Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

S-shaped radar trace mystery solved

UM-Bot

The strange snake-like trace was picked up by an Australian weather beareau radar last Wednesday.

While the radar can sometimes pick up unusual patterns, the image of a perfect s-shape on Wednesday's image soon had experts scratching their heads. The hit had been picked up around 30km to the west of Australia's Rottnest Island.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...-mystery-solved

• Like 1

Military training exercise by invaders from Mars...... :alien:

No, it's a Serpentine Overlord named Susan. :-)

• Like 1

Solved? I don't think so! Just because a Dept of Defence person says we did it, doesn't solve the mystery. HOW did they do it with a detailed explanation may explain it. I live in Perth and there is no way that if this was a contrail, chem trail or naval ships laying down a smokescreen it wouldn't have been seen by people on Rottnest (hundreds, sometimes thousands at this time of the year are on the island) and indeed the coast of Perth. There would have been countless Facebook photos and comments. There wasn't.

Simply accepting that because the D of D said they did it without asking the hard questions is very poor journalism.

• Like 1

It was suggested that the S shape was made up of radar reflective chaff, released from a plane, or planes. The Dept of Defense statement did not mention radar chaff specifically. They did call the incident a 'unique opportunity' for the radar to observe their work, due to apparently unusual atmospheric conditions.

Observing the same weather radar display in subsequent days I noted a number of very long, straight, thin lines, pretty obviously artificial, rather than natural. These typically appeared and disappeared in the course of about ten minutes.

I was at first inclined to think that these might be more examples of radar chaff. Two problems arose.

1.) The DoD statement seemed to indicate that the visibility of whatever it was they were doing had been a 'one off' business, not likely to continue for days thereafter.

2.) Due to the rapid appearance and disappearance of the lines, and their substantial length, I decided to do some calculations. On one occasion I found two nearly parallel lines, some 300 kilometers in length. These appeared between one radar display and the next, ten minutes later, and disappeared again, a further ten minutes on. The whole appearing and disappearing cycle then repeated itself in a similar length of time.

I reasoned that the 300 kilometer long lines would have had to have been let out in the space of ten minutes. That's actually very quick. 30 kilometers per minute, meaning some 1800 km per hour.

The fastest planes available to the Royal Australian Air Force are F/A 18 Hornets. These have a cruising speed of about 1250 kilometers per hour, and a maximum speed of around 1900. It seemed unlikely that what was described as a routine training exercise, would justify pushing these aging jets to very near their design limits.

Spreading radar chaff at the cruising speed of 1250 km/hr. seems far likelier. This would, however fail to account for the 300 kilometer long lines laid out in ten minutes time. The current display of the radar concerned, the one at Serpentine, Western Australia, can be viewed at:

http://www.bom.gov.a...R701.loop.shtml

Edited by bison

Well there is currently vast amounts of money to be made in drone technology. My guess is that it some experimental drone/s and probably testing some anti-radar or anti missile tech. Seeing as how the military have given a true/untrue statement on it I think that is the last we will know of it for a few years. They only thing we can hope for is that they have to keep testing and more people share their witness accounts so we can gradually build a bigger picture.

Just checked the radar display again (see my link, above). Another 300 kilometer long line is visible. Snaps into view in one radar frame, but is missing from the ones 10 minutes before and after. Quite strong and artificial looking. Same North North East-- South South West orientation as seen with the two parallel lines yesterday.

Edited by bison

It's an ongoing part of the covert weather wars being secretly fought by various governments all over the world in an effort to cause havoc through environmental disasters and famine.

It's an ongoing part of the covert weather wars being secretly fought by various governments all over the world in an effort to cause havoc through environmental disasters and famine.

That's funny. Thanks for the humor in all of this.

I was thinking that this was a message being spelled out that had an 'S' in it - sort of like a crop circle thingy in the sky. But weather wars is so much more fun. Could make it into a reality show. You could have Weather Wars hosted by old timers from the pro-wrestling circuit screaming at each other with a back drop of storms and lightning. Then they'd be talking about payback while sitting in a Faraday cage or maybe using their fingers as a Tesla coil as they wave a 'V' for victory. I'm sure that would appeal to a lot of people.

• Like 1

I'm still not satisfied with the sketchy explanation for the letter S. I do believe that I have an explanation for the straight lines, though. It was suggested to me that these could be radial interference spokes ( a well known radar anomaly) from an adjacent weather radar. They are not radial to the Serpentine radar, but, as it turns out they are, with respect to the next weather radar to the North, at Geraldton, Western Australia. The images I was looking at happened to incorporate data from other weather radars, besides the one at Serpentine, including Geraldton.

Well the Rottnest Monster has returned.

Either that or the Dreamtime has returned and this snake is back to carve out more river systems.

In all seriousness, such RADAR anomalies are not uncommon, over the last couple of years we have seen a variety of RADAR "UFO's" over Oztralyia.

Here are just a few:

australia.jpg

And Cairns had a giant "T" Over it at one stage:

Probably more likely than a giant aliens snake.

LINK - RADAR anomaly "odd" Page

Call it sketchy all you like, but look at the scale, it just has to be a glitch. And according to the colour code, the UFO snake is made out of moderate rainfall.

• Like 1