Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The great Himalayan Yeti debate

UM-Bot

Edward Crabtree: The creature which almost dragged the Sherpa girl, Lakhpa Domini, into a stream was ape-like. An ape with large eyes and black and brown hair. She had been at watch over her yaks near a stream near Machherma village when the thing seized her. Only after she gave a scream did the beast let go. Then it set about her yaks. The police were alerted. They found footprints to corroborate the tale. Such episodes are quite common to the people who inhabit the Nepalese mountains, the Sherpas. This case is only known to the West because it was recounted by a Peace Corps volunteer called William Weber in the early Eighties.

arrow3.gifView: Full Article
  • Like 3

I am not sure a debate continues, Hillary recanted his claim, as did his Sherpa, Tenzig Norgay, who claimed his cultural superstitions were all had had regarding Yeti evidence. The Scalp at the Khumjung monastery has been tested to be a Goat, Hodgson's vague description tells us as little as Shipton's photographs.

With the most prominent witnesses recanting, and despite the article, what I find to be wide acceptance of the Blue Bear hypothesis as the main culprit, I honestly don't see the "debate" here.

`How could farmers and herdsmen living in remote valleys come up with descriptions of an ape if the nearest apes lived thousands of miles away...? ` (Matthews, p-202).

I'm thinking "apes" as in possibly (wild) humans live closer than that, so not such a reach, lol.

Western fabrication or exaggeration?

Language barrier miscommunication?

Story telling and spiritual significance we don't understand?

Historical/Ancient "connections" that aren't?

Toes that point backward?

Lots of questions to ask, fun accounts to read, yet no answers to solidify some new hominid or animal, imo.

Smells like another stinky cryptid I can think of.

Edited by QuiteContrary

Anecdotal evidence and an author's vivid imagination prove nothing, especially concerning the existence of creatures curiously absent from the archaeological record.

• Like 1

I don't know why people are so skeptical about the possibility of an undiscovered hominid.

Edited by acute
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

`How could farmers and herdsmen living in remote valleys come up with descriptions of an ape if the nearest apes lived thousands of miles away...? ` (Matthews, p-202).

I'm thinking "apes" as in possibly (wild) humans live closer than that, so not such a reach, lol.

Western fabrication or exaggeration?

Language barrier miscommunication?

Story telling and spiritual significance we don't understand?

Historical/Ancient "connections" that aren't?

Toes that point backward?

Lots of questions to ask, fun accounts to read, yet no answers to solidify some new hominid or animal, imo.

Smells like another stinky cryptid I can think of.

What they saw was Blue and or Brown Bears on hind legs. Not Apes.

M.TIBB.02_06L.jpg

I don't know why people are so skeptical about the possibility of an undiscovered hominid.

Probably because people went looking for it based in wild claims and did not find Yeti, but Bears. The claims simply do not stand to scrutiny. Hillary recanted his claims, as did his Sherpa, Tenzing Norgay.

The best bet for actual proof for the Yeti I thought was the Pangboche Hand. Sadly or perhaps not, Edinburgh dispelled that final straw in 2011 when they discovered the finger in their archives from the hand and it was very much human.

LINK - Yeti finger mystery solved by Edinburgh scientists

Edited by psyche101

M.TIBB.02_06L.jpg

Yeah I've read about that possibility too. It's just one of many, from flora to fauna to humans to rocks to miscommunication, mythology etc.

I was also being a tad facetious. The comment basically said How would local farmers describe an "ape" having never seen one???? I begged to differ.

Gorgeous bear!

Edited by QuiteContrary
  • Like 1

Yeah I've read about that possibility too. It's just one of many, from flora to fauna to humans to rocks to miscommunication, mythology etc.

And considering Shiptons photos, even just melted footprints.

I was also being a tad facetious. The comment basically said How would local farmers describe an "ape" having never seen one???? I begged to differ.

So you were, my bad, so much woo my filters were clogged - good call :tu:

Gorgeous bear!

Agreed, I would love to see one, but not up close...........

• Like 1

And considering Shiptons photos, even just melted footprints.

So you were, my bad, so much woo my filters were clogged - good call :tu:

Agreed, I would love to see one, but not up close...........

