Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Heaven and Back?: Man dead for 45 minutes

Still Waters

These experiences are very culture based.If one was told that a Clown on an Unicycle greets you upon death, then even if they did not believe it they will report this Clown.

• Like 2

There is trillions of life forms on this planet, do you honestly think they all want to die so you guys can be with your messiah? You already know I don't believe anything in bible, so, for once, look at things through our perspective. When it comes to me throwing down my life and the things I love for your beliefs, you will be met with steadfast resistance. This is something that can't be chanced.

Who has asked you to do so? Really, who? When I speak of my beliefs I am clear that this is what they are - and that I understand that others do not hold them. No coercion. Anyone who would try and force a belief on you is going DIRECTLY AGAINST the message of the gospel. I think what causes fear and anger with many these days is that they see clear evidence of catastrophic changes coming from all over the planet and they realize there is nothing they can do about it but they want to lash out at those who speak of it as being foreseen. If you took the time to read the text and the commentary you'd see a pretty clear picture of what's just ahead. And religionists aren't causing any of it man. It's just the same old vanilla kind of greed, lust and angry pride that's been around as long as we've been walking on two feet. I expect a day not far off where if I stood in a public place and proclaimed Jesus as savior of the world I'd not just be ridiculed but even beaten. People are ANGRY. They're scared and they want to exert control they just don't have. I feel badly for them but I think I understand the anger. We all have to make our own choices. I'm comfortable with mine.
  • Like 2

It was confusing. I had only read the text and once viewing the video it seems he was never really completely dead. He had no pulse or respiration but that was being provided by CPR. It's still a story that is very similar to those that have been told for over a thousand years.

There is more evidence that it's neurological than spiritual.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jQbYrbEsVE

• Like 1

Who has asked you to do so? Really, who? When I speak of my beliefs I am clear that this is what they are - and that I understand that others do not hold them. No coercion. Anyone who would try and force a belief on you is going DIRECTLY AGAINST the message of the gospel. I think what causes fear and anger with many these days is that they see clear evidence of catastrophic changes coming from all over the planet and they realize there is nothing they can do about it but they want to lash out at those who speak of it as being foreseen. If you took the time to read the text and the commentary you'd see a pretty clear picture of what's just ahead. And religionists aren't causing any of it man. It's just the same old vanilla kind of greed, lust and angry pride that's been around as long as we've been walking on two feet. I expect a day not far off where if I stood in a public place and proclaimed Jesus as savior of the world I'd not just be ridiculed but even beaten. People are ANGRY. They're scared and they want to exert control they just don't have. I feel badly for them but I think I understand the anger. We all have to make our own choices. I'm comfortable with mine.

I don't care if you're christian, muslim, jew, mormon, conservative, liberal, democratic, republican, independent or purple polka dot leprechauns, anyone who hopes for the end is not right in the head, there has been many marshall applewhites, david koresh's and jim jones (I can't think of any non-christian one's off the top of my head), to warrant significant concern that there will be plenty more in the future, and one will be charismatic enough to set the end into motion. This absolutely cannot be chanced. It does suck that we are on the brink of extinction. Anyone I.M.O. who even hopes for it is not thinking clearly. Their beliefs have completely clouded their judgment (and morality).

• Like 2

Even Heaven didn't want him.

I don’t need these experiences to convince me, there is a Light and an incredible feeling of Peace and it can be experienced. The best way is to practice a good meditation, not just relaxation techniques. I saw this Inner Light first time under the direct influence of the 3rd Mahatma that taught me, in my initiation, some 40yrs ago. It is wonderful, the Peace is indescribable. You can as an individual experience it for yourself, though it will take patience and practice and a good teacher is always a great benefit. Here’s a video about this topic I rather like. Don’t wait for death you can experience while you are alive. I like (12.09).where he says that these people tell us they can’t explain the experience in words and then we say, ‘okay so tell us about it!’ Don’t believe anything, experience it for yourself through meditation.

‘Consciousness without brain activity’

‘What if this reality is a dream and when we die we wake up!’

• Like 2

Of course there is a Light. But dead is dead...if one remains alive, then one is not dead. If one is dead, the life does not return...ever. Dead...is...Dead. Anything else...is not.

• Like 3

These experiences are very culture based.If one was told that a Clown on an Unicycle greets you upon death, then even if they did not believe it they will report this Clown.

