Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

UK to Scotland: Walk away, lose the pound

questionmark

The Scottish notes [...] are legal tender throughout the Sterling area, but general acceptance as a note of credit is severely limited.

Notes printed in Scotland are not legal tender in England and Wales.

You are confusing legal tender with currency.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_tender#United_Kingdom

Well, I can only speak for myself. I don't like nationalism or nationalists but when I read the words and slurs and offensive labels spouted by my fellow Britons south of the border I have the overwhelming urge to throw-up and to vote Yes to independence when the time comes. I won't though.

*throws up*

Is questioning whether Alex Salmon has really thought things through spouting venom and hatred, then?

• Like 1

Is questioning whether Alex Salmon has really thought things through spouting venom and hatred, then?

Seems they are playing right into Salmon's hands.

Vote yes and hope for the best that the UK gives them everything they ask for, keep the pound, take no share of the national debt and he wangles his way into the EU. I have to give it to them they truly are brave.

• Like 1

It should be noted that Alex Salmond is the one pushing for Scotland to leave Britain. He doesn't speak for all the people living in Scotland. Come voting day I hope they turn out in full force to vote 'no', show him what a stupid idea independence would be.

• Like 3

Mr.Salmond has Scotland at heart, he wants to be top dog,but he isn't going about it the right way,there are over a Million Scots in England working, and seeing them express discontent at not being able to vote yes or no, is seriously p*****g them off having been born in Scotland which should give them a right to vote, yet immigrants who have moved there within a year or so,are allowed to vote even when a lot of them cannot speak the language.

Personally I hope the Scots stay with us as they are good people,and I would rather have a Scotsman and a Welshman with me than any other European.

• Like 1

It should be noted that Alex Salmond is the one pushing for Scotland to leave Britain. He doesn't speak for all the people living in Scotland. Come voting day I hope they turn out in full force to vote 'no', show him what a stupid idea independence would be.

i hope for the same as well.

• Like 1

Hi stevewinn,

Maybe i missed something...but doesn't the union between England and Scotland go back for hundreds of years? way back before the pound was "English" and there was even a Great Britain? The Pound Sterling is as much Scottish as it is English. Sure the English control the Pound now but threatening an independent Scotland with exclusion from a currency that it shared from the beggining, cause it is seeking independence is pure and simply IMO a case of sour grapes that is so counter productive to future relations that it would have the potential to permanetly cause a rift that could lead to a closed boarder and not just in the physical sense.

I find it inconceivable that the English would want the "troublesome" Scots to stay and yet at the same time telling them NOT to come back if they decide to leave the Union cause they can't use the national currency that they helped create or that Scottish national resources are now a grey area of ownership, or that Scotland will never join the world community OR political or economic structures like the EU or NATO cause England says so...

Regardless of what the English establishment says now for domestic consumption, England would wanna keep Scotland very close, in the commonwealth, with a joint military plan for the British Isles and free trade with a common currency and with free movement of goods, services and people as it benefits a more developed economy like the England...

The Pound, governed and manipulated by the English and used by the Scots even for a limited time would give the English a HUGE say in the affairs of Scotland and keep Great Britain alive in everything but name...i cant believe that the English will just curl-up and isolate themselves from their closest neighbour that they share a common language, history and culture cause they have to change their flag... just can't see it happening.

Hi stevewinn,

Maybe i missed something...but doesn't the union between England and Scotland go back for hundreds of years? way back before the pound was "English" and there was even a Great Britain? The Pound Sterling is as much Scottish as it is English. Sure the English control the Pound now but threatening an independent Scotland with exclusion from a currency that it shared from the beggining, cause it is seeking independence is pure and simply IMO a case of sour grapes that is so counter productive to future relations that it would have the potential to permanetly cause a rift that could lead to a closed boarder and not just in the physical sense.

I find it inconceivable that the English would want the "troublesome" Scots to stay and yet at the same time telling them NOT to come back if they decide to leave the Union cause they can't use the national currency that they helped create or that Scottish national resources are now a grey area of ownership, or that Scotland will never join the world community OR political or economic structures like the EU or NATO cause England says so...