I've seen a couple reenactments showing bears standing on two legs in dim light obscured by some trees...quite imposing creatures! I can certainly see how they might be mistaken for something unknown or unusual.

The bears unusual color pattern could play tricks on someone's eyes too. Possibly?

Edited by QuiteContrary
  • Like 1

I've seen a couple reenactments showing bears standing on two legs in dim light obscured by some trees...quite imposing creatures! I can certainly see how they might be mistaken for something unknown or unusual.

The bears unusual color pattern could play tricks on someone's eyes too. Possibly?

Seeming as most people in that part of the world are dressed in fur, I can see how they might make a mistake, but how they come to non human is completely superstition, as Tenzing Norgay explained when he rationalised his claim.

Not sure if they could see the bears eyes, reports are always enigmatic that's a red flag with Bigfoot stories for me, some people claim to see eye colour at like 100 meters, I find that very difficult to believe.

SUNP0031.JPG

Seeming as most people in that part of the world are dressed in fur, I can see how they might make a mistake, but how they come to non human is completely superstition, as Tenzing Norgay explained when he rationalised his claim.

Not sure if they could see the bears eyes, reports are always enigmatic that's a red flag with Bigfoot stories for me, some people claim to see eye colour at like 100 meters, I find that very difficult to believe.

One I saw the bear was much more obscured by trees and the light low. Enough to see "something" and let imagination and fear take over to make it into something "mysterious". However, I'd imagine in some cases, that happens later when it come to telling others about it?

My biggest pet peeve with sightings is the seemingly impossible visual acuity of many eye-witnesses.

Edited by QuiteContrary

M.TIBB.02_06L.jpg

They actually collected samples sent in from locals that claimed to have hair that belonged to a Yeti, back in 2013. The mitochondrial DNA results matched a sequence in the GenBank from a polar bear jaw found in Svalbard, which is at least 40,000 years old. The matter is still being looked into, but right now the theory is that a subspecies of polar bear is roaming the Himalayan mountains.

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2013/oct/17/yeti-dna-ancient-polar-bear-scientists

I do not know if the Asian yeti is connected with the UFO phenomna. I've never read about a connection between the two. But the North American big foot or sasquatch is a different story. There are a number of accounts and sightings by credible witnesses linking a bigfoot moving around the corral, the stream down the hill, Aunt Minnie's back porch or in one case, a 10 footer rummaging around a bunch of dumpsters on a US Air Force. base. People in Wisconsin saw a UFO or flying saucer land in an open field, park for a few minutes and then fly away. After the saucer departed at high speed, a large furry creature was seen scampering from the landing zone into the nearby woods. Solve the UFO phenomena and you'll solve gobs of other mysteries.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

This is vey interesting! The strange case of the Yeti finger is one of the most intriguing tales in the cryptozoo world. Apparently, the yeti finger, famously smuggled out of Asia by actor Jimmy Stewart, was recently tested for DNA by scientists. It turns out the famous yeti finger is actually from a male.

Edited by geraldgreen12

Edward Crabtree: The creature which almost dragged the Sherpa girl, Lakhpa Domini, into a stream was ape-like. An ape with large eyes and black and brown hair. She had been at watch over her yaks near a stream near Machherma village when the thing seized her. Only after she gave a scream did the beast let go. Then it set about her yaks. The police were alerted. They found footprints to corroborate the tale. Such episodes are quite common to the people who inhabit the Nepalese mountains, the Sherpas. This case is only known to the West because it was recounted by a Peace Corps volunteer called William Weber in the early Eighties.

arrow3.gifView: Full Article

Great article. There's TWO mountain cryptids that have always been spoken of in TV programmes that I've seen. One of them has been proven to be a pleistocene polar bear hybrid and the other fits the worldwide description of a 'bigfoot' type entity. All that is needed is a good hair sample from anywhere in the world to show it's true identity. I've already matched the hair medulla analysis of the Orang Pendek expedition of Sumatra and it was a direct match for the .... wait fo it... HYRAX. Strange but true. Time will tell. Edited by crypto-ufologist
  • Like 1