Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

80s/90s Book Vignettes of True Ghost Stories

lostangel007

Hi guys!!

Could anybody please help me find this book. It was a paperback, and it came out in the 80s or early 90s. I believe the book had a long title, like "Ghosts, Goblins, UFOS, and Other Things That Go Bump in the Night." However, I did a search for that and I cannot find it, even going through all the books on Amazon,

It was full of vignettes of supposedly true stories. The ones I remember are the disappearance of David Lang, the Beast of Croglin Grange, and another very short bit about an arctic explorer being splashed in the face with water by an invisible entity.

Some of the stories were accompanied by very cartoony, comical illustrations.

The book cover was light blue or green, I think, and may have had a cartoony ghost on the cover.

If anybody can figure out what book I am talking about, I would greatly appreciate it!

• Like 2

No, I am afraid that is not it. Again, it was a collection of collected "true" stories and it was illustrated.

If it's out of print for that long then your only real hope will be to check out some out of print websites. They often don't come up on a regular search engine search. I found a book once from the seventies on one of them once.

Browse this list and see if a title rings a bell. (there's over 2,000 titles, btw)

The Supernatural Index: A Listing of Fantasy, Supernatural, Occult, Weird and Horror Anthologies.

http://books.google.... Grange&f=false

Edited by Eldorado

• 1 month later...

I've been looking for this too.

I'm pretty sure we're talking about the same thing, except the ones I read were a series (my shcool's library had 3, there could have been more) of black, hardcover books, no more than 80-100 pages. The illustrations kind of looked Ripley-ish (but definitely not Ripley's), and I don't think each book was themed. I remember a handful of things (the Jersey devil), but not much else.

Maybe some of these keywords might draw in someone who knows...

• 4 weeks later...

12 Real Victorian Ghost Stories Illustrated [NOOK Book]

by Jean Bouchton

Relax, It's Only a Ghost: My Adventures with Spirits, Hauntings and Things That Go Bump in the Night

Was it either of these?

post-57450-0-14643900-1400686298_thumb.j

post-57450-0-06969300-1400686309_thumb.j

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I researched the stories in all of them and it doesn't really line up with the ones I remember.

I did, however, remember a few more things. The Philadelphia Experiment and Mary Celeste (or a similar ghost ship) were both in them. The Jersey Devil could have also been http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devil%27s_Footprints - I specifically remember the references to the single row of hoof prints going up walls.

I also tried calling my school to see if, by some miracle, my borrowing history was available 20 years later...it's not.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Hello everyone, sorry to dredge up this thread, but I think I'm looking for the same book too. I lent it to my cousin in the late 80's early 90's and she lost it. I remember mine was hardcover and it had a story about the Belmez Faces (faces that would appear on tiles of a kitchen floor). Does this ring a bell??

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Been looking for years for this book and I think some new clues in this thread helped me figure it out. After a couple hours of hunting today, I'm almost positive the books are by Peter Eldin with cartoony illustrations by Kim Blundell. There are three: Amazing Ghosts and Ghouls, Amazing Ghosts and other Mysteries, and Amazing Spooks and Mysteries. I think the third title is a compilation of the first two titles. I've ordered copies of these and will post pictures when I receive them to verify. Anyway, I've attached the cover of Amazing Ghosts and Ghouls, which resembles the cover of the book as I remember it (though missing the green border around it).

Screenshot_20170910-183026_zpsu29gksay.p

Edited by TinyRick
  • Like 1