Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Heaven and Back?: Man dead for 45 minutes

Still Waters

Brian Miller was declared dead after suffering a massive heart attack at a Ohio hospital.

Then to the surprise of nurses and doctors, after 45 minutes, his heart randomly started beating again.

Miller, 41, told WJW-TV that while he was out, he saw a light and relatives who had passed away.

http://kdvr.com/2014...eing-afterlife/

• Like 8

It wasn't his time yet, so they kicked him out of heaven.

I've heard many stories about experiences like this. Didn't use to believe them, thought their mind might be playing tricks on them but after seeing a ghost I've changed my mind.

• Like 3

I don't find personal anecdotes the slightest bit convincing. Just as there are people who you can speak with who will claim alien abduction, bigfoot encounters, and demonic possession. The fact that many people have had these sorts of encounters does nothing to prove the validity of the claims.

• Like 3

41 years old and has a heart attack. Look at the mans picture everyone. 41 is young to be dying of a heart attack, if you are young and overwieght take this story as a warning. Obesity kills.

• Like 8

From what I understand from the video is that his heart never actually stopped, but was off, and weak.

Or am I missing something here?

I don't find personal anecdotes the slightest bit convincing. Just as there are people who you can speak with who will claim alien abduction, bigfoot encounters, and demonic possession. The fact that many people have had these sorts of encounters does nothing to prove the validity of the claims.

Anecdotes are all there are and of course as such may be dismissed. But the stories have been startlingly similar and date back to the time of Plato at least. Raymond Moody's book Life after Life cites many of these. For such similarities to exist over such a long period of time should begin to raise one's curiosity, no?
  • Like 2

Seeing light seems to be common with people who have had "near death" experience, but your brain uses electrical impulses in order to work,could they be seeing the last electrical flash before darkness descends permanently.A few years ago experiments were carried out on patients near death,at which point their bodies lost 21 grammes weight when death occurred,this is still an unexplained mystery.

Edited by spud the mackem
  • Like 3

Anecdotes are all there are and of course as such may be dismissed. But the stories have been startlingly similar and date back to the time of Plato at least. Raymond Moody's book Life after Life cites many of these. For such similarities to exist over such a long period of time should begin to raise one's curiosity, no?

There have also been startlingly similar stories of possession for many many years. I don't take this as enough to believe in such things. By all means, have your curiosity peaked, investigate, though I'm not sure in what way you would be able to do so. However, don't allow yourself to be credulous enough to believe these things simply because a number of people have said the same thing.

• Like 1

From what I understand from the video is that his heart never actually stopped, but was off, and weak.

It was confusing. I had only read the text and once viewing the video it seems he was never really completely dead. He had no pulse or respiration but that was being provided by CPR. It's still a story that is very similar to those that have been told for over a thousand years.
  • Like 1

There have also been startlingly similar stories of possession for many many years. I don't take this as enough to believe in such things. By all means, have your curiosity peaked, investigate, though I'm not sure in what way you would be able to do so. However, don't allow yourself to be credulous enough to believe these things simply because a number of people have said the same thing.

And the harm in taking hope from such an event is...what, exactly? That an educated person would be chagrined? Life is short and pain is long - anything that lifts the burden and brings a little gladness or sense of peace is welcome as far as I'm concerned - but to each his own.
  • Like 3

And the harm in taking hope from such an event is...what, exactly? That an educated person would be chagrined? Life is short and pain is long - anything that lifts the burden and brings a little gladness or sense of peace is welcome as far as I'm concerned - but to each his own.

No harm directly from it, though I personally care to believe as many true things as possible, and as few untrue things. Ideally, I would like the majority of the world to want the same thing. Now that being said, I would hold no ill will towards someone who believed in these things, as long as they didn't try to force them onto others, or interfere with progress because of these beliefs.

many religion haters say that man created religion. I believe that these experiences created the belief in the afterlife and vis a vis, religion. which can only be expected. it is the only thing that really makes sense. religion is too abstract an idea for it crop up all by itself as a means on control, there are plenty of other ways to "control"a population that is far easier.....like violence and power.

• Like 4

His mother in law kicks him out ot heaven, go figure. I know mine would kick me out and I would be glad to leave.

many religion haters say that man created religion. I believe that these experiences created the belief in the afterlife and vis a vis, religion. which can only be expected. it is the only thing that really makes sense. religion is too abstract an idea for it crop up all by itself as a means on control, there are plenty of other ways to "control"a population that is far easier.....like violence and power.

