Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Great white sharks

Canadian Rottweiler

I was thinking about getting ratfish shark... Know anything about it? I also like horned shark (not sure if that si correct name...).

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Canadian Rottweiler

• Panthera leo atrox

• DarkSide

• bloodmoon

Ratfish is not a good specie to get.They die quickly in captivity.Horn sharks are basically the same as nurse sharks.They are a good specie.Here is a hornshark...

post-10180-1099464959.jpg

Some are okay,some aren't.They all have different personalities.And if you pet a shark rubbing up,you will cut yourself.They have tiny serrations on their skin that will cut you.They are called denticles.Here is a pic...

post-10180-1099466752.jpg

That is correct.Most whales do only filter feed.Orca's are basically the only whales that hunt like this.Wait a minute,flashback.I remember hearing on the discovery channel not too long ago,that Orca's are actually closer related to sharks(fish) than they are to whales(mammals).A week ago I also heard on the discovery channel that great white sharks actually hunt in packs(just discovered),as do orca's.Did anyone else hear about this? huh.gif I can't believe that I forgot about that. disgust.gif

334031[/snapback]

^that sure looks like you said they were related,^ if your gonna make a claim remember what it is.

and they are called dermal denticles, literally translated means skin teeth.

A week ago I also heard on the discovery channel that great white sharks actually hunt in packs(just discovered),

The scientists involved discovered what the believed to be a group of male great whites hunting in a pack like wolves. However they are still researching this as most great whites that have been studied by scientists have been found alone.

This finding does not prove that they hunt in packs, moreover that they may do in one particualr area. More research needs to be done, before this can be 100% accurate of the entire popualtion of great whites. There may be other factors in that particular area that contributed to this.

That is true.They were seen in a pack once,maybe they just do that in certain areas. original.gif Who knows if they commonly do this.

Np problem just wanted to make a point happy.gifhappy.gif that some sharks swim in groups Go harks go keep on swiming............ thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

YEAH!!!You go sharks!!!!Maybe they all swim in groups.We just don't see it,cause they seperate when something is near.(like humans)

I really don't understand this primitive admiration of people for a creature which is nothing more than teeth and muscle. As far as destroying the damned things when they attack a human I'm all for the idea. When a dog attacks a human the only logical response is to put it down, pretty much the same conclusion for a shark. I don't mean destroying a shark out in the big wide ocean but definately those which are in bays/beaches/etc. Just because they can't come out of the water does it mean that the ocean is "their" territory as far as I'm concerned we are in control of what happens on this earth and as a consequence we have direct supervision of land, sea and air. What about those sharks which are just on the beach front? Those that come up all the way to the shore to snatch up some prey? They sure respect boundaries.

Cry baby! You dont know why shark are so fasicanting because you dont know what is beautiful or not. Have you ever saw a pic or video of group of shark swim in the water? They are so graceful, peaceful and glide through water with ease. Blue shark are beautiful too. YOu probably are just scare of them and want them die you sharkhater!

I really don't understand this primitive admiration of people for a creature which is nothing more than teeth and muscle. As far as destroying the damned things when they attack a human I'm all for the idea. When a dog attacks a human the only logical response is to put it down, pretty much the same conclusion for a shark. I don't mean destroying a shark out in the big wide ocean but definately those which are in bays/beaches/etc. Just because they can't come out of the water does it mean that the ocean is "their" territory as far as I'm concerned we are in control of what happens on this earth and as a consequence we have direct supervision of land, sea and air. What about those sharks which are just on the beach front? Those that come up all the way to the shore to snatch up some prey? They sure respect boundaries.

345988[/snapback]

No offence Vox,but you are an example of what is wrong with people and their aggression.The sea belongs to the alpha predators.We humans are in control of land,not of the sea.It is very ignorant of you to state otherwise.Sharks are the oldest living creatures that are around today.They were around before the dinosaurs.Sharks should not be destroyed for eating something that looks like a god damn seal or a wounded fish.When people see sharks,they panic and thrash around.It looks like a wounded animal to them.Of course they are gonna wanna eat it.But sharks are so smart that they can tell the difference between certain tastes of blood.They only bite a human once,then let go.They hate the taste of humans.Peope need to understand that the ocean is the sharks' territory.Not humans,theirs.It will always be this way.And it is because of people like you that sharks are becoming endangered.We need to protect them.Actually,sharks are starting to be protected.Countries like Canada,USA,Australia,and so on are now protecting sharks(this just recently happened)Certain sharks are now a protected species in some countries.So,it looks like "your" side is losing the battle now.Oh,and also a new invention has been made.There is now devices that protect beaches from sharks by sending out a signal that confuses sharks.It does not hurt them in any way.Sharks are confused by this signal,and it scares them.So they swim away.It does not affect any other sea life. grin2.gif The area of effectiveness is about 1 mile.So many will be put up along beaches so people won't get hurt,and so sharks won't get killed.And the nets that kill sea life will be removed from the water. grin2.gif Question for you...Is it justice that because 1 shark attacks a person for looking like a seal,all sharks seen within the next week get killed.They can't possibly ****** know exactly which shark it was.So just accept it,and leave the sharks alone.I am a scuba diver,that is how I am so knowledgable about all this. grin2.gif

Edited by Canadian

this has probably already been said, but it's called breaching when they jump up out of the water. Great whites are awesome! I Liove those and Tiger Sharks the most, although I have a soft spot for Tigers!

