the country fails so will the world. We are China's and Europe's biggest customer. If we fail they fail if they fail so does the world.

According to the republicans if we degrees our spending increase by one percent we would be in the black in five years.

According to the democrats the federal government cannot run out of money.

I don't think the country will fall, but we will certainly have a major cleansing of government and governmental officials.

i wish i was that optimistic, by what gvmnt does lately looks like they changing the country the way it fits them. who will clense them? ordinary joes??? how? not by force for sure, or they will be labled terrorists, and dhs army will deal with them. will they clense themselves?? definatly not.

• Like 1

The biggest problem with our country is our government. Power corrupts. The more power something has the more corrupt it becomes. This has been proven time and again throughout history. Thus the solution to our problem is a less powerful government, leading to a less corrupt government. We don't need more laws, but to roll back many laws. Legalize drugs, prostitution, gamboling, and any other "crime" that doesn't have at least a perpetrator and a victim (who are not the same person). Cut back to the basics and start over. Stop trading your (our) freedom for security, since we keep ending up with less of both.

That would imply that people learn about the issues themselves. Lots of luck, you can't even get a majority out to vote on election day.

The government gets more powerful in equal proportion as people get disinterested in it. So, the biggest problem is those who allow the government to get powerful: those who could not care a turd about it.

lol, nope. people have hothing to do with gvmnt corruption, either one you vote for ends us being same corrupt gvmnt official.

iti s time you drop your fantasy "people are wong"

are you afraid to call guilty ones by their names?? cuz they can retaliate? than why slander innocent? cuz they can't?

Edited by aztek

I don't think there's anything to "fix" perse

looking at history, there's a cyclical way to things work, a country builds power, sets as the big bad ass for a bit, then they crumble and either learn to function as just another country, or they go down hard.

Given the US's tendency for "go big or go home" my knee jerk reaction is that when the fall happens it'll be big and impressive.

I don't think there's anything to "fix" perse

looking at history, there's a cyclical way to things work, a country builds power, sets as the big bad ass for a bit, then they crumble and either learn to function as just another country, or they go down hard.

Given the US's tendency for "go big or go home" my knee jerk reaction is that when the fall happens it'll be big and impressive.

There is always a possibility to fix things... if there is a popular will. One way or the other....

another fantasy.

popular will gets nothing done in this country, only money.

latest CA ccw rule overturn proves it, will does not do anything here no matter how popular. money do. more people want guns banned\regulated than not, yet those that pay (nra contribution) get things their way.

Edited by aztek