So when you had your NDE you found yourself in a Big Top? :yes:

• Like 3

many religion haters say that man created religion. I believe that these experiences created the belief in the afterlife and vis a vis, religion. which can only be expected. it is the only thing that really makes sense. religion is too abstract an idea for it crop up all by itself as a means on control, there are plenty of other ways to "control"a population that is far easier.....like violence and power.

I suspect you are confusing religion with belief/faith in divinity.

Religion is the politicisation of that belief and is all about control.

As for the article in the OP, it is simply one of many such experiences related anecdotally with no corroborating evidence. As has been mentioned, the person was never 'dead' and so there can be no claim of "seeing an afterlife".

The commonality of such experiences is also no indication of an afterlife - just an indication that we are all 'wired' very similarly and share the same basic psychology.

I suspect you are confusing religion with belief/faith in divinity.

Religion is the politicisation of that belief and is all about control.

As for the article in the OP, it is simply one of many such experiences related anecdotally with no corroborating evidence. As has been mentioned, the person was never 'dead' and so there can be no claim of "seeing an afterlife".

The commonality of such experiences is also no indication of an afterlife - just an indication that we are all 'wired' very similarly and share the same basic psychology.

Wired the same I agree with but if a man from Plato's time were plopped into the modern world do you really think the "psychology" would be so similar? The biggest contention of skeptics is that these stories are fabricated outright. After that, that they are biologically induced. I have no idea. But the similarities being dismissed so easily bothers me. Such continuity over such a very long period of time has a specific meaning imo. In any other investigation by science such similarities would be researched thoroughly. Because this particular topic involves a belief in God, however, it is simply dismissed because many do not WANT to know for sure. After all, if you know it's true then you might have to begin to live your life in a different way than you have been choosing. THAT is unacceptable for most people.
  • Like 3

Wired the same I agree with but if a man from Plato's time were plopped into the modern world do you really think the "psychology" would be so similar?

Yes, our basic psychology is similar and antiquity has no bearing on that. All of us share basic desires and fears - love, death, 'purpose', etc. This is true of anyone, anywhere, any time.

Because this particular topic involves a belief in God, however, it is simply dismissed because many do not WANT to know for sure. After all, if you know it's true then you might have to begin to live your life in a different way than you have been choosing. THAT is unacceptable for most people.

That very much depends on what deity would be "true". Would you be afraid to find out the Abrahamic 'god' was a myth and it was the Greeks, or the Egyptians, who were 'right'?

Personally, I find the thought of that Abrahamic deity more disturbing - as it would imply our only 'purpose' is to die and worship it. Where is the life-meaning in that?

Edited by Leonardo
  • Like 5

His mother in law kicks him out ot heaven, go figure. I know mine would kick me out and I would be glad to leave.

L.O.L. Mother-in-laws Never get to heaven so you're safe if you get there.
  • Like 2

I drowned a few years back and had to be resuscitated. I remember the actual drowning was scary, but then my body felt warm and nice. It doesn't hurt at all. Everything around me was black except for a blond man, which is my angel.

• Like 2

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimethyltryptamine

I've read a lot about the topic of NDE's over the years, and believe that DMT is responsible for the "afterlife" one may find themselves in after what is perceived to be death.

I hope this doesn't get deleted by mods, and ask that the post stays here to add to the discussion of the topic.

For those who have taken any psychedelic substance at a high dose, it is plainly obvious that there is more to consciousness than what takes place inside of the body itself. I've personally had OBE's on high psychedelic doses, and for those others who have, I'll bet thousands can vouch for the same as well. I guess my point here is that you can seemingly exist in other realms outside of your body, without any awareness of its existence at the time, whether it's from meditation, an NDE, or a psychedlic compound. There is much more to this world than we currently understand.

Also meant to add that studies have recently taken place that suggest, in theory of course, that DMT is in your bloodstream at all hours of the day. Basically suggesting that your waking reality is nothing more than a "hallucination" in itself.

Edited by andy4
  • Like 4

41 years old and has a heart attack. Look at the mans picture everyone. 41 is young to be dying of a heart attack, if you are young and overwieght take this story as a warning. Obesity kills.

i just had a heart attack last november, which resulted in my having a quintuple by pass surgery in december, i am 53, was active and at my ideal wieght. i took care of myself and ate right. so what the hell, eh?

p.s.

i didn't even get to have a NDE...

Edited by JGirl
  • Like 3

If I was asked by, whoever, if I wanted to stay or come back, I'd come back, because I haven't seen Avengers 2 yet.

