Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What do you all think of the Ouija Board ?

LostSouls7

What do you all think of Ouija Boards? Do you think it's a spiritual tool or just a game where people talk to themselves.

The few people I know who go it to work said they got haunted and had the predictions of the board come true.

It could've all been by chance or maybe there is more to it.

What do you think of the Ouija Board and why ?

I've played with one years ago, and know how it supposedly works, according to science, but it freaks the hell out of me, so I avoid it now.

I think it is just a tool, but that it can be a catalyst for people who are already messed up to get more messed up.

• Like 1

When my mum was young, she attended a Hen's night for a friend. As a laugh they pulled out a Ouija Board and eventually asked "will the marriage be happy". The reply -NO! Obvious follow-up question, "why"? The reply - DEATH! Three weeks after the wedding, both husband and wife died in a car crash.

On the other side of the coin, I used a Ouija Board when I was a teenager, we got a spirit claiming to be Shai'tan residing in the 666th level of hell, nothing ever happened despite its threats.

So make of it what you will. Believers will say my experience was with a mischievous spirit, it's too campy to be legitimate threats, while mum's experience was with a malevolent spirit who really did curse the marriage. I can't disprove this, and since I do believe in a spirit realm I cannot say they're wrong. Of course, non-believers will simply say mum's friend had bad luck. Again I can't disprove it. So as said, make of it what you will.

Edited by Paranoid Android
  • Like 1

I believe it is harmless.

• Like 2

I also had a friend who asked about her future love..

and her husband and first born died.

The 2nd marriage she didn't ask or play with the Ouija after that.

Like you said it could be by chance or just something that truly happened because of that..

The board itself is not "evil"

However, the intended use of it can be, and in fact, often is.

Stay away from anything remotely connected to the "occult"

• Like 3

A short history of the Ouija Board.

"No one seems to know just who invented the Ouija board but it may have been Elijah Bond, since his name is on the original patent documents as the inventor. It may have been Charles Kennard, but regardless of who actually invented the board, he and Kennard Novelty Company patented the ouija board which became very popular at the turn of the twentieth century. He received the patent on February 10, 1891. He called the new creation "Ouija" because he claims the board told him that Ouija was Egyptian for "Good Luck." "

http://zohrala.com/ouija/history.htm

I also had a friend who asked about her future love..

and her husband and first born died.

The 2nd marriage she didn't ask or play with the Ouija after that.

Like you said it could be by chance or just something that truly happened because of that..

Chance? I humbly disagree. Many people have used Ouija boards and had revelations come true. Thing is, such revelations tend to be negative and people end up either Demon-oppressed, cursed or dead. Not to be rude but... are you serious about that couple that died in the car crash?

Ouija boards have a bad reputation for a reason. When used we're basically giving an evil spirit the legal right in the spirit-realm to curse, haunt and, or oppress us.

Edited to add, as I'd forgotten about this, but my father claims to have used an Ouija board once with his brother's when they were children or teenager's.

Think all they asked was for a spirit to reveal itself by Ouija board. And it did.

Anyway, he said the night they used it, one of their bunk-bed's began to shake violently as they all ran as quickly as they could to get out of the room, pushing and shoving to get out of the door. Apparently nothing happened after that. He recall's spending the night in the same room without any problem.

The next day however, he'd later go on to find out through family that the bloke next door had passed away two day's prior to them having used the board.

Still creeps me out to this day.

Edited by Insaniac
  • Like 1

The board itself is not "evil"

However, the intended use of it can be, and in fact, often is.

Stay away from anything remotely connected to the "occult"

My sentiments, too. Intention is everything. Don't use it will ill intentions.

Go into it with a light heart and positive attitude.

Like anything with life, it's all about the approach.

• Like 2

. Not to be rude but... are you serious about that couple that died in the car crash?

