Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

[Merged] Ghost caught on film?

Subsonicjourno

I think it's pretty difficult to prove anything paranormal at this point even if it's real, as scientifically speaking it's not dis-proven, because of the fact that vfx exists and eye witnesses can also be discredited or doubted.

• Like 1

Too hard to make anything definitive about this at all.

As has already been said, outside moving lights can often cause inside moving shadows.

And the CCTV overtaping(loop taping) as Brian suggested, is a strong authentication problem.

• Like 2

I do not believe that the flickering lights themselves are supposed to be what we are looking at.

A) Over the bar in the back is an area which can be seen to be empty at some points, but what appears to be a human form passes by it once or twice, and at another point it appears that a person is standing there (as the form of a head and shoulders can briefly be seen.

B) When the form is not visible at the far end of the bar, the shadow of what appears to be a person pacing back and forth can be seen on the wall (where all the photos are).

The flashes of light could definitely be a machine of some sort, or maybe cars going by with their lights shining it. Hard to say, because some of the lights appear to be on the opposite side of the bar (out of frame on the left, and responsible for the lights showing up on the right hand wall) and there also appears to be a second light positioned behind the camera (which can be seen brightening the bottles and glasses on the bar.) It's an odd configuration of lighting, but nothing which couldn't be explained.

All of that being said though, the time stamp looks very fishy. Why do the hundred of a second never appear to go about .29? It goes from '00' to around '29' before the second changes. That should be getting all the way to 100. The only thing I can think of is that maybe the camera only records 1/5th of every second to preserve storage space?

In summary, it's interesting, but very easily fake-able. And faking this would be a lot cheaper than taking out ads in the paper or putting them on the telly.

SiliRat

It's not necessarily "fake" but all of the likely causes pointed out here seem pretty reasonable. I haven't had a chance to look at it closely but the light over the door doesn't flicker and the light source looks like it's coming through a window. Could the human image(s) that appear at the end of the bar be 'burned' in on the tape since it's been recorded over so many times? I would imagine that is an area, during business hours, that has someone standing there a lot and under a brighter light.

• Like 1

It does look like it's no more than an effect caused by whatever the lights were. Is this pub on a road? This might be no more than say a Highways vehicle - flashing its amber lights - making the effect happen.

In any case, good footage, no matter what it may show!

I would imagine that is an area, during business hours, that has someone standing there a lot and under a brighter light.

Yes, that can indeed cause a partial "burn-in" on a loop tape.

EDIT: I work with computers, and I know that a hard-drive can suffer from prior corruption if that newly recorded area is not "cleaned" 3 or even 7 times prior.

A "residual effect" due to the way magnetic coatings tend to slightly hold on to prior recordings.

Some CCTV recording devices use loop tapes(VCR type tapes, but looped) for recording, whereas others use a hard drive, which is often re-recorded(depending on capacity)

There is no technical advantage to looping(in fact rather it's a hinderance), just cost savings.

Either way, with tapes or hard drives, true "scrubbing" takes time, and the more expensive systems use a dual recording media(one is "scrubbed" while the other one already "scrubbed" automatically takes over the recording.

I don't know, but I somewhat doubt that the pub in question had the more expensive system.

Edited by pallidin
  • Like 1

The way that the video cuts out makes me suspect somethings up.

I agree that the light in the background on what looks like a wall next to a door could be headlights.

• Like 1

Yeah, the "cut" could be for any number of reasons, but the lights and moving shadows could most certainly be explained by an outside moving light source.

• Like 1

Can just tell its not genuine. Stinks of cgi or some kind of editing. For me it is very easy to tell a fake with just one viewing.

It's probably not fake but it's likely not a ghost either. Many good explanations for these anomolies have been pointed out already in this thread.

• Like 1

I go for the looped or superimposition analysis. I swear that you can make out the barman on the right hand side and other customers.

