Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Snake-handling preacher dies of snake bite

UM-Bot

Pastor Jamie Coots is believed to have died after being bitten on the right hand by a rattlesnake.

Coots had become a well known figure due to his appearances on the National Geographic show "Snake Salvation" which focused on exploring the unusual snake handling practices at his church in Bell County.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...s-of-snake-bite

• Like 1

Yeah, saw the story elsewhere.

Silly person, he should have sought medical help.

If you play with fire sometimes you get burnt.

• Like 1

He looks like he is old enough to know better.

I'm sure those of his kind will say that he didn't have enough faith this time, and that's what killed him.

• Like 1

My grandfather was one of these people.

Some crazy b*******. Course he never told his congregations about how hed go a county over to a hospital every sunday night

Is anybody the least bit upset that he died? His doctrine might have been wacky, but he was a human being for crying out loud!

• Like 1

I love crazy pastors; they're good value.

This is the best thing I think I've ever seen:

[media=]

[/media]

CROM! Count the dead!

Is anybody the least bit upset that he died? His doctrine might have been wacky, but he was a human being for crying out loud!

I personnally am saddened that he died, but I am not going to gnash my teeth and wail, for someone who basically let himself die.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temptation_of_Christ

Once more, Jesus maintained his integrity and responded by quoting scripture, saying, "Again it is written, 'You shall not put the Lord, your God, to the test.'" (Matthew 4:7) from Deuteronomy 6:16.

This is exactly what these folks are doing. They are challenging God to preserve them from these snakes. Trusting in God to preserve you from snakes would apply if you encounter a snake in the woods, or in a field, not one you're purposefully carrying in your hand to try to prove some kind of invulnerability.

• Like 2

These Let's just call the "Idiots" take this obscure passage and take it to literal translation, no *****N S**T you're gonna get bit.

The whole thing was based on the last passages in the Gospel of Mark.

And those passages didn't even exist in earlier copies.

• Like 2

first of all i didn't know him so it's illogical for me to be upset over his passing, especially when it is by his own doing more or less.

secondly, people die. all the time, and for all sorts of reasons. i accept that.

• Like 2

I am more sad that there are millions of childern starving in africa, than a moron playing with snaking, thinking God is making him invinsable.

Edited by The Id3al Experience
  • Like 3

There is supposedly a death in the US every 14 seconds. We can't weep for them all. Not as it happens anyway.

• Like 1

Is anybody the least bit upset that he died?

Not in the slightest. People die all the time. I'm more upset that I have to be into work early tomorrow.

Besides, people that are not trained to handle deadly animals should not handle deadly animals. Unless they want to die.

• Like 2

Let's just call these "Idiots" that take this obscure passage and take it to literal translation what they are. no *****N S**T you're gonna get bit.

It's unfortunate his faith lead to such a dangerous practice, but I'm not upset, this is something he chose. Not everyone is lucky enough to get the option of medical treatment.
  • Like 4

His doctrine might have been wacky, but he was a human being for crying out loud!

My great-grandfather had that gift. He was considered a Christian healer (especially snake bites) and never charged people for the healing. He was able to stop a snake in his tracks. Long story. Some Christians believe in faith healing, and perhaps it's the reason why Pastor Coots didn't go to the hospital. I'm sure he's in Heaven now.
  • Like 1

Yes, I'm upset he killed himself - it is sad how misguided he had become that he would not be capable of recognising the fallacy of his own mindset at the time. A cautionary tale to be taken seriously lest we lose more in a similar fashion.

• Like 3

It is too bad his fanaticism caused him to be careless but he deliberately and knowingly did this to himself however I can say that I am glad he didn't do this to someone else so he could refuse them medical help too.

• Like 1