Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

1 in 4 americansunaware that Earth circle sun

Von Bismarck

Americans are enthusiastic about the promise of science but lack basic knowledge of it, with one in four unaware that the Earth revolves around the Sun, said a poll out Friday.

The survey included more than 2,200 people in the United States and was conducted by the National Science Foundation.

Ten questions about physical and biological science were on the quiz, and the average score—6.5 correct—was barely a passing grade.

http://m.phys.org/news/2014-02-americans-unaware-earth-circles-sun.html

I feel like this is a B.S poll

• Like 2

So more fodder for the argument "America is a Third World Nation with a nuclear arsenal" then.

I so hope you're right.

all im saying is I can ask all however hundred contacts on my phone if the earth revolves around the sun and they will all get it right. And im sure everyone on U.M could ask every contact in their phone.

So idk if these people are just asking two year olds or what.

I think these people just want to make it look like Americans are super under educated about science so that they can get more funding.

From the super short article

"The result of the survey, which is conducted every two years, will be included in a National Science Foundation report to President Barack Obama and US lawmakers.

One in three respondents said science should get more funding from the government."

Every two years when they do this report they always have statistics claiming that Americans don't know what anything science is. I have an insanely hard time believing this. I would have to try to find someone who gets that question wrong and I feel like most people would say the same

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 1

Whatever the true statistics, it's still probably an abysmal turn out for not being interested in the reality of where we are and how our little sphere noodles its way about this bizarre backdrop. It's a sad state of affairs for humanity when a higher score would be collected if the question concerned this week's soap opera or reality tv buckaroo.

I believe this, here where I live the local news asks people easy questions about Long Island and people don't have a clue lol.

Lots of stupid people in the world lol

• Like 1