Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Great white sharks

Canadian Rottweiler

These are some really cool pics that I got off of some scuba diving sites,and ocean life sites.Seeing the great white jump,and taking pics of this rare occurence was just discovered a few years ago.Before this,sharks were not known to freely jump out of the water.Nobody knows why they do this(nobody knows why whales do it either).Here they are...

post-10180-1099285619.jpg

post-10180-1099285624.jpg

post-10180-1099285630.jpg

post-10180-1099285635.jpg

post-10180-1099285641.jpg

post-10180-1099285646.jpg

post-10180-1099285654.jpg

post-10180-1099285660.jpg

post-10180-1099285666.jpg

post-10180-1099285672.jpg

post-10180-1099285679.jpg

post-10180-1099285685.jpg

post-10180-1099285691.jpg

post-10180-1099285697.jpg

post-10180-1099285704.jpg

post-10180-1099285713.jpg

post-10180-1099285721.jpg

post-10180-1099285727.jpg

post-10180-1099285735.jpg

post-10180-1099285741.jpg

post-10180-1099285749.jpg

post-10180-1099285762.jpg

post-10180-1099285770.jpg

post-10180-1099285776.jpg

post-10180-1099285785.jpg

post-10180-1099285791.jpg

post-10180-1099285797.jpg

post-10180-1099285804.jpg

post-10180-1099285811.jpg

post-10180-1099285818.jpg

post-10180-1099285824.jpg

post-10180-1099285830.jpg

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Canadian Rottweiler

• Panthera leo atrox

• DarkSide

• bloodmoon

Its called breaching, great white sharks will swim to a deeper part of water and swim straight up towards a seal at around 60 mph and knock them unconcious them tear them apart..

Yes I know about that part,but thanks for bringing it up anyway.I know that this called breaching,but I don't know(nor does anyone else)know why they do this.They breach in the same way as whales,which really makes you wonder if maybe whales and sharks are actually related,due to having the same habits.

Impossible being related... Sharks are fish, whales/dolphins and porpises are mammals, simpla as that. Great whites have only been filmed and seen breaching on seals so it is believe to be there best method for hunting seals.

I just said that I know that.Obviously sharks are fishes,and whales are mammals.That's why I said that it is weird.It IS weird that sharks(fish) and whales(mammals)hunt in the same way,hunt the same things,are both carnivores,and both surprise attack.There may be a missing link inbetween these two is all that I'm saying. rolleyes.gif

oooh, sucks to be a seal doesn't it?...really you eat fish your whole life then you get eaten by one...nature's cruel joke.

I just said that I know that.Obviously sharks are fishes,and whales are mammals.That's why I said that it is weird.It IS weird that sharks(fish) and whales(mammals)hunt in the same way,hunt the same things,are both carnivores,and both surprise attack.There may be a missing link inbetween these two is all that I'm saying. rolleyes.gif

334000[/snapback]

Lol, I actually have no idea why whales breach its not to eat (other than orcas) because most of them are filter feeders other than the cone teethed one that eat small fish, its pretty much like asking why a dolphin jumps infront of boats. I would not say a whale suprise attacks since all it technically does is take water in between its teeth while swimming.. Other than that i'm of to bed...

That is correct.Most whales do only filter feed.Orca's are basically the only whales that hunt like this.Wait a minute,flashback.I remember hearing on the discovery channel not too long ago,that Orca's are actually closer related to sharks(fish) than they are to whales(mammals).A week ago I also heard on the discovery channel that great white sharks actually hunt in packs(just discovered),as do orca's.Did anyone else hear about this? huh.gif I can't believe that I forgot about that. disgust.gif

no i haven't heard about that cause its a total load, sharks are FISH and whales, porpises and dolphins including orcas are MAMMALS, like darkside said. orcas are closer related to dolphins then they are to whales. sharks have been on the earth for billions of years, they dont even have bones, orcas are about as closely related to sharks as i am. and it is not weird for animals to develop similar hunting techniques. there are many many snakes that will wiggle their tail to attract prey, and they are very far from each other. there are animals that evolve almost exactly the same body shape, because it works best.

