Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Snake-handling preacher dies of snake bite

UM-Bot

Is anybody the least bit upset that he died? His doctrine might have been wacky, but he was a human being for crying out loud!

Would you be upset if someone played Russian Roulette with an automatic because they believed God would stop the bullets for them? I'm all for people seeking thrills if they want, but I don't feel upset over base jumpers failing to pull their chute in time or illusionists suffocating during a live burial trick. This is just another bit of evidence that religious belief is harmful to human survival and prosperity. It's even worse if he's a father because his fanaticism overrode his human instinct to survive in order to protect his children. If he's not then it's one nut case removed from the gene pool and we're better off without him.

• Like 2

Is anybody the least bit upset that he died? His doctrine might have been wacky, but he was a human being for crying out loud!

He was probably loved by the people around him and I feel sorry for their loss. But if they really loved him, they should have made more of an effort to keep him safe as opposed to playing with deadly animals. Common sense rules, therefore there is not much sympathy from me.

Hopefully his death will help some wake up and see the light that the Bible is not the word of God but the word of man. :yes:

RIP Jamie Coots

Conviction enough to die for is a rare thing and In the end, unlike so many, you practiced what you preached.

If only we all could learn that lesson.

Hopefully his death will help some wake up and see the light that the Bible is not the word of God but the word of man. :yes:

What if it is the word of God, just being used in an inappropriate manner? As a Bible-believing Christian with zero interest in proving venom-infallibility, I see nothing that challenges the Bible as the "word of God". All I see are people who refuse to budge in their interpretation. I don't call it "stupid", but I do acknowledge it's existence.
  • Like 1

RIP Jamie Coots

Conviction enough to die for is a rare thing and In the end, unlike so many, you practiced what you preached.

Believe it or not, while I disagree with the action and interpretation that led to such, I do agree with this. Conviction is a rare thing, and more people boast about it than I think actually believe it. Facing death we do things wet never expect, including people of all faiths, not just Christians.
  • Like 1

Believe it or not, while I disagree with the action and interpretation that led to such, I do agree with this. Conviction is a rare thing, and more people boast about it than I think actually believe it. Facing death we do things wet never expect, including people of all faiths, not just Christians.

It is a shame that some seem so in humanly desensitized to his death just because they disagree with his conviction. I think that speaks more about them. I rather enjoy the diversity of the world, and though I don't agree with many things, I feel rather sad to see some of them go.

I rather not live in a "stepford wives" "brave new world" "equilibrium" style world. I might call it hell.

I think it speaks more about this "word of God "that can be interpreted in so many ways ,all claiming to be the right meaning

fullywired

• Like 1

I think it speaks more about this "word of God "that can be interpreted in so many ways ,all claiming to be the right meaning

fullywired

Everyone claims righteousness, nothing new. Humans are ego centric by nature. The bible, science, etc etc. we all have our pet theories. That's life. It's no reason to be hater because someone's views are an anthema to yours. ( not you specifically). This is in many cases to become what you hate. The attitudes on this very thread speak to intolerance itself.

Edited by White Crane Feather

RIP Jamie Coots

Nothing this man did was admirable. Please don't try to spin it like that. The guy standing in front of the tanks in Tiananmen Square is worthy of admiration. The only thing this guy is worthy of is a Darwin Award.

I used to love Bob Marley when I was younger, and I still think his premature death is sad, but he was an idiot. He had a tumour in his toe, which doctors told him needed to be amputated, and he didn't do it because he was a member of the Rastafari movement and believed that the body should remain whole. A few years later it had metastasised and he was dead. Both Marley and Coots died for nothing and left fatherless children in their wake. I refuse to admire someone who does that.

It is a shame that some seem so in humanly desensitized to his death just because they disagree with his conviction. I think that speaks more about them. I rather enjoy the diversity of the world, and though I don't agree with many things, I feel rather sad to see some of them go.

I rather not live in a "stepford wives" "brave new world" "equilibrium" style world. I might call it hell.

