Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

swimming in lochness?

hypo666

be honest  

79 members have voted

1. 1. would you be a tad nervous to do a midnight swim in loch ness?

• yes?
    • no ?

Who is for a midnight swim in the loch? I mean Iam not sure if I believe it or not, Iam a skeptic on just about everything including science now actually, because in my line of work, I have since found out not is all it seems from a so called scientific study ,when I found some things out about the backgrounds of the scientists of many years experience with what I believe were excellent reputations who made the conclusions,money may even have changed hands essentially meaning I couldn't be 100 percent about the results which had some implications for my job.

The conclusion I have to come to ,from this and other experiences, is that sometimes things are not as they seem,it is wise to be skeptical about everything ,especially what beliefs you yourself have , and human beings are quite arrogant if they believe something is 'fact' about the natural world,nature is all powerful and we would be wise to be wary of it . Seems to me with far too many people,the belief in 'science' reminds me of how some bible thumpers go on.

But really, I would like to ask the most skeptic of skeptics or just anyone really, be honest, would you not feel a tad scared or uneasy to swim in the loch at midnight? all that darkness around you and below, wondering perhaps what brushed against your leg perhaps just then? despite all the scientific evidence which poo poo's the idea of a 'monster' , or an unexplained fish, reptile, perhaps even a phantom in the loch, ?despite all the debunked photos from fakers and other opportunists.

• Like 1

It is a murky Loch, but being attacked by a Nessie creature I can say would not be a fear of mine.

Do many swim in it? Is it cold all year?

Edited by QuiteContrary
  • Like 1

I agree with the previous post. But for me it's enough for the lake to be deep, even in daylight, if my imagination gets wild, then I'm sure as hell gonna swim in world record time back to shore :D

• Like 5

People do swim in the Loch but it's very cold. The last time I was there a coach full of tourists pulled up and a lot of young people got out, stripped off and ran into the water. You could see by their reactions how cold it was.

Loch Ness is also used for charity swimming events like this one -

http://www.monsterswim.co.uk/

http://www.bbc.co.uk...slands-18988903

On a hot enough day I might go for a paddle but not a swim. I don't think a midnight swim is a good idea, apart from the cold water the Loch is isolated in parts, it wouldn't be safe to go swimming so late in it.

post-73704-0-21049300-1393193076_thumb.j

• Like 2

Millions of people swim in the Ocean, even at night, and they KNOW sharks are in there......... :blush:

• Like 2

I can't say I would be comfortable swimming in any dark water, particularly at night, but most of all in a glacier lake.

• Like 1

Who is for a midnight swim in the loch? I mean Iam not sure if I believe it or not, Iam a skeptic on just about everything including science now actually, because in my line of work, I have since found out not is all it seems from a so called scientific study ,when I found some things out about the backgrounds of the scientists of many years experience with what I believe were excellent reputations who made the conclusions,money may even have changed hands essentially meaning I couldn't be 100 percent about the results which had some implications for my job.

The conclusion I have to come to ,from this and other experiences, is that sometimes things are not as they seem,it is wise to be skeptical about everything ,especially what beliefs you yourself have , and human beings are quite arrogant if they believe something is 'fact' about the natural world,nature is all powerful and we would be wise to be wary of it . Seems to me with far too many people,the belief in 'science' reminds me of how some bible thumpers go on.

But really, I would like to ask the most skeptic of skeptics or just anyone really, be honest, would you not feel a tad scared or uneasy to swim in the loch at midnight? all that darkness around you and below, wondering perhaps what brushed against your leg perhaps just then? despite all the scientific evidence which poo poo's the idea of a 'monster' , or an unexplained fish, reptile, perhaps even a phantom in the loch, ?despite all the debunked photos from fakers and other opportunists.

bolding in quote, mine

I thought you were specifically asking/polling about a fear of a "Nessie" creature? Not just deep water or night swim or remote swim?

Edited by QuiteContrary

People do swim in the Loch but it's very cold. The last time I was there a coach full of tourists pulled up and a lot of young people got out, stripped off and ran into the water. You could see by their reactions how cold it was.

Loch Ness is also used for charity swimming events like this one -

http://www.monsterswim.co.uk/

http://www.bbc.co.uk...slands-18988903

On a hot enough day I might go for a paddle

post-73704-0-21049300-1393193076_thumb.j

It looks like a beautiful place for a paddle! From what I've seen on TV.

• Like 1

Give me a wet suit, I'd go in.

But I'm used to swimming in giant bodies of water. Lake Ontario is pretty intimidating some days, but it's fun none-the-less.

Why would I swim in the loch ness when I can swim at my local garden centre eh! eh!!

Yeah, it's cold and mirky, two things that make you want to hop in and take a swim.

• Like 1

Make out your will before diving in. If 'Nessie' didn't get you, the cold surely would.

• Like 2

You swim in the Loch, I'll swim in the Caribbean! Freezing water, with or without monsters, no thanks!

I would but I'd for sure have to have a wet suit. Cold water ain't my thang ya'll.

• Like 2

Yes yes a million times yes...

but for a price.

• 3 weeks later...

Freezing cold water in in pitch-black darkness in a loch with steep drop-offs that you wouldn't see, in a highly remote area of the country? Not exactly a great idea. Even if you let yourself acclimatise first and even with a wetsuit, if you started wading out, stepped off the drop-off where the floor just plummets, you'd go straight down, hit the thermocline and could potentially drown a couple feet from shore.

Nah I'll pass. I'll go up Ben MacDhui and look for the Big Grey Man instead thanks.

• Like 2

I voted yes, but wish there was another choice. I would be a tad nervous, but not totally because of the legend. More because of a couple things:

I tend to let my mind wonder and enjoy the unknown.

Anyone should be a tad nervous when swimming at night.

Anyone should be a tad nervous when swimming in a cold large loch.

• Like 1

Yes. It's cold--isn't it a bit polluted too? And I don't like deep water that I can't see the bottom of. Creepy.

Oh...I guess I don't want to be eaten by a plesiosaur, either. Was that the answer I was supposed to give?

• Like 1

Yes. It's cold--isn't it a bit polluted too? And I don't like deep water that I can't see the bottom of. Creepy.

Oh...I guess I don't want to be eaten by a plesiosaur, either. Was that the answer I was supposed to give?

Give the answer not available: maybe, depending on the circumstances.

• Like 1

No, apart from the water being so freezing cold. It's hardly safe swimming there at night.

I just wouldn't ever visit Loch Ness.

• Like 1