Regardless of what the English establishment says now for domestic consumption, England would wanna keep Scotland very close, in the commonwealth, with a joint military plan for the British Isles and free trade with a common currency and with free movement of goods, services and people as it benefits a more developed economy like the England...

The Pound, governed and manipulated by the English and used by the Scots even for a limited time would give the English a HUGE say in the affairs of Scotland and keep Great Britain alive in everything but name...i cant believe that the English will just curl-up and isolate themselves from their closest neighbour that they share a common language, history and culture cause they have to change their flag... just can't see it happening.

Err we aint gonna just curl up. The Scots (some of them,not all of them) want to leave us, not the other way around,we aren't kicking them out,the majority of English want the Scots to stay,they are isolating themselves if they decide to go,its the S.N.P.radicals who have decided that they don't love us anymore.I hope all sensible Scots will vote to stay.
  • Like 1

As far as I'm concerned he'd be perfectly welcome to independence, just as long as he's really thought it through and he's sure Scotland would be viable independently, rather than just expecting that he can rely on this and that and take this bit of the UK and that bit to help him on his way. But he does just seem to appeal to the emotions and imply that anyone who doesn't wholeheartedly support him just hates the Scots. Surely if that was the case, those who did would be only too happy to see them leave the UK?

• Like 1

Err we aint gonna just curl up. The Scots (some of them,not all of them) want to leave us, not the other way around,we aren't kicking them out,the majority of English want the Scots to stay,they are isolating themselves if they decide to go,its the S.N.P.radicals who have decided that they don't love us anymore.I hope all sensible Scots will vote to stay.

Well I didn't say that the English are kicking the Scot's outta the union...Scotland is leaving on it's own accord. I haven't read anywhere that the Scots don't want to co-operate or are isolating themselves from the rest of the UK, cause they want to be a separate country...far from it, the SNP and it's supporters have floated the idea of sharing the Pound Sterling and other institutions...unfortunately, Cameron's Britain has drawn the line in the sand and warning everyone that the UK belongs to England and the rest are just guests.

But I'm not surprised or I bet is the nationalist Scots...Cameron's Britain, is inward looking and based on knee-jerk populism...arguing with the EU on fiscal and budgetary control, refusing to adopt the Euro and refusing to fully integrate and now threatening to support a British exit if his euro demands aren't met by a referendum, which is no different to the way the Scot's are behaving...is it any wonder that the Scot's wanna control their own destiny.

Maybe a labour government would be a little bit more realistic and pragmatic, spud the mackem.

Edited by Harry_Dresden

Perhaps Mr. Salmon might like to apply to join the Euro, then everyone'd be happy. Anyway, is Cameron's Britain being so unreasonable to question Mr. S's assumption that the Scotland would still be able to draw upon the Bank of England?

Perhaps Mr. Salmon might like to apply to join the Euro, then everyone'd be happy. Anyway, is Cameron's Britain being so unreasonable to question Mr. S's assumption that the Scotland would still be able to draw upon the Bank of England?

I'm sure that is his (Salmond's) very intention Colonel Rhubarb, to join the EU and break away from England but from what I've read it seems that the English are trying everything even threats to keep them loyal to the Union.

Of course with Cameron arguing about Europe having more powers and threatening to pull the UK out of the EU would Cameron support or at the very least not block Scotland's application to join the EU bloc...if so then what need would Scotland have of the pound sterling, think that's reasonable or should Cameron block this too? the point is I don't really think that sharing power or a currency is the problem but rather a weapon to use to hold on the the Union.

But since we are discussing Britain's refusal to sharing the pound sterling and everything else allow me to point out the obvious, why wouldn't the English "share" the Pound Sterling with Scotland? Hell if the English were smart they'd would lock Scotland into it and control Scotland's budget...but we both know that it's all about fear and making it as unattractive as possible to break the UK and not about being reasonable.