I've never said it cropped up as a means of control, I believe it "cropped up" as you say, as a means to explain things that these primitive societies did not understand.

• Like 2

I love these kinds of stories because they reassure me that God is very active in everyone's lives wether we are aware of it or not. I have to admit, and I'm not proud of it, but I am sometimes jealous that people get to meet God and/or Jesus and they're completely changed from their experiences. I've wished and I've wished and prayed to meet them, but I guess it's not to be at this time. I'm grateful for my own experiences that I feel are related to God, but as selfish as it sounds...I want more. I want to meet God so much. God Bless this man as I'm sure he has and God Bless you all.

• Like 5

Actually I think the animosity comes from a deep desire to have NO controls of any kind on the free will, regardless of consequences to others. That said, there has no doubt been very much blood shed in the name of religions. But those who use that as an excuse to push back from the Creator harm only themselves ultimately - just my 2c :)
  • Like 2

I've seen documentaries where people claim that after death, hideous creatures came and tormented them.

But when they called for Jesus to save them, the creatures backed off and next thing they knew they awoke in the hospital.

• Like 2

I love these kinds of stories because they reassure me that God is very active in everyone's lives wether we are aware of it or not. I have to admit, and I'm not proud of it, but I am sometimes jealous that people get to meet God and/or Jesus and they're completely changed from their experiences. I've wished and I've wished and prayed to meet them, but I guess it's not to be at this time. I'm grateful for my own experiences that I feel are related to God, but as selfish as it sounds...I want more. I want to meet God so much. God Bless this man as I'm sure he has and God Bless you all.

So are you willing to sacrifice all the lives on the planet just to meet him?

I've seen documentaries where people claim that after death, hideous creatures came and tormented them.

But when they called for Jesus to save them, the creatures backed off and next thing they knew they awoke in the hospital.

You would think it was jesus who sent the demons.

I wonder if there are any Atheists who ever had a near death experience.

• Like 1

So are you willing to sacrifice all the lives on the planet just to meet him?

MC I realize your thoughts on this are set in stone but you don't usually fabricate stuff. Where did this person say anything like that? And the rhetoric you put out is not something that the bible says at all. In fact the world never ends and there definitely will be a remnant. But my guess is that you are so adamant about losing your right to self will that YOU would gladly sacrifice everything and everyone to maintain it. That sounds harsh but it's the attitude you seem to project. IF you actually believe the Creator exists then the idea that you (or any human) can be greater or understand the deeper aspects of life than said Creator is a level of intellectual arrogance that borders on childishness. And if you don't really believe he exists then what, exactly is the point of your hatred? Does it occur to you that if the Creator doesn't exist then all we have to blame for the evil on this rock is...just US? And we have proven ourselves VERY capable of every form of destruction, torture, bloodletting... no god required. Yet if the Creator CAN set things right finally and leave some life here to start over the right way why would you protest so much on that? If we are left to our own devices we will certainly end ourselves - the bible clearly says so. You seem really angry, man.
  • Like 3

MC I realize your thoughts on this are set in stone but you don't usually fabricate stuff. Where did this person say anything like that? And the rhetoric you put out is not something that the bible says at all. In fact the world never ends and there definitely will be a remnant. But my guess is that you are so adamant about losing your right to self will that YOU would gladly sacrifice everything and everyone to maintain it. That sounds harsh but it's the attitude you seem to project. IF you actually believe the Creator exists then the idea that you (or any human) can be greater or understand the deeper aspects of life than said Creator is a level of intellectual arrogance that borders on childishness. And if you don't really believe he exists then what, exactly is the point of your hatred? Does it occur to you that if the Creator doesn't exist then all we have to blame for the evil on this rock is...just US? And we have proven ourselves VERY capable of every form of destruction, torture, bloodletting... no god required. Yet if the Creator CAN set things right finally and leave some life here to start over the right way why would you protest so much on that? If we are left to our own devices we will certainly end ourselves - the bible clearly says so. You seem really angry, man.

There is trillions of life forms on this planet, do you honestly think they all want to die so you guys can be with your messiah? You already know I don't believe anything in bible, so, for once, look at things through our perspective. When it comes to me throwing down my life and the things I love for your beliefs, you will be met with steadfast resistance. This is something that can't be chanced.

• Like 1