Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Man Accidentally Kills Self With Gun

thedutchiedutch

Attn; come again, I was answering a posters question.

I was not there, and I don't know why this individual did what he did.

But I do know what the headlines said.

But even headlines can be wrong.

Tomorrow it might read murder.

Or (Thursday) it may say nothing.

That's' reporting for you. :tu:

Cryptically?

Perhaps a story can be written in a six line sentence.

It doesn't leave much room for spelling out every detail in it's six lines.

so what? a lot of people are negligent. And alcohol was involved. Lots of people drink. What did you think would happen? It's seems the gun nuts don't care about writing off thousands of people every year due to this crap.

Guess you are all in favor of banning cars also. Seems the car nuts don't care about writing off tens of thousands of people every year due to this crap.

• Like 1

The two rules I learned with guns was 1) never point a firearm at someone unless you mean to fire it at them and 2) assume any and all firearms are armed and loaded. This fellow is an idiot, plain and simple.

I also like this: 'The man's girlfriend told authorities he had been drinking most of the day before the incident took place.'

Yeah, whenever I'm demonstrating how to safely operate anything I need a good stiff drink or three.

Edited by Hasina
  • Like 3

I also like this: 'The man's girlfriend told authorities he had been drinking most of the day before the incident took place.'

(Alcohol) + (Guns) = (Never a winning combination).

Guess you are all in favor of banning cars also. Seems the car nuts don't care about writing off tens of thousands of people every year due to this crap.

So long as it isn't designed to kill the death count doesn't matter to him.

• Like 1

He 'accidentally' killed himself, sure. But you can't protect a dumbass when the dumbass has a gun. I was taught that even with the bolt out of a rifle it was to be pointed either at the ground or the sky.

That's not responsible ownership. At least he didn't kill anyone else accidentally.

Same here! In fact I think it was THAT rule that stuck the best. Even at 11 years old I figured out that if the IMPOSSIBLE was still considered dangerous then maybe I'd better just act like guns were ALWAYS dangerous and handle them correctly!
  • Like 2

Clearly he was not demonstrating proper gun safety.

Agreed !

• Like 1

Only person to blame is the idiot who killed himself. Don't blame guns on this. Guns are inanimate objects made of wood, metal and plastic. They don't do a damned thing, THEY JUST LAY THERE, until a human picks them up and uses them. They are only tools.

My guns have yet to leap up, run out the door, and gun someone down. I'm fairly certain they never will. They are not sentient, they are not evil.

Sheesh.

• Like 2

Mhm. He is a rather poor teacher.

A man from Independence Township, Michigan, accidentally shot himself to death on Monday while teaching his girlfriend about gun safety.

The 36-year-old man, whose name has not been released, was showing his girlfriend how his three handguns are safe when they aren’t loaded.

He was attempting to demonstrate the safety of the handguns by holding them to his head and pulling the trigger.

The third gun fired, and the man was struck in the head. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

Read the full story here : http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/02/25/man-shoots-himself_n_4853983.html

A man from Independence Township, Michigan, accidentally shot himself to death on Monday while teaching his girlfriend about gun safety.

The 36-year-old man, whose name has not been released, was showing his girlfriend how his three handguns are safe when they aren’t loaded.

He was attempting to demonstrate the safety of the handguns by holding them to his head and pulling the trigger.

The third gun fired, and the man was struck in the head. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

Read the full story here : http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/02/25/man-shoots-himself_n_4853983.html

That man was an idiot.

so what? a lot of people are negligent. And alcohol was involved. Lots of people drink. What did you think would happen? It's seems the gun nuts don't care about writing off thousands of people every year due to this crap.

Why is it my responsibility what happened to this man anymore than it's my responsibility when someone kills themselves driving recklessly?

• Like 4

It's a very sad situation. I'm not sure what he was teaching to his girlfriend, but it was definitely not the vital four ACTS of firearm safety.

[A]ssume every firearm is loaded.

[C]ontrol the muzzle direction at all times.

[T]rigger finger must be kept off the trigger and out of the trigger guard.

ee that the firearm is unloaded.

Edited by :PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR:

No matter where the gun comes from, I check the clip and chamber before handle it. This allows me to know for sure that the gun is loaded or not. Even then I assume it is loaded and never point at any individual or myself. When the gun is loaded and bullet in chamber, I keep my finger off the trigger and have it pointed downwards to the ground. Most people assume pointing the gun in the air is safe, it is not, the bullet drop from the sky and the arch allows for it to travel quite a ways before it falls back to the earth. Firing bullets in the air, it will come down somewhere and maybe it would kill someone. It isn't like it will obtain orbit in outer space where it will be harmless, that is incompetent thinking that gets many people killed.

Step One: Establish Proper Safety Measures

Step Two: Understand How Gun Works

Step Three: Understand How Bullets Travel

Step Four: Obtain Proper Storage of Guns

Step Five: Properly Maintain Guns

These five steps can prevent many accidental deaths by thousands if people just learn these five simple steps. Sad part of this, majority of these people don't even go through these five simple steps that could prevent the death of them or their love ones. Many of these people never attended gun safety classes or even been taught by their parents about gun safety. I think it should be mandatory for parents attend and to teach their children about gun safety if they plan on owning an gun. Here is an law that I think would be great and wouldn't infringe upon the rights of citizens. An individual that plans on owning an gun must take gun safety courses and classes before owning one, so much their family members such as children or spouse must attend as well. This will lead to less deaths, better handling and maintaining guns in today's society. It wouldn't take away our rights to own an gun, but it would lower the rate of accidental deaths at the hands of incompetent gun owners.

My question is... would you guys get behind an law like this? Making it mandatory for gun owners and their family to attend gun safety classes before they may own an gun in their household.

Edited by Uncle Sam

It's too bad the press decided to take the 'while teaching about gun safety' approach.

Putting a gun to your head and pulling the trigger has nothing to do with gun safety, but everything to do with gun bravado. There was no 'training demonstration' here.

The title should read:

Man kills self while being idiotic.

It's too bad the press decided to take the 'while teaching about gun safety' approach.

Putting a gun to your head and pulling the trigger has nothing to do with gun safety, but everything to do with gun bravado. There was no 'training demonstration' here.

The title should read:

Man kills self while being idiotic.

While agreeing on that, it sure sheds a light on certain "safety classes" and its "instructors"

My question is... would you guys get behind an law like this? Making it mandatory for gun owners and their family to attend gun safety classes before they may own an gun in their household.

I think it should be up to the states to decide. And then we'll have experiments we can look at the results of, without erring on the side of imposing on everybody.

in my state for sure, other states are for others to decide. But with more qualified instructors than this case, please.

No matter where the gun comes from, I check the clip and chamber before handle it.

No matter how much gun safety you think you have, by calling it a "clip", instead of a magazine means that you still have a lot to learn about your gun(s) and firearms in general.

well unless alcohol is involved. You don't seem to understand that people with guns don't necessarily HAVE common sense.

No matter how much gun safety you think you have, by calling it a "clip", instead of a magazine means that you still have a lot to learn about your gun(s) and firearms in general.

Years ago it was acceptable to call a magazine a clip. Not much different than when people called a hex key an allen wrench.

If you were taught by your parents or grandparents, how to use a gun, odds are that is what they called it.

Edited by Michelle