I tend to feel sad for valuable people first. Why should I feel sorry for someone so dedicated to the malfunction of his own reasoning faculties? Why should I feel sorry for someone who valued a sentence fragment of a bible verse more than his biological imperative to protect his children? They're going to face growing up without a father because he was an idiot. I feel sorry for them, not for him.

• Like 7

Everyone claims righteousness, nothing new. Humans are ego centric by nature. The bible, science, etc etc. we all have our pet theories. That's life. It's no reason to be hater because someone's views are an anthema to yours. ( not you specifically). This is in many cases to become what you hate. The attitudes on this very thread speak to intolerance itself.

I absolutely agree. It is right to be intolerant of people who spread ignorance. It is right to be intolerant of terrible parents. It is right to be intolerant of fanatics.

• Like 3

There was another story where someone who was playing with wildlife jumped into a tank with a mammal who's name started with "KILLER" and she didn't farewell either. Any bets on those Gator Boys ??

Edited by Forever Cursed

I love crazy pastors; they're good value.

This is the best thing I think I've ever seen:

[media=]

[/media]

:w00t: That jacket should be standard issue to all riot police. At least when my Pastor flipped he did it properly and jumped from a plane without his chute not like these nut-jobs.

I love crazy pastors; they're good value.

This is the best thing I think I've ever seen:

[media=]

[/media]

Man, that must be some BAD B.O.... !

• Like 1

They didn't say what happen to the poor snake. It is cruel to treat a wild animal that way.

• Like 1

Nothing this man did was admirable. Please don't try to spin it like that. The guy standing in front of the tanks in Tiananmen Square is worthy of admiration. The only thing this guy is worthy of is a Darwin Award.

I used to love Bob Marley when I was younger, and I still think his premature death is sad, but he was an idiot. He had a tumour in his toe, which doctors told him needed to be amputated, and he didn't do it because he was a member of the Rastafari movement and believed that the body should remain whole. A few years later it had metastasised and he was dead. Both Marley and Coots died for nothing and left fatherless children in their wake. I refuse to admire someone who does that.

I tend to feel sad for valuable people first. Why should I feel sorry for someone so dedicated to the malfunction of his own reasoning faculties? Why should I feel sorry for someone who valued a sentence fragment of a bible verse more than his biological imperative to protect his children? They're going to face growing up without a father because he was an idiot. I feel sorry for them, not for him.

For bob marley.. His choice, his body, his life. You can give up the good he gave you because of his choices, that is your choice, your body, your life.

Is that the way his children feel? Is your attitude really about them?... Or is it about you?

It must be since you have been gifted with the ability to tell valuable people from those without value.

I absolutely agree. It is right to be intolerant of people who spread ignorance. It is right to be intolerant of terrible parents. It is right to be intolerant of fanatics.

Are you a fanatic? Are you privey to fundamental reality? Will you teach your children your beliefs?

Do you honestly think that evolution agrees with your view? I can make an argument otherwise.

Yes, I'm upset he killed himself - it is sad how misguided he had become that he would not be capable of recognising the fallacy of his own mindset at the time. A cautionary tale to be taken seriously lest we lose more in a similar fashion.

The convictions we live by... "No clever argument, no persuasive fact or theory could make a dent in his conviction in the rightness of his position," says dictionary.com when it comes to conviction.
  • Like 2

Gods will be done

Or the snake's. Just sayin'. Almagest was spot-on when he called this irresponsible man a fool and worse for leaving his kid's fatherless for the most stupid of reasons. If you believe in God then you believe God made both the snake and the idiot abusing it and the snake did exactly what God designed it to do (or evolution) by injecting venom into its attacker. Men also invented anti-venom and if God directs all things, like controlling a viper's reaction to being mishandled, wouldn't the the invention of anti-venom be directed by this God and therefore the use use of anti-venom be OK?

• Like 1

RIP Jamie Coots

So did the guys who rammed the jetliners at WTC!

• Like 2

So did the guys who rammed the jetliners at WTC!

I did not hear anything about him being murderous? That's quite a leap.