Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Endangered axolotl found living in the wild

UM-Bot

Researchers have identified two of the highly endangered creatures living in the lakes of Mexico City.

Having come up empty following an extensive search for signs of wild axolotls last year, experts were ecstatic when they managed to find two of them living in the lakes and canals of the Mexican capital.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/262847/endangered-axolotl-found-living-in-the-wild

I did not realise they had become so rare. I love these crazy looking guys, they're family.

Edited by Junior Chubb
  • Like 1

I did not realise they had become so rare. I love these crazy looking guys, they're family.

The albino form is not uncommon in pet shops in the U.S., so they must be relatively easy to breed in captivity. Mexico should either capture the few wild ones and start a breeding program, or use ones from the pet trade (assuming the non-albino ones are available) and simply replenish the wild populations. This is sort of standard operation procedure in rare animals, capture them, work out a breeding program, try to find a pristine habitat OR try to "fix" a less-than-ideal habitat and then return a portion of the captive born animals to the wild.

• Like 2

Just goes to show you that nature will find a way. No matter what we as a race(human) do to ravage our one and only home, nature will fight back.

Global warming will wipe them out anyway...

wow.. I really fancy these extinct creatures, too bad the dirty environment is killing them, I agree with Azznerak the black. why did they survive the lakes of mexico of all places?

(really makes me think)

Yea I've seen black ones in pet stores here in Australia. Funky little things