Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

You Better Not Ban My Pit Bull!

Yamato

Here's another rude example of government trying to engineer society for us, now it's choosing for us what we can and cannot love.

So after rummaging through my marriage, bedroom, bathroom, kitchen, emails, phone calls, text messages and finances, now they're telling me what kind of dog I can't have.

Breed Specific Legislation, although I would come up with a different name for it, is discriminatory. It's based on a dog's physical characteristics as opposed to her character or temperament. It's about as sensible as banning a gun for looking scary.

[media=]

[/media] Edited by Yamato
  • Like 2

Let me guess, that's not your pit bull in the video, but 'you have a dog in the fight?'

Pit Bulls are dedicated and loving dogs with the right owners. It's not the fault of the dog if they have irresponsible owners. The fault that I have, is with irresponsible owners.

• Like 5

Being so afraid of powerful breeds for what they merely could do to us, that we're even willing to ban them from our society sounds like the same paranoia as fearing Saddam Hussein's "Weapons of Mass Destruction" for what they could do to us.

Enough fear-based legislation already, government! Sorry you guys, but I fully support the separation of Gene Pool and State; lesser life-forms such as dogs included.

• Like 1

I say let the dogs live.... even if they are ugly muthertruckers.

..... snortn.. peein and pooin all over the place

• Like 2

Oh, for God's sake Yamato, I thought that we were talking about dogs. Not politics. Shame on me.

• Like 2

Yeah;

I have 55kgs of black fanged death who is as soft as a brush, and as loving as any soul could hope to be....

A Piggers dog...a pup who would have got the bullet if I hadnt give him a home...he is 12 yo now and has never hurt anyone,

• Like 3

Yeah;

I have 55kgs of black fanged death who is as soft as a brush, and as loving as any soul could hope to be....

A Piggers dog...a pup who would have got the bullet if I hadnt give him a home...he is 12 yo now and has never hurt anyone,

That said;

I would never have him in an unsecured yard or allow him unguarded access to kids, I mean I love him,.....but I have to accept responsibility for him..

• Like 3

Oh, for God's sake Yamato, I thought that we were talking about dogs. Not politics. Shame on me.

We're talking about banning dogs. When it's laws we're talking about, it is politics. It's government. How are you going to dissect the government from politics exactly? There's no shame on you. It's shame on them. So, what do you think about BSL?

We're talking about banning dogs. When it's laws we're talking about, it is politics. It's government. How are you going to dissect the government from politics exactly? There's no shame on you. It's shame on them. So, what do you think about BSL?

Are we talkin about a civic, state or national ban? Sorry, I don't watch You-tubes.

As far as banning specific breeds, I think that it's BS. Banning some dog owners on the other hand... I dunno.

• Like 2

BSL is an international phenomenon unfortunately.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breed-specific_legislation

Yes, I know that. But I think that owners of some specific breeds should not have those breeds. How that can/should be legislated, I don't know.

Pit Bulls, with the right caring and loving owners can produce loving, protective and affectionate dogs. The wrong owners can produce a protective lethal weapon.

Where the real answer in the middle is, I don't know.

Edit to add;

There are no bad dogs, only bad owners.

Edited by Likely Guy
  • Like 1

Yes, I know that. But I think that owners of some specific breeds should not have those breeds. How that can/should be legislated, I don't know.

That's an example of a BSL.

That's an example of a BSL.

How so?

Maybe owners should take an anger management course before getting any dog? Then you can weed out the bad owner.

Because no dog is bad on it's own recourse.

Edit: What I'm saying it's not the breed of the dog that's the problem, it's the breed of the owner (i.e. caustic angry ahole).

Edited by Likely Guy
  • Like 1

How so?

Maybe owners should take an anger management course before getting any dog? Then you can weed out the bad owner.

Because no dog is bad on it's own recourse.

Edit: What I'm saying it's not the breed of the dog that's the problem, it's the breed of the owner (i.e. caustic angry ahole).

owners of some specific breeds should not have those breeds How that can/should be legislated

That is breed specific legislation.

Punish the deed, not the breed.

You dont even have to be a bad person, to be a bad dog owner. Especialy with Pits or Rotts, ect ect. If you dont have what it take to convince the dog you are the leader, they will be the leader. You might not even know it till something goes wrong.

Agree with Yam here though, punnish the deed.

Pit Bulls, with the right caring and loving owners can produce loving, protective and affectionate dogs. The wrong owners can produce a protective lethal weapon.

Yes and no.

While nuture (upbringing) is critical the traits that have been chosen by the humans controling the breeding (nature) is critical as well. What do you think the drug dealers and fight promoters do with the pitbulls that are friendly and non-aggressive? I'll tell you, they use them as bait dogs...they are torn apart by the ones who have strong fight responses. The positive traits are lost from that breeding pool, and traits that are undesirable are passed on. Do this horrific stuff for long enough and you will produce psychotic dangerous animals. So, breeding and owner education are both important. Just up and 'banning' an entire breed is nonsense and won't lead to a solution.

