Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Great white sharks

Canadian Rottweiler

I never said that he is wrong about everything. rolleyes.gif I said that,although he does have his own opinion,he is wrong in this case. cool.gif

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Canadian Rottweiler

• Panthera leo atrox

• DarkSide

• Vox

I can't be right about everything! In any case, I understand where you are coming from, sharks are not my speciality. However if sharks are solitary creatures then using my previous example, if somebody was attacked in Gibraltar (which is not their usual habitat, but Great Whites HAVE come across the straits into the mediterranean) and a Great White was caught within the same day in the bay of Algeciras (Cadiz) then there is a pretty strong relationship that the shark was the one who perpertrated the attack. I don't think that this sounds very outlandish to say the least.

In any case Canadian I just want know what makes you say that the ocean belongs to sharks. Does that include bays, and beaches as well or are you specifically saying the ocean (i.e. Pacific, Indian,etc.)? I mean theoretically we are the ones deciding whether to "save" a species or not as the case might be so as a consequence doesn't that make us the ones calling the shots, earth, sea, air or otherwise?

Edited by Vox

I see where you are coming from,but yes the ocean does belong to the sharks.As they were there first,and there is no reason to kill them off just because they wanna eat.A shark has never actually eaten a person.They take,what is called,a tester bite.Which is one bite.When the shark tastes the blood of a human,it realizes that it has made a mistake(they hate the taste of humans)and they leave instantly.They are very smart,even though people like yourself wouldn't think so.Anyways,like I said earlier,there is a new device that will soon be on shores that will repel sharks by confusing them,and scaring them off.This does not harm them,nor any other sea life. grin2.gif Nets can be removed,less craetures will die,and humans will be much,much safer while in the water on the shore.Scuba divers are already using this device.The underwater edition of it repels sharks up to 10 feet away from the diver,and the shark(s) will immediately leave the area.I would not use this though,because I am studying sharks,and I can't get enough of em.So I would want to get up close to them.(except for the great white scared.giflaugh.gif ).

A shark has never actually eaten a person.

Sure they have! Just not as often as test bites.

A shark has NEVER eaten a person whole.NEVER.Any reports of this happening(I have heard of some)are just myths.Maybe it has happened "off record",but not "on record". original.gif If you have proof of your statement Leo,then show me. original.gif

oo, you meant eaten whole! Heck, a maneating lion never eats all of it's kill, just the parts it likes. Same with sharks, when you get to odd one that decides to make a meal out of a human. There was the 1916 maneater, for example. It's thought that that shark or sharks may have been out of place and had little else to eat, so they went after humans. Great whites, for example, don't like humans because they're too bony, but if they're really hungry, maybe desprate, I dunno why they would shun us as food. And tiger sharks will eat just about anything. Just because they don't like to eat doesn't mean they NEVER have.

http://www.elasmo-research.org/education/t...nj_maneater.htm

Some nasty incidents occured during WWII, with ships being sunk and survivers attracting sharks, who ate some of them.

http://www.texasescapes.com/WorldWarII/Loe...lis1Sinking.htm

Do you have proof (a good scource) that a shark NEVER ate anyone?

Obviously you don't know much about sharks. rolleyes.gif

Me and darkside know what we are talking about,so there is no point in trying to beat us. rolleyes.gif

347391[/snapback]

They are very smart,even though people like yourself wouldn't think so.

348908[/snapback]

why do you make it seem like vox is an idiot? He brought about a good point, which you didn't talk about, when he said that your whole opinion on people killing sharks would change if it was your relativethat died.

You dont know why shark are so fasicanting because you dont know what is beautiful or not.

346060[/snapback]

i saw this girl i thought was beautiful while i was in san antonio whistling2.gif

Edited by riotboy555

oo, you meant eaten whole! Heck, a maneating lion never eats all of it's kill, just the parts it likes. Same with sharks, when you get to odd one that decides to make a meal out of a human. There was the 1916 maneater, for example. It's thought that that shark or sharks may have been out of place and had little else to eat, so they went after humans. Great whites, for example, don't like humans because they're too bony, but if they're really hungry, maybe desprate, I dunno why they would shun us as food. And tiger sharks will eat just about anything. Just because they don't like to eat doesn't mean they NEVER have.

http://www.elasmo-research.org/education/t...nj_maneater.htm

Some nasty incidents occured during WWII, with ships being sunk and survivers attracting sharks, who ate some of them.

http://www.texasescapes.com/WorldWarII/Loe...lis1Sinking.htm

Do you have proof (a good scource) that a shark NEVER ate anyone?

