Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Treasure found, legendary Norse treasure?

seeder

Has a man with a metal detector really stumbled upon the legendary Norse treasure worth more than £800,000? Experts believe long-lost trove of gold and silver may be the real deal

Haul was found near Ruelzheim in the southern part Rhineland Palatinate

Prosecutors begin inquiry into the man who found it

They believe he may have sold some items before owning up to the find

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2565368/Has-man-metal-detector-really-stumbled-legendary-Norse-treasure-worth-1MILLION-euros-Experts-believe-long-lost-trove-gold-silver-real-deal.html#ixzz2uA6QUto3

isnt odd that the man turned up with zorse treasure on the day of the viking apocalypse

perhaps this was the apocalypse, that everyone was raving about

Edited by SkeptcByMindBelievrByHeart

Ive seen these finds, or types of finds before, some guy with a metal detector.. finds shedload of gold/treasure! . Ive promised myself so long to get one. This is further encouragement!

Has a man with a metal detector really stumbled upon the legendary Norse treasure worth more than £800,000? Experts believe long-lost trove of gold and silver may be the real deal

Haul was found near Ruelzheim in the southern part Rhineland Palatinate

Prosecutors begin inquiry into the man who found it

They believe he may have sold some items before owning up to the find

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2565368/Has-man-metal-detector-really-stumbled-legendary-Norse-treasure-worth-1MILLION-euros-Experts-believe-long-lost-trove-gold-silver-real-deal.html#ixzz2uA6QUto3

Can't blame him for selling some before it is made public. Court battles over ownership can drag on for decades.

I'm not sure I would have "sold" some, but I certainly would have taken some and put it in a safe place. Whether to be sold "as is" later or melted down and sold later, you have to be sure you come away with something.

• Like 2

Can't blame him for selling some before it is made public. Court battles over ownership can drag on for decades.

I'm not sure I would have "sold" some, but I certainly would have taken some and put it in a safe place. Whether to be sold "as is" later or melted down and sold later, you have to be sure you come away with something.

in Germany you are getting 10% by law, regardless of who may have a claim to it.

• Like 2

in Germany you are getting 10% by law, regardless of who may have a claim to it.

I guess it's good to have a concrete set amount. But that seems rather low.

• Like 3

Heres how it works in the UK

Treasure found on land

Treasure found on land is governed by The Treasure Act which came into force in September 1997.

If you find treasure you are legally obliged to report it to your local police station within 14 days. The police will pass it on to the coroner who will decide whether it is defined as treasure.

There is a reward system in place to encourage you to report your findings, provided you were not trespassing when you found the treasure!

If a museum wants to acquire your treasure, you will probably be given the market value price. If no museum wants it, you may be entitled to keep it.

How is treasure defined?

The definition of treasure falls into four categories: coins that are older that 300 years old; other objects that contain at least 10% gold or silver and are at least 300 years old; associated objects that are found in the same place as treasure; and other objects containing substantial amounts of gold and silver whose owners cannot be traced.

Who is eligible for rewards?

If a museum wants to acquire the treasure, an independent valuation committee will value the treasure, to determine the reward paid to the finder.

Where the finder has permission to be on the land, rewards are paid in full.

If the finder makes an agreement with the occupier or landowner to share a reward, the government will be prepared to follow the terms of the agreement.

A finder who has been trespassing may expect a reduced award or none at all. Landowners and occupiers will be eligible for rewards when this happens.

Archaeologists will not normally be eligible for rewards.

eta source

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/24947.stm

Edited by seeder
  • Like 2

Ive seen these finds, or types of finds before, some guy with a metal detector.. finds shedload of gold/treasure! . Ive promised myself so long to get one. This is further encouragement!

i have a metal detector sitting in the shed that i haven't played with for a couple of years. i should get that puppy out and find me some treasure!
  • Like 2

i have a metal detector sitting in the shed that i haven't played with for a couple of years. i should get that puppy out and find me some treasure!

Its motivating isnt it? Yeh go for walkies some-place in the sticks and see what you can find with it! You only need to find treasure once to be able to retire!! Well enough of it anyway!

• Like 1

I guess it's good to have a concrete set amount. But that seems rather low.

I think we'd all be tempted to keep it and not tell anyone. But having said that, some finds do shine a light on important archeology..

• Like 1

Heres how it works in the UK

Treasure found on land

Treasure found on land is governed by The Treasure Act which came into force in September 1997.

If you find treasure you are legally obliged to report it to your local police station within 14 days. The police will pass it on to the coroner who will decide whether it is defined as treasure.

There is a reward system in place to encourage you to report your findings, provided you were not trespassing when you found the treasure!

If a museum wants to acquire your treasure, you will probably be given the market value price. If no museum wants it, you may be entitled to keep it.

How is treasure defined?

The definition of treasure falls into four categories: coins that are older that 300 years old; other objects that contain at least 10% gold or silver and are at least 300 years old; associated objects that are found in the same place as treasure; and other objects containing substantial amounts of gold and silver whose owners cannot be traced.

Who is eligible for rewards?

If a museum wants to acquire the treasure, an independent valuation committee will value the treasure, to determine the reward paid to the finder.

Where the finder has permission to be on the land, rewards are paid in full.

If the finder makes an agreement with the occupier or landowner to share a reward, the government will be prepared to follow the terms of the agreement.

A finder who has been trespassing may expect a reduced award or none at all. Landowners and occupiers will be eligible for rewards when this happens.

Archaeologists will not normally be eligible for rewards.

eta source

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/24947.stm

Seems a little scary to me. Sounds like there is certainly the possibility of corrupt individuals skewing the findings.

But something must be in place, right. It can't be allowed to be just a free for all.