• Like 3

US Dog Bite-Related Fatalities 2013

•Jan. 8: Betty Chapman Todd, 65 yrs., Greenwood, SC

•Jan. 19: Christian Gormanous, 4 yrs., Montgomery, TX

•Feb. 8: Elsie Grace, 91 yrs., Riverside, CA

•Feb. 16: Isaiah Aguilar, 2 yrs., Uvalde, TX

•Mar. 2: Ryan Maxwell, 7 yrs., Knox, IL

•Mar. 6: Daxton Borchardt, 14 mo., Walworth, WI

•Mar. 17: Monica Laminack, 21 mo., Bryan, GA, criminal charges

•Apr. 2: Tyler Jett, 7 yrs., Bay, FL, criminal charges

•Apr. 11: Claudia Gallardo, 38 yrs., San Joaquin, CA, criminal charges

•Apr. 22: Jordyn Arndt, 4 yrs., Jasper, IA, criminal charges

•Apr. 24: Beau Rutledge, 2 yrs., Fulton, GA

•Apr. 30: Rachael Honabarger, 35 yrs., Coshocton, OH

•May 8: Carlton Freeman, 80 yrs., Dorchester, SC

•May 9: Pamela Marie Devitt, 63 yrs., Los Angeles, CA, criminal charges

•Jun. 9: Ayden Evans, 5 yrs., Garland, AR

•Jun. 17: Nephi Selu, 6 yrs., Alameda, CA

•Jun. 25: Arianna Merrbach, 5 yrs., Florence, SC

•Jul. 1: Linda Oliver, 63 yrs., Liberty, TX

•Sept. 13: Jordan Lee Reed, 5 yrs., Kotzebue, AK

•Sept. 22: Daniel “Doe,” 2 yrs., Maricopa, AZ

•Sept. 23: Samuel Zamudio, 2 yrs., San Bernardino, CA, criminal charges

•Sept. 27: Jordan Ryan, 5 yrs., Baker, OR

•Oct. 30: Nga Woodhead, 65 yrs., Pierce, WA *

•Nov. 1: Terry Douglass, 56 yrs., Baltimore, MD

•Nov 5: Katherine Atkins, 25 yrs., Forsyth, NC

•Nov. 8: Levi Watson, 4 yrs., White, AR

•Nov. 21: Joan Kappen, 75 yrs., Hot Springs, AR

•Dec. 7: Jah'niyah White, 2 yrs., Chicago, IL, ruled a homicide

•Dec. 10: Mia Gibson, 2 mos., Franklin, OH

•Dec. 13: Michal Nelson, 41 yrs., Valencia County, NM

•Dec. 28: Thomas Vick, 64 yrs., Bullhead City, AZ

Source: http://nationalcanin...h.qsn5Il1D.dpuf

Notice the ages of most victims? Banning breeds sure is silly, but something needs to happen. (only saying)

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 1

Here's what needs to be done: Viscious/psychotic dogs need to be put down, there are some things we just can't fix. Breeding standards need to include more than simply appearance, temperment is critical. People need to be educated...people need to be educated (yeah, I said that twice).

• Like 4

Those dogs just happen to be genetically strong and as such, are mainly used as methods of intimidation by degenerates who like to cart them around so they can compensate for insecurities.

It's how a dog is raised and treated that determines how it will act most of the time. Just the other day, some baby was mauled by a husky yet every husky I've ever came across has been a big playful ball of madness with a tendency to jump on my shoulders and lick my ears while barking that weird noise they make. I like those creatures.

• Like 1

I don't agree with banning but there needs to be special registration for specific breeds. Unfortunately, as has been said some breeds are treated by folk as good candidates for dog fighting and aggressive guard dogs. Folk who have that inclination need to be rooted out of the system via some form of firstly registration and followed up with mandatory behavioural training for their pets with registered trainers.

Sadly, those that bypass the correct processes may then find their pets being put down at worst, re-housed if possible, at best.

I had a malamute many years ago. He was properly trained and specifically, you could take anything out of his mouth, even his food without a reaction from him. This type of training is imperative for large or strong jawed breeds and especially where children are known to be exposed to them. My reason for training was two-fold. Firstly, I would hate to have a pet of mine harm someone. Secondly, I would hate to have my pet put down because they inadvertantly, through mistaken defensive behaviours, harmed someone. On both sides of the equation, I am the responsible party - all pet owners need to comprehend that the buck stops with them.

• Like 2

I think dogs are like people, some are psychotic no matter the breed. I've been attacked by a nut case Chihuahua.

• Like 1

I recall a time, many years ago a proposal to ban Doberman Pincers because someone decided to dredge up as many dog attack cases involving pincers as they could, creating a hysteria.

Same thing with Akitas, huskies, German Shepards..you name it. All dogs have the propensity to be vicious but just because a Pit Bull was used in fighting doesn't mean they all were and doesn't mean they are all evil beasts that need to be wiped out.

My neighbor has three pitties and they are very loving, playful dogs, but then again the neighbor is nice too so I think the behavior of our pets often reflects our own to varying degrees.

However, regardless of how nice a dog is, it is not a good idea to let one alone in a room for an extended time with a child. It's not that the dog intends harm but they often do not realize and understand that their version of a "nip" can be dangerous. (they haven't figured out yet that we don't have fur.)

I hate wiener dogs. The only breed to bite me.

Didn't we have a pit-bull thread that was like 80 pages long?

• Like 1