• Like 1

That's police car lights and just around the time the figure appears it seems there are glass panel reflections around it. Come to think of it, why would a ghost be reflective?

Edited by mesuma
  • Like 1

I don't know what to make of it tbh but i'm more inclined to say its probably headlights. Looks creepy though. Is it just me or has this site gone a bit stale lately? Every-time something interesting pops up its dismissed instantly as cgi or fake. Granted most things are probably those things but wheres the fun in not entertaining the possibility that it could be real? Even on things where no-one has a definitive answer its branded as fake or cgi.

• Like 1

The pub isn't on a highway, just a street, but like everyone else says its probably headlights. Those lights also seem to reflect and ghosts never show up in mirrors or reflections of any sort

Wow, that was just ... fun!

I love British Pubs. They're so civilized. In America we just have Bars, Honky-Tonks, and Cantinas.

Edited by Mark56

It's probably not fake but it's likely not a ghost either. Many good explanations for these anomolies have been pointed out already in this thread.

No need for the explainations. Its video editng, CGI whatever you want to call it. Well done though i give them that but still, its not a great standard and is glaringly obvious. The flashing light is 100% real and on the original footage but everything else is added.

No need for the explainations. Its video editng, CGI whatever you want to call it. Well done though i give them that but still, its not a great standard and is glaringly obvious. The flashing light is 100% real and on the original footage but everything else is added.

I disagree. I don't see the need for foul play or "fakery" when, as others have pointed out, there are natural explanations for why a cctv camera could produce these results. Why leap straight to the assumption that someone faked it? It's clearly not a ghost but that doesn't mean the post isn't legitimate.

• Like 2

I have a few theories on this case.

A) Ambulance/Police lights, This can causes shadows and random movement a long the wall.

B). Constant over taping the tape, The blinking and imagines are over lapping video footage, There been a few cases where the timer has had two numbers in it. Look at frame 15 and frame 27.

This is good.

Anyways aformentioned post- Your friend should've checked for any way to debunk the ghost tape, quote above this explains it all.

So this skeptical paranormal team (yes there are people out there who are skeptics and go paranormal hunting) made a mimic version of the pub.

• Like 3

So this skeptical paranormal team (yes there are people out there who are skeptics and go paranormal hunting) made a mimic version of the pub.

[media=]

[/media]

Cool! I liked this one better than the original. lol

• Like 1

http://www.mancheste...-camera-6717451 friend of mine posted this news story on facebook. Looked pretty freaky.

The freaky footage, which appears to show a shadowy figure flickering into view by the bar, was filmed at Ye Olde Man and Scythe in Bolton.

Manager Tony Dooley spotted the spectre when he checked the cameras on Friday morning and found they had mysteriously stopped recording at 6.18am.

The freaky footage, which appears to show a shadowy figure flickering into view by the bar, was filmed at Ye Olde Man and Scythe in Bolton.

Digital video cameras tend to produce lots of artifacts, especially in low light conditions. They are functions of the coding and scanning algorithms used by the DSP . What we see here appears to be typical coding errors for low light DV recordings. Of course if it attracts patrons to the pub, why not call it a ghost?

Edited by sinewave

• 3 weeks later...

WITH fans awaiting the third instalment of the Ghostbusters movie franchise — The Bolton News reporters Liam Thorp and Jeremy Culley made their case for starring roles as they set out on a ghost hunting mission at Bolton’s haunted pub

WHEN CCTV footage emerged of what appeared to be a ghostly presence at Bolton’s oldest pub — Ye Olde Man and Scythe in Churchgate — myself and Jeremy decided to build up the “spirit” to spend a night searching for the pub’s paranormal patron.

As we set off on our mission, I think it is safe to say we were both sceptical.

To watch the video or read rest of the article: http://www.thisislancashire.co.uk/news/11076482.VIDEO__We_spend_a_night_in_Bolton_s__most_haunted__pub/

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Cool video regardless