Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Have you read your own posts since you joined

Brian Topp

Question for those who have been here for years, have you read threads when you joined years ago and compare to where you are now and agree with your views or perhaps feel a bit wiser or decensored by recent new threads?

• Like 9

I originally joined in 2011, so being here for a short time, I remember a lot of what I've posted and I totally have. Hell when I rejoined last year, I was pretty much a full on believer in the Paranormal, I used to want to go on ghost hunts and everything. Loved ghost hunters, The Haunted and all those shows. But over the course of the year, thanks to quite a number of podcasts, I'm now a full blown Skeptic.

Edited by krypter3
  • Like 2

Given the dribbling lunacy I routinely post, no. It'd be too saddening.

• Like 5

I remember I use to type in a large font. Thank god I don't do that now. I just had problems with reading things off the screen because I am near blind.

• Like 1

Given the dribbling lunacy I routinely post, no. It'd be too saddening.

lol.

I was thinking this question the other day. I believed UFOs and ETs were among us and this was my view of reality. I thank all the people who opened my eyes to the other reality, Charlz and Seeder to name a couple.

I have read my past posts and by the look of some of them, yes im crazy :yes:

• Like 3

Sometimes I read old posts because I'm linking to them. I don't really think any differently though because most of what I've posted are just experiences. So even with my very first thread I started I still think the same because it was an experience. So I haven't really changed much in what I believe because I always took a 'testing it' way of thinking and I'm still testing things now. As I've said before.. I'm kinda like a scientist. The main thing I notice when reading old posts though is my writing style and how its changed over time.

And I think the main thing I've become sceptical about over time is other people(and their motives).

Edited by Kazahel

My opinions haven't really changed, although I have noticed that I'm a little less tolerant of stupid stuff. Case in point the guy who posted the owl on top of the dead rabbit in the snow and then tried to claim it was a picture of a demon........not an owl on top of a dead rabbit.

If I'd have been an admin I might well have simply reached down, grabbed the red lever and catapulted his behind off into never-never land, and yes I do know that the currant admins don't do that......but wish they would at times.

• Like 2

the reason I have asked you all is because I have seen old threads getting necroposted and reading my posts show how poor my grammar has gotten over the years

• Like 3

I started out a wide eyed curious young adult (as user mattk4today) in 2007, when I was totally washed over by the whole ghosts/NDE/shadow people internet genre. Eventually, due to others here, I became the stereotypical skeptic, always quick to rationalize people's views and anecdotes on here, feeling as if I was being intelligent and grounded. I was like this for awhile, until a few years ago when the way I am changed after a dream filled night and day. Then I got interested in spirituality and dreams area. And now I don't know why I come here anymore. I just always have.

The era I'm most embarrassed about is the 'skeptic' one, because if I'm to be honest, that whole run was more about me attempting to look intelligent or right, in front of others more so than trying to find any answers or do any searching for myself into topics. I was playing a role. That's why I tend to give the more militant skeptics here a hard time now. I can't help but wonder if they're playing that same role, but would never say it.

• Like 5

the reason I have asked you all is because I have seen old threads getting necroposted and reading my posts show how poor my grammar has gotten over the years

Believe it or not but I feel mine has improved. lol. And I'm still pretty shocking at it.

I hope you didn't take when I ended my post as being sceptical/skeptical of people and their motives as having to do with this thread. I mean that just in general. So when I read my old posts I was more willing to share but now not so much. I am extremely untrusting now and for good reasons that I'm sure people would know(and that's the sad part).

I especially stay out of the fun and games section and I'm surprised I bothered posting in there at all now. I used to enjoy writing Haiku and posting music(a song thread in that section) but I felt it became a place for trolls to basically turn something I was trying to express that was nice and light hearted into nasty replies between the lines from certain people. So I could never report those posts because they were considered 'poems' and 'art' and just a 'game'. Threads like never ending story for example were just a way for trolls and nasty people to attack others between the lines. Same with the live chat area and so now I would never go into either of those sections again. I got drawn into the bs for a little trying to defend myself but in the end I didn't want to become like them so I left and will never go back. So I do regret even bothering.

I do miss writing haiku though(not unholy haiku but normal haiku)but I know even now if I did, someone would just post a nasty haiku under it and I'd find that upsetting.

So yeah I feel a little wiser now in that regard. I know this might not of quite been what you were after in this thread but anyway.

Edited by Kazahel
  • Like 1

I started out a wide eyed curious young adult (as user mattk4today) in 2007, when I was totally washed over by the whole ghosts/NDE/shadow people internet genre. Eventually, due to others here, I became the stereotypical skeptic, always quick to rationalize people's views and anecdotes on here, feeling as if I was being intelligent and grounded. I was like this for awhile, until a few years ago when the way I am changed after a dream filled night and day. Then I got interested in spirituality and dreams area. And now I don't know why I come here anymore. I just always have.