349109[/snapback]

It is true that sharks have killed people due to blood loss and stuff,but a human has never been eaten whole.My source is an authorized oceans site,which I am not authorized to give out the name.Nor the password.But the records are there,and there is no documented incident of a shark eating someone whole.Sharks will NOT eat a human as a whole as,yes we are too bony,but we taste dredful to them.You know how buckley's tastes?We humans taste about 10 times worse,and sharks have more taste buds and receptors than us.So imagine how gross that would taste.

scared.gif

BTW,good links though dude thumbsup.gif

bones dont make any difference to a shark, their digestive acid is powerful enough to dissolve bones easily. im sure there have been cases of sharks eating all of somone, just cause you cant find anything about it on the internet dosnt mean it hasnt happened.

I stand by my statement until you can prove otherwise. original.gif

My source is a fisheries and oceans site,(very big company),and has all the documented attacks that ever happened.Although,maybe,I doubt it,but maybe a shark has eaten somebody that is not on record.Dont know...

BTW,yes they can break down bones,but we taste horrible to them.Imagine Buckleys,but 10 times worse.That is about the equivelant of what we taste like to them. scared.gif

Edited by Canadian

Canadian,

I just wanted to say that it appears to me that you dont know THAT much about the marine life and the ocean as you say you do, because you said that Killerwhale is the only whale that kills prey, and doesnt filter feed.

Killerwhales are not whales, its the largest species of dolphin. And I believe there are several species of whales that hunt and kill prey, such as there is the sperm whale.

You dont need to be suba diving to know stuff about the ocean.

If you cared to read my previous posts,then you wouldn't embarrass yourself like you just did. rolleyes.gif Read my previous posts,and see if I mentioned anything that you just said.

Don't try to tell me what I do and don't know either. rolleyes.gif If you think that you know more about it than me,than say so,and we will then see who knows what they are talking about. tongue.gif Oh,and also,I used to live right on the ocean,and I am studying marine biology for University.So if I were you,i wouldn't wanna test out my knowledge about this. tongue.giftongue.giftongue.gif

Edited by Canadian

The way I look at it is, there are way much more human than sharks. So I wont mind losing few human as a shark foods because they need to be protect a lot more than human does. Also most death came from panicing, panic is probably number one killer in the world because when person panic their body dont funiction as well and increase the speed of blood and the body end up working much harder which in end lead to death.

Also rhino, bee, wasp, hornets, dogs, etc... have killed way more people than shark does, so should we kill them all off? Also jelly fish kill a lot of people, so without sharks you would be swimming in their tentacles, so just be grateful that shark are out there to eat those pest.

BTW most of you obiviously dont know much about shark either!

"My source is an authorized oceans site,which I am not authorized to give out the name."

Too bad, it would help me understand what you're trying to say.

"But the records are there,and there is no documented incident of a shark eating someone whole"

No record of a maneating cat eating anyone whole either! Being a maneater doesn't mean that they have to eat all of their kill.

"we taste dredful to them"

Tiger sharks don't seam to care what their food tasts like. Why on earth would one eat a licence plate but refuse to eat a human? Pluse, sharks are known to scavenge off of dead people, so apparently not all of them mind the tast.

Some more info:

Bull sharks are known to occasionally swim up rivers and attack and eat people

http://www.fact-index.com/b/bu/bull_shark.html

Like they say, tiger sharks will eat just about anything

http://www.marinethemes.com/tigershark.html

Edited by Panthera leo atrox

Dude,you just don't get it.I know that tiger sharks scavenge,and i know about the weird things that they eat.A shark has NEVER eaten a diver whole.That is for sure.It is possible that a shark has eaten someone from a shipwreck though,or something like that.But not on record.Tiger sharks will eat anything that fits in their mouth.Like a human leg or arm.Not the whole person.The main reason that they eat licence plates,and stuff like that,is because they are attracted to shiny objects(never wear shiny objects while diving is one of the main rules of that,so i am sure about that grin2.gif )

I'm not arguing that they eat people whole. I'm saying that they occasionally hunt people for food. Is that too hard to understand?

If you cared to read my previous posts,then you wouldn't embarrass yourself like you just did. rolleyes.gif Read my previous posts,and see if I mentioned anything that you just said. 