• Like 3

Love love LOVE this topic! To some it's easily dismissed as disrupted brain activity, but dig a little deeper and you'll find there's something to this phenomenon. The most spooky evidence is the out-of-body experiences recounted in great detail floating above the room. It's prompted ORs all over the world to place objects on top of cabinets above eye level that can only be viewed from above.

I don't personally put much stock in the idea of an afterlife but something pretty amazing is happening to these people.

A small contribution: http://www.victorzammit.com/evidence/nde.htm

• Like 3

http://en.m.wikipedi...ethyltryptamine

I've read a lot about the topic of NDE's over the years, and believe that DMT is responsible for the "afterlife" one may find themselves in after what is perceived to be death.

I hope this doesn't get deleted by mods, and ask that the post stays here to add to the discussion of the topic.

For those who have taken any psychedelic substance at a high dose, it is plainly obvious that there is more to consciousness than what takes place inside of the body itself. I've personally had OBE's on high psychedelic doses, and for those others who have, I'll bet thousands can vouch for the same as well. I guess my point here is that you can seemingly exist in other realms outside of your body, without any awareness of its existence at the time, whether it's from meditation, an NDE, or a psychedlic compound. There is much more to this world than we currently understand.

Also meant to add that studies have recently taken place that suggest, in theory of course, that DMT is in your bloodstream at all hours of the day. Basically suggesting that your waking reality is nothing more than a "hallucination" in itself.

Or...a more logical explanation is that you are on hallucinogenic drugs, and they are making you hallucinate. And I don't argue this from a place of ignorance. I have had "experiences", however I view it as chemicals interacting with my brain the way they were intended to. The fact that at the time it may seem like something else, is because the chemicals are doing what they do.

• Like 1

In one study carried out in 1985, the experiences of 16 Asian Indians had been compared with those of Americans and it had been found that the Indians had often encountered Yamraj, the Hindu king of the dead, while the Americans had not.

The largest cross-cultural study had been carried out in 1977 by Osis and Haraldsson and had focused more on deathbed visions. These are the experiences that people have before death, usually in the 24 hours prior to death, and they are different from the classic NDE phenomenon. Deathbed visions are usually reported by carers who have looked after a person during the dying process. In this study the researchers had examined the visions of approximately 440 terminally ill American and Indian patients as described to their doctors and nurses. The most common feature, which occurred in 91 per cent of cases, was seeing deceased relatives. In 140 cases there were reports of seeing religious figures, usually described as an angel or God. Where these were specifically identified, they were always described according to the person’s religious beliefs: no Hindu reported seeing Jesus, and no Christian a Hindu deity.

http://www.horizonresearch.org/main_page.php?cat_id=66

• Like 1

you can't use logical explanations to explain the unexplained !o_O because that would never make sense ! if there is an afterlife than everything make sense ! :D so just believe and a new world will open up :D

• Like 1

I don’t need these experiences to convince me, there is a Light and an incredible feeling of Peace and it can be experienced. The best way is to practice a good meditation, not just relaxation techniques.

Yeah...I seen, and felt it too.Except with me I did the research, and found out it was my own Brain's production of Dopamine.

The second important effect of dopamine is as a "teaching" signal. When a motor response is followed by an increase in dopamine activity, the basal ganglia circuit is altered in a way that makes the same response easier to evoke when similar situations arise in the future. This is a form of operant conditioning, in which dopamine plays the role of a reward signal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dopamine

Excessive amounts of dopamine in the brain produce psychotic symptoms, such as hallucinations or delusions. The mental illness schizophrenia is marked by hallucinations and delusional thoughts. According to the article "The Dopamine Hypothesis of Schizophrenia," on Bryn Mawr College's website, drugs prescribed to treat schizophrenia decrease the levels of dopamine in the brain. Therefore, many researchers believe that excessive dopamine causes the hallucinations and delusions exhibited by schizophrenic people. Chronic users of cocaine and amphetamines also display psychotic symptoms. Cocaine and amphetamines increase the levels of dopamine in the brain.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/250594-effects-of-excessive-dopamine/

Edited by davros of skaro
  • Like 1

00007130-5d4c8_zps9bf3fa07.jpg

Gary Larson

• Like 5

you can't use logical explanations to explain the unexplained !o_O because that would never make sense ! if there is an afterlife than everything make sense ! :D so just believe and a new world will open up :D

I sincerely hope that this was sarcastic.

• Like 3