The era I'm most embarrassed about is the 'skeptic' one, because if I'm to be honest, that whole run was more about me attempting to look intelligent or right, in front of others more so than trying to find any answers or do any searching for myself into topics. I was playing a role. That's why I tend to give the more militant skeptics here a hard time now. I can't help but wonder if they're playing that same role, but would never say it.

Are you always so hones ;-)????

Peace

Mark

I think I have changed over the last few years. I think my posts here reflect that, but not by terribly too much

I have read only very few of my much older posts, and some of them I feel a bit embarrassed about because of the naivety I see in them. I've learnt a lot in the time I've been here on UM, which has definitely hardened opinions I held regarding various things - as well as adjusting my approach to new topics (or old) to being from a more sceptical position.

• Like 2

Question for those who have been here for years, have you read threads when you joined years ago and compare to where you are now... snip...?

Hell no. I used to care greatly about discussing and debating mysteries in great depth. Then I discovered that women really loved my erotic stories. The rest is history (and oh, what a history it is :wub:B) ).

It's quite refreshing to see someone admit that they'd prefer to blindly accept any claim at face value rather than to expend any energy (mental or otherwise) in trying to find a plausible, rational and/or scientific explanation. It takes guts to do that, and is akin to jumping off a ten story building thinking that you will survive because you believe you can fly. Bravo!

And I mean that with absolutely no sincerity. :rolleyes:

I sometimes read some of my older stuff, usually when a necropost pops up or when I'm looking for a necrothread in relation to a recently posted thread.

I've learned a lot. I play the CMA game a bit differently than I used to. I'm more of a mother hen "play nice folks" sort than I used to be I think. I keep my spooky views a bit closer in the vest now. Tend to look at stories a bit more clinically rather than speculatively. I started out hard about legality and spooky, and I've gotten almost overly hard about it.

I think in general I still agree with my views I've held in years past. I know I approach some of them a bit differently than I used to.

• Like 1

It's quite refreshing to see someone admit that they'd prefer to blindly accept any claim at face value rather than to expend any energy (mental or otherwise) in trying to find a plausible, rational and/or scientific explanation. It takes guts to do that, and is akin to jumping off a ten story building thinking that you will survive because you believe you can fly. Bravo!

And I mean that with absolutely no sincerity. :rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

He did no such thing. Was admitting he was at one time a Pseudo skeptic. "Plausible, rational, scientific" are not strong points of the pseudo skeptical stance.

Edited by White Crane Feather

I have changed a lot over the few years I have been here now, and have to admit have been influenced greatly by this forum. Ok, maybe influenced is not the word, but this forum HAS helped me challenge some things and go through a process I wouldn't have otherwise I'm sure. But I don't regret anything I've posted (that I can think of or remember) and I'm glad I did not turn into a skeptic but can see how others would fall into that trap. I think no matter what, in this life we shouldn't be conformists. We should continue to use our own minds and experiences, to process things, more than we should popular opinion, outrageous opinion, or the opinions of others etc.. but at the same time discussion is SOMETIMES helpful and can shed some light on things.

• Like 1

lol.

I was thinking this question the other day. I believed UFOs and ETs were among us and this was my view of reality. I thank all the people who opened my eyes to the other reality, Charlz and Seeder to name a couple.

:tu: Why thanks for the compliment!! I dont get many :lol:

• Like 1

To answer the OP, no I dont really look back at old posts. BUT having said that, some threads Im currently in - I will re-read a few times, specially when they have gotten to be 'lively' discussions. And theres been a few of them :lol:

When I first joined I just pretty much read the other posts for a long time before I started posting myself, But Id say Iv become wiser by reading some of the saner posts. For re- reading old posts of mine I rarely do.

Edited by ReaperS_ParadoX

lol.

And thanks from me, too Taniwha. May I return the compliment in this way - I really enjoy discussing weird and mysterious topics, no matter how off-the-planet they may be, as long as the debaters are prepared to debate in good faith and are not so attached to their belief that any contrary information is seen as a personal insult. Taniwha, you are one of the good'uns and I enjoy reading your posts!

As to the question, yes, I do revisit my stuff, but only as new posts and information arise that set the topic off again. I am often guilty of abandoning topics when I have said I will offer further analysis, but that only happens when interest in the topic seems to have died. If anyone revives it, I'll get off my backside.. usually...

• Like 2

:rolleyes:

He did no such thing. Was admitting he was at one time a Pseudo skeptic. "Plausible, rational, scientific" are not strong points of the pseudo skeptical stance.

And your point is?

Or did you miss my last line?

• Like 1