Don't try to tell me what I do and don't know either. If you think that you know more about it than me,than say so,and we will then see who knows what they are talking about. Oh,and also,I used to live right on the ocean,and I am studying marine biology for University.So if I were you,i wouldn't wanna test out my knowledge about this.

this coming from the person that claimed that sharks and orcas are related, then denied it, but when i call you on your bluff you ignore it.

im gonna have to agree with greychupa. you talk about how much you know, but all you seem able to do is regurgitate what you see on tv and online.

sharks are not attracted to shiny things, they hunt by smell and the energy field that animals put off when they move, metal puts off such a field, thats why they will eat metal, license plates are not shiny, if according to you they wouldn't be interested, but they have found them in sharks, along with nails, and a suit of armor. you say you have lived on the ocean your whole life, big deal, so have i, and a lot of other people have too, they don't claim to know all about ocean life, just cause you scuba dive doesn't mean you know all kinds of stuff about the ocean, you can scuba dive in fresh water too, do you know everything about lakes streams and ponds as well??

and this "university" you go to, whats it called? i didn't know they let 16 year olds into advanced collage courses. you sure its a university? not a tv? what classes are you taking?? i have 2 friends who are majoring in marine biology ill run them by them. but you could just go and look them up couldn't you? just like all the things you claim...

Big mistake trying to p*** me off bloodmoon. po.gif For the last damn time,i never said that they are related,i said that it would be cool if they were.That is the 5th time answering that now. rolleyes.gif Can't read to well huh? rolleyes.gif Do you have books on marine biology and ocean life.Cause I have a lot. And YES,sharks are attracted to shiny things.Why do you think people fish for them with silver lures? rolleyes.gif Maybe cause they are attracted to shiny objects? rolleyes.gif By living on the ocean,and studying marine biology,i know a lot about it.I am not saying that I know everything about it,cause i don't,but i do know more than you.I am studying a little thing called biology in school.Which are courses directly from UBC(University of british columbia),one of the biggest universities in North America. grin2.gif I guess you didn't realize that I live in Canada. rolleyes.gif A little outside of the USA rolleyes.gif I am sure that it is not a tv.Don't believe me?Go prove your ignorance at 'University of British Columbia.com' devil.gif Don't you ever talk to me like trash.Friends,you can't possibly have friends with your attitude rolleyes.gif I can't look your "friends" up,but i can look up anything to do with documented attacks,and anything to do with sea life. grin2.gif So,feel embarrassed bloodmoon?

Edited by Canadian

I don't appreciate people treating me like garbage and saying that I basically know nothing. disgust.gif Hopefully bloodmoon is finished acting like a baby rolleyes.gif

I don't appreciate people treating me like garbage and saying that I basically know nothing. disgust.gif Hopefully bloodmoon is finished acting like a baby rolleyes.gif

352794[/snapback]

i don't know, man. you're the one treating everyone else on this thread like garbage, because you keep saying that you know more on the subject than anyone else here, and every time somone says something, you just blow it off, and say that you know more on the subject than that person. I live on the ocean as well, and i dont know jack about it, except its made of water and there's fish in it.

Big mistake trying to p*** me off bloodmoon. po.gif For the last damn time,i never said that they are related,i said that it would be cool if they were.That is the 5th time answering that now. rolleyes.gif Can't read to well huh? rolleyes.gif Do you have books on marine biology and ocean life.Cause I have a lot. And YES,sharks are attracted to shiny things.Why do you think people fish for them with silver lures? rolleyes.gif Maybe cause they are attracted to shiny objects? rolleyes.gif By living on the ocean,and studying marine biology,i know a lot about it.I am not saying that I know everything about it,cause  i don't,but i do know more than you.I am studying a little thing called biology in school.Which are courses directly from UBC(University of british columbia),one of the biggest universities in North America. grin2.gif I guess you didn't realize that I live in Canada. rolleyes.gif A little outside of the USA rolleyes.gif I am sure that it is not a tv.Don't believe me?Go prove your ignorance  at 'University of British Columbia.com' devil.gif Don't you ever talk to me like trash.Friends,you can't possibly have friends with your attitude rolleyes.gif I can't look your "friends" up,but i can look up anything to do with documented attacks,and anything to do with sea life. grin2.gif So,feel embarrassed bloodmoon?

352644[/snapback]

Better now riotboy555?It is called a heated debate.I don't want to be questioned on stuff that I already know.I started this thread,don't you think that I might know what I am talking about?

Edited by Canadian