That is correct.Most whales do only filter feed.Orca's are basically the only whales that hunt like this.Wait a minute,flashback.I remember hearing on the discovery channel not too long ago,that Orca's are actually closer related to sharks(fish) than they are to whales(mammals).A week ago I also heard on the discovery channel that great white sharks actually hunt in packs(just discovered),as do orca's.Did anyone else hear about this? huh.gif I can't believe that I forgot about that. disgust.gif

334031[/snapback]

the orca (killer whale) is just a big ol' dolphin, and not a whale at all.. just a psuedoname

we found out in wa recently that sharks could possibly hunt in packs after a surfer got killed by a shark. there was another one hanging around the one that attacked, although it was not the same species of shark

I don't think great whites hunt in packs, no...it wouldn't make any sense for them to do so; they're top of the food chain predators, hunting prey significantly smaller than they are (seals, smaller fish, etc)...it doesn't make any sense whatsoever for a group of animals to cooperate in a kill, only to end up getting a mouthful each.

Smaller sharks might..MIGHT...coordinate attacks of some sort...although I duobt very much sharks have the intelligence to do so. Dolphins do, certainly...but a dolphins brains is at least as large as ours...a shark's is the size of a ping-pong ball.

OMG.Darkside doesn't know everything people.I am telling you what they discovered on the discovery channel.BTW,Bloodmoon,you may be related to sharks too.Since you are a mammal.As are whales.If whales and sharks are related in some form or another,then YOU just made a very embarrassing statement. tongue.gif It is now KNOWN that great whites hunt in packs.A group of marine biologists filmed a tape underwater(two consecutive weeks)of great whites hunting in packs.Also above water shots too.If you don't believe me,then email the discovery channel and go embarrass yourself about being wrong and trusting darkside on everything that he says.Otherwise,believe me on what I know. original.gif As I am a scuba diver.IS darkside one?NO he isn't.

The seals really dont stand a chance do they?!

There is no way there related. The sea going fish eventually evolved into sharks while little mammals on land crawled into the water and started to evolve into primitive whales.

Sharks packs - Shoals of sharks

Whale/dolphin/porpise packs - Pods of whale/dolphins/porpises.

Oh and Sera there are many sharks that do hunt in shoals, like the hammer head and other species like the bonnet head shark have been know to hunt in shoals of well over 1000 fish. There is also this type of shark that cooperates with dolphins, where dolphins will fly into a ball of sardines they have cornered agains the top of the ocean, and then the sharks with herd them and slowly go through the ball for a quick and easy meal. So I think sharks to be very intelligent to an etent.

So darkside,trying to make it seem like you know more than me huh?There probably is no connection between them,I just thought that it is interesting.Anyways,even scientists don't know why they do this.So,that means,that YOU certainly can't know for sure. tongue.gif

I guess human evolved from Iguana because their hands are similar to us and we eat meat, insects, and fruit like as Iguana did... Yeah I should tell my anthro teacher that you came up with GREAT theory...

I didn't really come up with it, its simple because its not that hard to grasp really, and no I don't think i'm better than you. Its just that its easy to tell why they do it from the videos they have, I even saw a documentary on it on discovery channel.

This topic remides me of that picture of the shark coming near the copter in San Fran creepy. Some of those sharkes look pretty fierce.

Yeah,I remember that pic.It was proven to be a fake by the weekly world news. rolleyes.gif They took one of the pics(posted at the start)and put it in a different scene.It was kinda funny though. laugh.gif I'll look for it...

Yes I know about that part,but thanks for bringing it up anyway.I know that this called breaching,but I don't know(nor does anyone else)know why they do this.They breach in the same way as whales,which really makes you wonder if maybe whales and sharks are actually related,due to having the same habits.

333952[/snapback]

The weirder thing is, their only off the coast of south africa (or South America, someone correct me).

It was about breaching sharks in Africa and New Zealand and some where else where I forget the name.