I was relating a story my mum told me. I wasn't even born when the events actually happened, but I have no reason to think mum would lie. If she did lie it would be the only time in her life she ever did, heck she even told me Santa was fake. So while I can't empirically know the couple died in a crash, I have testimony from a reliable witness that such a thing did happen. Edited by Paranoid Android

My magic eight ball predicted the sex of my niece's first kid

My magic eight ball predicted the sex of my niece's first kid

Revealing the future =/= predicting an event.

• Like 1

I just can't take seriously what's advertised as a game that's mass-produced by Hasbro somewhere in New Jersey. My friends and I played with it as kids and besides deliciously spooking ourselves out, nothing ever happened. We were prepared to be scared, but since nothing even remotely scary occurred, we got tired of it and went back to playing cards and riding our bikes.

• Like 3

My sentiments, too. Intention is everything. Don't use it will ill intentions.

Go into it with a light heart and positive attitude.

Like anything with life, it's all about the approach.

Depends on if Everyone is doing so. Since it is not possible to seriously know another person's intentions, I think it best to avoid.

• Like 1

i am a complete skeptic, so i think a ouija board is in most cases, a piece of wood. or cardboard. you know, depending on the construction.

i know that people have all sorts of stories about things they've experienced, and I don't think those people are lying. but i know from my own life how easy it is to influence your own memories, and to give minor incidents meaning that they may not have actually possessed. the mind is incredibly easy to fool.

i would say that there are some people who shouldn't use them, but for different reasons than most mentioned. when i was a kid, i was very imaginative and very easily frightened, and i could have easily terrified myself with this sort of thing.

also, my own experience: the one time i tried a ouija board, as an adult, nothing happened. like, we didn't even spell any words. unless you think "lvkspts" is a word.

• Like 1

I just can't take seriously what's advertised as a game that's mass-produced by Hasbro somewhere in New Jersey. My friends and I played with it as kids and besides deliciously spooking ourselves out, nothing ever happened. We were prepared to be scared, but since nothing even remotely scary occurred, we got tired of it and went back to playing cards and riding our bikes.

When I did it, we just had a cardboard piece cut from a box, and the ear piece of an old telephone. I don't think I've ever seen a mass produced version of it. As far as board games go, though, I'd prefer Risk :P
  • Like 1

To those who say 'stuff' couldn't just be by chance or coincidence, I'm afraid I must advise caution with such dismissals of the mundane, especially when you don't even give a thought to just how probability + psychology works. I'll just pose a few questions that I would suggest you think *hard* about...

1. How many Ouija boards are out there?

2. How often are any 'positive' predictions/events reported?

3. How often are negatives or 'failures' reported?

4. What are the motivations for 2. and 3. and how are you factoring that into your dismissal/probability calculations?

5. Have you (or your friends/family) never embellished a story over the years? Have all your stories stayed exactly the same, or do they get just a little better as the years go by?

6. Are you 100% sure that every memory you have, every story you tell, is exactly accurate, and that your brain has perfect recollections even after many years?

If your answer to 6. is yes, you are kidding yourself, and really need to research this topic. Perhaps start with a quick look here, and similar works by Loftus and others. Frankly, human beings are *horrible* at perceiving/remembering events accurately.

And in regard to 5 and 6 does that mean you (or your partner or grandparent or whomever) is a liar? It really annoys me when people use the false dichotomy routine, eg - "So, you say my story isn't 100% true and you are calling me a LIAR????" It's not about being liars, it's about selective reporting, human perceptions and psychology.

As a rather pitiful example of the selective reporting issue, over the years I've flown many, many times on commercial jets. I vividly remember on at least two occasions before a flight I dreamt that the plane crashed.... The first time it happened, it was a flight that I needed to take to go to a rather important job interview, and me not being into the paranormal, I took it anyway. No incident and I got the job... Same lack of crash the second time and ever since. Now how many times might people dream about plane crashes before a flight..? How many times do you think you will hear about all the times when nothing happens? But do you reckon you will hear about it when by normal chance it *does* and somehow the person reports their 'premonition'? Of course you will.