That being said, I wouldn't abide by the letter of the law. I would certainly stash a certain amount away for myself before reporting it. Gotta take precautions. An example would be:

If I found three hundred gold coins that were 400 years old. I would report that I had found 200 or 250. Not sure what I'd do with the other 50-100, but I'd like to have the option.

Its motivating isnt it? Yeh go for walkies some-place in the sticks and see what you can find with it! You only need to find treasure once to be able to retire!! Well enough of it anyway!

i've never found anything worth bragging about with mine. however i haven't gone down the beach which i keep saying i will do

it's difficult to use a detector around here because you aren't allowed to dig anywhere. the beach is fine because it's just sand, but if you take it to a park or somewhere similar you will get kicked out. at least where i live anyway

i've never found anything worth bragging about with mine. however i haven't gone down the beach which i keep saying i will do

it's difficult to use a detector around here because you aren't allowed to dig anywhere. the beach is fine because it's just sand, but if you take it to a park or somewhere similar you will get kicked out. at least where i live anyway

The only valuable thing I found was a diamond ring. The downside was that it was a reletive who lost it in my yard and I pulled out my metal detector to help her find it.

I keep telling myself I'm going to use it more. You really have to be dedicated. It'll pick up a nail 6 inches down. You have to be willing to get dirty and did lots of holes for nothing. I think about 99/100 digs are worthless. Maybe more.

If its a popular beach you just may find your beer money!

• Like 1

Hope he reports that. Ha ha.

• Like 1

[media=]

[/media]

the beach i have in mind is along the north thompson river in kamloops. it's right down the road from my place

this beach disappears in spring with the run off from the mountains, but by mid summer the river has shrunk away from the shore quite a lot

it would be cool to find a big old chunk of gold.

or beer money is good too

• Like 1

the beach i have in mind is along the north thompson river in kamloops. it's right down the road from my place

this beach disappears in spring with the run off from the mountains, but by mid summer the river has shrunk away from the shore quite a lot

it would be cool to find a big old chunk of gold.

or beer money is good too

That sounds like a good spot to detect in. Just be willing to make a hobby of it. There are many websites where people post their findings. Nearly all of them are junk to most people. An old square nail, a corroded 1980 penny, a pair of glasses frames from 60 years ago. But if you make it a hobby, even those items can bring joy. I'm not there yet.

• Like 1

That sounds like a good spot to detect in. Just be willing to make a hobby of it. There are many websites where people post their findings. Nearly all of them are junk to most people. An old square nail, a corroded 1980 penny, a pair of glasses frames from 60 years ago. But if you make it a hobby, even those items can bring joy. I'm not there yet.

oh i totally agree about the trinkets - i showed off an old earring i found in my yard that was not really valuable but it was old and cool and i found it and bragged about it lol

i would like to get a more sophisticated unit than i have tho - mine is more of a beginner's model. not that i'm really advanced - quite the opposite! it's because i'm bad at detecting. i want one that shows me the shape of the object and practically tells me what it is before i dig for it!

• Like 1

oh i totally agree about the trinkets - i showed off an old earring i found in my yard that was not really valuable but it was old and cool and i found it and bragged about it lol

i would like to get a more sophisticated unit than i have tho - mine is more of a beginner's model. not that i'm really advanced - quite the opposite! it's because i'm bad at detecting. i want one that shows me the shape of the object and practically tells me what it is before i dig for it!

I'm on the same page. Mine is OK. Nothing great, but not the cheapest either. I think I paid $150 a couple years ago. I told myself that if I got into it and made it a hobby of mine, then I'd ivest in a more top of the line model. I've let myself down so far. I did recently find out a friend of mine has a similar unit. We are going to try to get together several times this spring and detect together. I hope I follow through.

• Like 1

I'm on the same page. Mine is OK. Nothing great, but not the cheapest either. I think I paid $150 a couple years ago. I told myself that if I got into it and made it a hobby of mine, then I'd ivest in a more top of the line model. I've let myself down so far. I did recently find out a friend of mine has a similar unit. We are going to try to get together several times this spring and detect together. I hope I follow through.

that's a big part of it for me. i don't know anyone else who has one or wants to go out and search with me. it's kind of boring by myself, which is probably why i don't get into it more.

it would be cool to find a club or group and go out to learn the ins and outs. mostly the groups around here are experienced and have no patience for me and my cheap little detector lol

that's a big part of it for me. i don't know anyone else who has one or wants to go out and search with me. it's kind of boring by myself, which is probably why i don't get into it more.

it would be cool to find a club or group and go out to learn the ins and outs. mostly the groups around here are experienced and have no patience for me and my cheap little detector lol

Maybe we can help each other out. As soon as one of us goes out this spring, we should start a thread about it in one of the sections. We can post what we find and how t goes. I'm the same as you in that I need others to entice me into being active in my usage. Maybe we can excite each other. :whistle:

Where are you at in British Columbia? North or south? I think BC is about 8-9 times the size of Indiana where I am at.

• Like 1

Maybe we can help each other out. As soon as one of us goes out this spring, we should start a thread about it in one of the sections. We can post what we find and how t goes. I'm the same as you in that I need others to entice me into being active in my usage. Maybe we can excite each other. :whistle:

Where are you at in British Columbia? North or south? I think BC is about 8-9 times the size of Indiana where I am at.

i'm in the interior of BC about four hours from vancouver

i can't promise i will get out this spring so i don't want to commit to a thread lol

but if i do go out i will post in the off topic section and you do the same. i'd be interested to see what you find!

• Like 1

Yarrr. It just makes me glad to see a rigorous description of "treasure."

--Jaylemurph

How is it described in your country?