Hi stevewinn,

I'm sure that is his (Salmond's) very intention Colonel Rhubarb, to join the EU and break away from England but from what I've read it seems that the English are trying everything even threats to keep them loyal to the Union.

Of course with Cameron arguing about Europe having more powers and threatening to pull the UK out of the EU would Cameron support or at the very least not block Scotland's application to join the EU bloc...if so then what need would Scotland have of the pound sterling, think that's reasonable or should Cameron block this too? the point is I don't really think that sharing power or a currency is the problem but rather a weapon to use to hold on the the Union.

But since we are discussing Britain's refusal to sharing the pound sterling and everything else allow me to point out the obvious, why wouldn't the English "share" the Pound Sterling with Scotland? Hell if the English were smart they'd would lock Scotland into it and control Scotland's budget...but we both know that it's all about fear and making it as unattractive as possible to break the UK and not about being reasonable.

As for currency the Scots had their own version of the pound, it was based on the pound sterling. the Acts of the union in 1707 when Scotland joined England, Scotland joined the pound sterling. ditching their own version along with the dissolvement of the Scottish parliament at that moment you signed up to the Union hook line and sinker creating Great Britain and wasn't it Great from then on-in we went on to greater and greater achievements eventually in 1801 becoming the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. and as they say the rest is history.

As for sour grapes. No, those who would remain in the union England Wales and Northern Ireland have all said sharing of the pound sterling, in a monetary union with a foreign country (Scotland) is not in our national interest. this is what people need to get their heads around. why should the people of the UK be the backers and guarantors of a foreign country. if it all goes pear shaped for an independent Scotland it would effect over 56 million people and we cannot have 5 million people of iScotland even remotely having the possibility to cause such instability.

We also have to remember the SNP, Salmond, first choice was to assume (yet again) that if Scotland went independent they'd automatically still remain EU members. it was the EU who said Scotland would have to re-apply. the SNP in their misguided judgment also thought that would allow them to join the Euro currency. this was also shot down by the EU. stating Scotland does not even meet the criteria of joining the Euro Currency. - How can the future Prime minister of an Independent Scotland get such an issue so wrong. its scary. The SNP, Salmond in dire trouble decided, and yet again assumed an independent Scotland could still carry on using the pound Sterling without even asking. he was told by the governor of the Bank of England it would be unlikely, but that decision was left for the politicians, all three British parties have said NO, to a shared monetary union on the basis of National interests.

An independent Scotland will also find that if they applied to join the EU they will be blocked by EU countries who have their own National Interests at stake. forget about Great Britain, iScotland would have opposition from Spain, Belgium, Italy, France, Germany. it would set a precedent for others to follow and if the EU accept it it will give the green light for others with similar ambitions. so dont think its sour grapes by the remaining United Kingdom.

As for the EU, as much as it pains me to admit the United Kingdom does receive privileges and benefits that have been negotiated over the years which give us concessions over other members. These would be lost by an Independent Scotland.

As for NATO, is it with NATO's interest to offer membership to Scotland? we could see the same members of the EU also blocking membership attempts for the same reasons given above. and this is even before the remaining United Kingdom started.

What the SNP, Salmond and their supporters are finding out is that a 300+ Union year breakup is not as easy as they thought, i've said it before and keep repeating it. the SNP assumed it would be easy. they'd simply get independence and life today would simply continue in the same custom, their plan has been ripped apart in seconds and they have no alternative, and even if they tried to change direction it would be a massive dent to their credibility (whats left of it)

What the SNP are realising or witnessing is pure naked power of a country 10 times bigger than themselves. and in which ever direction they look they see similar. someone please welcome the SNP to the world of Global Politika.

Edited by stevewinn
  • Like 4

Notes printed in Scotland are not legal tender in England and Wales.

You are confusing legal tender with currency.

http://en.wikipedia....#United_Kingdom

Thank you for that heads - up acute.