BIG prop to Canadian for protecting the sharks. I hate the fact that human want to take over whole world and want to kill off everything that thearten them. (removed) like the tiger shark but they're not something I would feel so comfort to swim with but I dont want them harmed at all. Here is a gift to Canadian

http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/Gallery/Desc...rk/juvenile.JPG

http://www.msu.edu/~brownp11/images/tiger%20shark3.jpg

http://www.bigmarinefish.com/tiger_shark.jpg

EDIT: Removed offensive statements, openly threatening other members is not a good way of prolonging your membership of this forum Cobalt Demon

Edited by Thistle

Well, I'm happy to realise that my statement has come across at such a level.

Canadian- In response to your reply, no I don't think it is right that 10 sharks get nailed because one shark eat somebody, but I do mean that the one shark should be destroyed. Thing is that all this fancy talk of protecting the one shark would go out the window if the person that had been killed was your wife or child. Just as it is natural for a shark to eat something that looks like a seal, it is natural for us to avenge, and seek revenge. I'm pretty sure that we can both come to the conclusion that sharks are brutal creatures. As I said before I don't agree with going out of our way to hunt sharks down in the middle of the pacific or indian ocean, but only those we consider a "threat". As far as your statement goes, no, I don't take offence. I don't believe their is anything wrong with my point of view, ultimately you should be grateful to have people of a like mind of my own since all I'm doing is putting my concern across to protect and help fellow people. If they perfect and implement that device by the beach which you described then by all means go for it. However if it only works for a modicum of the time it's switched on, then we will have to resort to more "primitive" ways of dealing with them.

Cobalt Demon- Well, erm, where to start? I could argue indefinately with an irate persona such as yourself but I come to the conclusion that that would prolong the debate and ultimately sour the thread. I'll tell you what, if you apply that high philosophy that you demonstrated on your previous post to everything you do in life, I'm pretty sure you will go far. See the only thing that gets to me is that according to your profile you are only two years younger than me, and such kind of retort I would expect from a 13-14 year old not a 20 year old.

But, Vox how would they know which shark is the one that attacked that person? The people that do the shark hunting would go out and think that one shark was that one kill it and then find another one that they thought was that shark and kill it, etc. That would go on until there was no more tiger, bull, whatever killed/attacked that person in that area, and i'm sure you know that all sharks have a very slow reproductive rate right?

We will never argue just have 'heated discussion'

-Darkside

I'm not going to lie, I know hardly anything about sharks. However I believe that for example there are not many great whites in say the straits of gibraltar, so supposedly if a great white attack occured then if they found the lone great white (unlikely I suppose) around the area of the attack, I'm pretty sure it would be nailed there and then just to prevent any more such attacks. I re-iterate what I posted earlier... I'm not for the annhilation of any type of shark, only those which prove to be a threat at the immediate time.

I'm not going to lie, I know hardly anything about sharks. However I believe that for example there are not many great whites in say the straits of gibraltar, so supposedly if a great white attack occured then if they found the lone great white (unlikely I suppose) around the area of the attack, I'm pretty sure it would be nailed there and then just to prevent any more such attacks. I re-iterate  what I posted earlier... I'm not for the annhilation of any type of shark, only those which prove to be a threat at the immediate time.

347278[/snapback]

Obviously you don't know much about sharks. rolleyes.gif Great whites are endangered,and are now protected in places like the USA,Australia and some others.Sharks can travel for over 100 miles in 1 day.You can't possibly know which sharks did it.You just can't.So,you need to let it go.Don'y seek revenge on them.I know that people(like yourself) believe in revenge,and don't give a damn about creatures like sharks.People need to understand that the ocean belongs to the sharks.If you travel into the water,you go at your own risk.That is just how it is,so don't bother arguing that.And darkside made a good point.Sometimes it takes years to have any offspring,and even then sometimes the pup doesn't even live.Some sharks have more offspring than others.Like dogfish have about 10 at a time.A great white only has only 1.Just because after a attack,there is a "lone" sharks in the area,doesn't mean that it is the same one. rolleyes.gif Great whites are "lone" anyways.Me and darkside know what we are talking about,so there is no point in trying to beat us. rolleyes.gif

Canadain no offense but even though he stated he doesn't know as much abou sharks as we do, its no reason to treat him as if hes wrong in everything, but you are right about the whole great white thing, and about how people will kill it just because they think its the one that attacked/killed a person.