Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

US military awaits pizza that lasts years

Von Bismarck

They call it the holy grail of ready-to-eat meals for soldiers: a pizza that can stay on the shelf for up to three years and still remain good to eat.

Soldiers have been asking for pizza since lightweight individual field rations—known as meals ready to eat, or MREs—replaced canned food in 1981 for soldiers in combat zones or areas where field kitchens cannot be set up

http://m.phys.org/news/2014-02-military-awaits-pizza-years.html

If it can sit on a a shelf for that long it can't be that good.

• Like 1

I served for 9 years(U.S. Army), don't knock the MRE, they are actually very tasty. The company that manufactures them (MRE) takes great care that the food tastes good, because when you are thousands of miles from anywhere, and no relief in sight,(speaking from experience) a good meal means a lot. That is why they're (GI'S) are screaming for pizza. Because it reminds them of home, or anyplace other than where they are deployed to, because, correct me if I am wrong. That's the effect that pizza has on people.

Edited by ancient astronaut
  • Like 2

There are pizza franchises that have had that stuff for years.

• Like 1

I'm sure the military has their "ducks-in-a row", and I commend their efforts to bring gastric pleasure to our military service people.

Much like new "astronaut foods" which go through(I think) about 3-years of testing(maybe less) of the product(mold, food-breakdown, sterilization, etc...) and the type of packaging before medical approval.

Huh. Wonder how their pizza actually tastes. Can it be warmed first?

Edited by pallidin

I'm sure the military has their "ducks-in-a row", and I commend their efforts to bring gastric pleasure to our military service people.

Much like new "astronaut foods" which go through(I think) about 3-years of testing(maybe less) of the product(mold, food-breakdown, sterilization, etc...) and the type of packaging before medical approval.

Huh. Wonder how their pizza actually tastes. Can it be warmed first?

To answer your question, yes. Each MRE comes with an individual heater that requires adding only a little water (to fill line). Put the meal in the heated pouch and back in the box and after about 10 minutes or so, your entre is piping hot.

I'm sure these will be added to every survial shelter. We can't do without pizza. Maybe they can make more topping available later.

I heard about this on NPR, and I was like, that's the human race alright. O, the great lengths we will go, for a pizza!

Edited by eaglesareskykittens