Bank of England notes are legal tender in England and Wales and are issued in the denominations of £5, £10, £20 and £50. They can always be redeemed at the Bank of England even if discontinued. Banknotes issued by Scottish and Northern Irish banks are not legal tender anywhere in England and Wales but can still be accepted with agreement between parties.[25] Whilst banknotes issued by the Scottish banks are legal currency, that is approved by the UK Parliament, no banknotes issued by Scottish banks, Northern Ireland banks nor the Bank of England are legal tender in Scotland. Thus legal tender in Scotland is limited to coin as noted above.

I found your link most interesting - and will not be accepting any Scottish Banknotes in the future... It appears that NO notes whatsoever are actually Legal Tender in Scotland, even those issued by Scottish Banks, only coins.

• Like 1

I don't think for one minute there will be a yes Vote,I get the Impression that Mr Salmond thinks that he can get the Yes vote and walk away from any obligations or debt that might have been incurred whilst part of the Union.

Nationalistic Fervour can only get you so far in Life,there are bills to be paid.

• Like 1

On Sunday on the BBC's political show with Andrew Marr. EU commissioner president Jose Manuel Barroso has said it would be "extremely difficult, if not impossible" for an independent Scotland to join the European Union.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...litics-26215963

Yet again the SNP have come out and dismissed what the EU's Jose Manuel Barroso as said. they are in denial. how incompetent is the SNP, from the formation of the party in the 1930's their political goal as been independence and yet in all that time they have failed to come up with a robust plan for independence, here they are in their moment of "glory" and they are in damage limitation mode. in complete denial, the refuse to accept what George Obsorne as stated on a shared monetary union. they have refused to accept what EU's Jose M, Barrosso as stated. its like they just stick their fingers in their ears.

If Scotland vote yes, they leave the United Kingdom. the Fourth largest economy in the world. they leave the £ pound Sterling (fourth most traded currency in the world) they leave the IMF, WTO, the G7,G8, G20, OECD, ***, EU and NATO, and thats not counting the permanent member status at the UN.

i just hope, no - expect the good people of Scotland turnout in numbers and Vote NO, DO NOT throw away 307 years of tradition, institution History and Unity for this. Why on earth risk everything, when Scotland has everything and more being part of the United Kingdom. we are better together in every which way possible. i know its a long way off the vote, but dont throw it away. not for the SNP, not for Sturgeon, and especially not for Alex Salmond. consign him to the dustbin of History.

Edited by stevewinn
  • Like 1

What I love is how Scotland's Finance Minister (did you know there was one? "described his comments as "pretty preposterous".

So they just dismiss what the Head of the EU himself says if he doesn't say what they want to hear.

If Scotland vote yes, they leave the United Kingdom. the Fourth largest economy in the world. they leave the £ pound Sterling (fourth most traded currency in the world) they leave the IMF, WTO, the G7,G8, G20, OECD, ***, EU and NATO, and thats not counting the permanent member status at the UN.

What was asterisked out, i wonder? :unsure2:

Edited by Colonel Rhubarb

On Sunday on the BBC's political show with Andrew Marr. EU commissioner president Jose Manuel Barroso has said it would be "extremely difficult, if not impossible" for an independent Scotland to join the European Union.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...litics-26215963

Yet again the SNP have come out and dismissed what the EU's Jose Manuel Barroso as said. they are in denial. how incompetent is the SNP, from the formation of the party in the 1930's their political goal as been independence and yet in all that time they have failed to come up with a robust plan for independence, here they are in their moment of "glory" and they are in damage limitation mode. in complete denial, the refuse to accept what George Obsorne as stated on a shared monetary union. they have refused to accept what EU's Jose M, Barrosso as stated. its like they just stick their fingers in their ears.

i just hope, no - expect the good people of Scotland turnout in numbers and Vote NO, DO NOT throw away 307 years of tradition, institution History and Unity for this. Why on earth risk everything, when Scotland has everything and more being part of the United Kingdom. we are better together in every which way possible. i know its a long way off the vote, but dont throw it away. not for the SNP, not for Sturgeon, and especially not for Alex Salmond. consign him to the dustbin of History.