So (in case it wasn't obvious) in my opinion the Ouija board is a silly toy that, in a way, preys on people's beliefs. By its very design, only one person engaging in its use has to have a small glint in their eye.. and indeed, they may not even recognise what they are doing subconsciously...

• Like 3

We tried it as kids many times, but someone always ended up pushing it this way or that and then the accusations "You're moving it" and such would bust out and the game would end with pouts and "I'm going home".

Never any fun, imo. Not even creepy.

Edited by QuiteContrary
  • Like 1

My dearest friend and I played it once about 30 years ago (we weren't in our teen nor preteen), and never again. Yes, it moved by itself (with a purpose)... Edited by No-thingBornPassion
  • Like 1

What do you all think of Ouija Boards? Do you think it's a spiritual tool or just a game where people talk to themselves.

The few people I know who go it to work said they got haunted and had the predictions of the board come true.

It could've all been by chance or maybe there is more to it.

I think it's just a normal board that only has as much power as the user chooses it to have. If I'm right, then my question becomes 'do you think there is a tangible power to invoking intent, and what do you think of using symbols or rituals in honing intent to produce outcomes'?

I've seen some seemingly magical properties to the power of intent in honed positive thinking and mindset to goals, so I am leaning strongly towards the possibility that there is something real to the power of harnessed intent, and that a Ouija board can be an effective tool, as can anything really.

• Like 2

predicting an event.

is strong terminology anyway for answers spanning different forms of only yes, no, or "ask again later".

Since the Bible says it is forbidden to practice witchcraft, or to use a medium to communicate with the spirit world any way other than prayer to the Father through Jesus, and people get responses, this is not from anything good.

Sometimes a little playing with something like that can seem harmless since nothing happened other than the wooden piece moving around to answer simple questions; but there is a spirit world we should be aware of it and understand demon possession does happen.

A divining rod to seek for water is another example of something that seems harmless but is a dangerous first step.

God bless

• Like 1

As humans, we look for confirmatory events or evidence to support our suppositions. This is a useful survival trait, but can also be misleading. For example, if you believe in the occult, then you will likely look for evidence that supports the notion that the occult exists. This can become an "ism," as in occultism, when you seek others to further support your supposition. My advice, avoid the ouija board as you have already expressed concern as to its negative characteristics. Why harm yourself?

• Like 1

I think through the idometer effect and connecting to deep levels of your subconscious, the ouji can connect with deeper levels of reality. The game itself is just a board. You can the same effects with a pendullum or automatic writing.

The key here is to understand that the characters that come through if not completely fabricated are a bit like dream characters. Some are terribly dark and manifestations of your jungian shadow while others are not. If you believe in a metaphysical reality, it is through these layers that you connect with other beings, so yeah I think it's possible.

I think it's a mistake to attach evil to it. This is simply the typical fear mongering attached to anything that involves personal exploration of the deeper levels of reality weather metaphysical or psychological.

In some sense it has a reality though human beings are indeed terribly dark and fearful. Our animal instincts must be for our survival and we hide from this side of ourselves rather than acknowledging it. Any exploration of self will necessarily bubble this up and you will be forced to confront it. The dark experience of the game iI think are a reflection of this. I would caution somone using a ouiji seriously that dark things are a necessary layer of digging, but this true with other things as well.

kids messing around with it are in no danger. It is like anything else. It is what you make of it.

Edited by White Crane Feather
  • Like 1

I think through the idometer effect and connecting to deep levels of your subconscious, the ouji can connect with deeper levels of reality. The game itself is just a board. You can the same effects with a pendullum or automatic writing.

The key here is to understand that the characters that come through if not completely fabricated are a bit like dream characters. Some are terribly dark and manifestations of your jungian shadow while others are not. If you believe in a metaphysical reality, it is through these layers that you connect with other beings, so yeah I think it's possible.

I think the problem is that this is (usually) a multiple person activity. So, if you have one person who expresses a very negative response, all are going to affected negatively. It can allow not just one person to move their thoughts to a different level, but allow that person to move the thoughts of others, which IMHO is dangerous.