Classic case here of an Ostrich with it's head firmly buried in the Sand.I think there will be a no vote by a considerable margin and Mr Salmond's credibility will be destroyed beyond repair.

Do the SNP really think they could gain EU membership by the back door ?

Their whole reasoning is clouded and quite frankly ludicrous.

Edited by shaddow134

The only thing that concerns me is that it will be the "Knuckleheads" and (impressionable)16 year olds that will turn out in big numbers to vote "yes". Those in work (almost at a record high) just may be working too hard to find the time to vote.

IF Scotland votes to go it alone, then all power to them - they are a financial burden on the rest of the UK, which is a shame, because their potential to positively contribute is unquestionable.

It is looking very much as though Shetland will have nothing to do with a "Yes" vote and will remain within the Union... this is good news because Faslane can be rebuilt in Shetland, and bring much needed differentiated work to the Islands.

If Scotland decide to vote "Yes" and leave the U.K, are we looking at Scotlands first ever Dictator, Alex the First of Scotland.

If Scotland decide to vote "Yes" and leave the U.K, are we looking at Scotlands first ever Dictator, Alex the First of Scotland.

No, King. Or Tsar, possibly. Tsar Alexander IV.

• Like 1

Speaking of 'dictators' English policy to tackle Scottish independence is fear based and punishing in the extreme if the Scots vote for a separation from the UK. So 'we love you Scotland and hope you'll remain in the Union BUT if you leave then you get nothing but grief from what's left of the UK'. Doesn't sound like much of a union to me...funny thing is that Cameron and the rest of the Unionist have shot themselves in the foot by playing tough...even if independence is voted down, there is already a significant YES to independent Scotland to form a legitimate mandate for greater autonomy and the fact that Scotland is being bullied and insulted by Cameron and Osborne will be a telling factor in the aftermath and a rallying cry for the nationalist movement in the future.

Either way the "union" will never be the same after this referendum and the issue will never really leave the Scottish agenda, it will just fester until the next referendum.

Speaking of 'dictators' English policy to tackle Scottish independence is fear based and punishing in the extreme if the Scots vote for a separation from the UK. So 'we love you Scotland and hope you'll remain in the Union BUT if you leave then you get nothing but grief from what's left of the UK'. Doesn't sound like much of a union to me...funny thing is that Cameron and the rest of the Unionist have shot themselves in the foot by playing tough...even if independence is voted down, there is already a significant YES to independent Scotland to form a legitimate mandate for greater autonomy and the fact that Scotland is being bullied and insulted by Cameron and Osborne will be a telling factor in the aftermath and a rallying cry for the nationalist movement in the future.

Either way the "union" will never be the same after this referendum and the issue will never really leave the Scottish agenda, it will just fester until the next referendum.

Why is explaining what Alex Salom doesn't seem to know, i.e. the realities of currency union and whether or not he'd be able to join the EU, tyrannical bullying? It may not be what he wants to hear but it's just explaining to him what he doesn't seem to understand. If anyone's insulting Scotland it's himself and his party by misleading them like this. Is mr. Barroso of the EU bullying him and insulting the people of Scotland as well?

• Like 2

in related news:

Gordon Brown warns Scots independence means losing British state pension

The former Prime Minister argues that the state pension is best provided on a UK-wide basis, which allows the pooling of risks and resources

Gordon Brown has warned his fellow Scots that a vote for independence would mean them losing their British state pension.

The former Prime Minister said leaving the UK would mean "the British pension stops, the national insurance fund that you're paying into is broken up. "

Read more

I wonder, if the Scottish independence is such a far shot: why are English politicians sh!tting their pants about it?

in related news:

I wonder, if the Scottish independence is such a far shot: why are English politicians sh!tting their pants about it?

You're saying that the people of Scotland should not be told how naive and poorly researched this plan of Alex Salmon's is?

• Like 2