Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Are soul mates a spiritual thing or legend?

LostSouls7

If there is one thing I know many human souls search for on this earth it's a magical romance. Well a soul mate. Some say it's a real spiritual thing. But some people say they are just old legends and that soul mates don't exist ?

Do you think soul mates exist and why???

I personally used to believe in them. But lately I am not so sure about this....

• Like 1

I believe it to be a chemical reaction in the body that makes it feel special. As we get older, not only do hormones weaken, but we become disillusioned by the battery of failed relationships. I believe that is why people under 25 typically believe in 'soul mates' and people over that age use 'soul mates' as an excuse to get sexual action.

Outside of that, if it were true that soul mates exist, what are the odds that you would find yours in a world population?

Basically, the fairy tale just doesn't make sense.

• Like 3

I agree. I also think the idea of love and soul mates is big money.

All these love advice shows, and books etc.

None of them know what they are talking about. But they will cash in on younger people.

I think there is a spiritual legend that soul mates where one two humans as one.

the man and woman. But then got separated. Then it legend goes

that both halfs wander the earth trying to find their soul mate....

I am not over 30.. yet a part of me wants to believe in soul mates...

It is true that love is a chemical reaction in the brain that is stronger than the drug Heroin....

it just makes me think does anyone truly fall in love to feel like they are on Heroin?

truly a mysterious thing..

• Like 1

Well, love itself is an amazing thing. I do believe in 'true love', but I view it very differently than Hollywood/popculture.

Everyone wants to feel special, set apart from others. This 'soul mate' thing helps us feel better about ourselves. As a slightly personal question, how many relationships have you been in? You do not have to answer, it's more about being truthful to yourself.

Me? Too many failed relationships. I got married a few years back and I will say that my wife is NOT my soulmate. She is my balance, but we knew about the arguing, troubles and such. She stayed with me when I fell into a very bad place (emotionally) and kept me alive when I was actively starving myself.

When my friends start spouting about "true love" or "soul mates" I ask a simple question: "Would they still be your soul mate or true love if they were in a terrible accident where you had to care for them? Wipe their posterior? Feed them? Not have relations?"

It's something to think about.

• Like 2

I think that we have soul mates in the sense that, out of all the people in the world, hopefully you will be lucky to find a handful that you genuinely love and click with.

Do I think it means your souls were literally a pair that were separated and destined to be together?

No.

But I do think that when you find the ultimate partner in compatibility, you know it. I knew it when I met my husband, and I would consider him one of my 'soul mates'.

My father and a childhood friend of mine would be some others.

Soul mates aren't necessarily lovers. They can be anyone; mother, father, child, husband, wife, friend.

• Like 2

First, one must assume there is a soul.

Therefore I find the idea of sould mates a nice bed time story for princesses.

Soul mates as in what Awake mentioned. Yes definity, there is aways someone on this planet that will stimulate all or senses the most.

:)

• Like 2

I do not think there is just "one" person out there for the other who is seeking. A person can find many people with whom they get along with very well.

It's a mind thing I guess, a nice illusion but if you are in the mood for a relationship then you have to make the first moves and no one is just gonna come flying in through your window and say "Hi. I'm your soul mate. Let's skip all the pleasantries and get married, whaddya say?".

• Like 1

I don't know. There are people who I connect with at a deep level. Even then people change and sometimes you drift apart. Sometimes you fall in love and they do not. Humans are complex creatures. If you wait around for the perfect person you miss the one who might be your balance.

• Like 2

You know, Edgar Cayce had an interesting view on soul mates.

Based on his psychic readings he taught that souls tend to incarnate together in clusters; group-souls if you will. They incarnate together to work out karma from previous lives and to continue the work of the evolution of the soul from life to life. These souls help us in our spiritual progression. So, according to his view, the very people that are significant in your life right now have probably been there in previous lives as well; but perhaps occupying different roles from incarnation to incarnation, as Awake2Chaos said. Your lover in this life might be your brother or sister in the next life, depending on what is needed for the evolution of the soul.

I like this idea that we've all known each other before.

• Like 3

I have met a number of people that believe their soul mates are not lovers. Sometimes it's a parent child relationship, sometimes a brother sister relationship, sometimes a platonic friendship.

• Like 1

I don't know if I believe in soul mates. Maybe difficult and messy karma exists between souls. This is all I seem to have.

There is plenty of biology that gets in the way for soul this, or soul that.

• Like 1

Well, love itself is an amazing thing. I do believe in 'true love', but I view it very differently than Hollywood/popculture.

Everyone wants to feel special, set apart from others. This 'soul mate' thing helps us feel better about ourselves. As a slightly personal question, how many relationships have you been in? You do not have to answer, it's more about being truthful to yourself.

Me? Too many failed relationships. I got married a few years back and I will say that my wife is NOT my soulmate. She is my balance, but we knew about the arguing, troubles and such. She stayed with me when I fell into a very bad place (emotionally) and kept me alive when I was actively starving myself.

When my friends start spouting about "true love" or "soul mates" I ask a simple question: "Would they still be your soul mate or true love if they were in a terrible accident where you had to care for them? Wipe their posterior? Feed them? Not have relations?"

It's something to think about.

I've been in one relationship ...

well the only real one that lasted two years....

I thought she was my soul mate.....

I think I felt the heroin love....

After we broke up.. i had to "kill" the heroin...

high.... or in love feeling.. for her....

From there I went into anger, and darkness...

but i sparked a drive in me to get things done

and accomplish goals...

But now I am in a state of bliss, and inner peace, and self empowerment...

I have also learned not to give my heart and soul completely to anyone..

for no one deserves that much....

But I am wise enough now to know..

that i am a powerful being for being happy and content alone...

If true love exists. and it is my destiny to find it...

then i will... but.. yet I don't long for it.. or "need" it...

I seek spiritual powers and wisdom now...

i would like to travel forests and many lands. while drinking potions...

i feel that is my destiny...

I've been in one relationship ...

well the only real one that lasted two years....

I thought she was my soul mate.....

I think I felt the heroin love....

After we broke up.. i had to "kill" the heroin...

high.... or in love feeling.. for her....

From there I went into anger, and darkness...

but i sparked a drive in me to get things done

and accomplish goals...

But now I am in a state of bliss, and inner peace, and self empowerment...

I have also learned not to give my heart and soul completely to anyone..

for no one deserves that much....

But I am wise enough now to know..

that i am a powerful being for being happy and content alone...

If true love exists. and it is my destiny to find it...

then i will... but.. yet I don't long for it.. or "need" it...

I seek spiritual powers and wisdom now...

i would like to travel forests and many lands. while drinking potions...

i feel that is my destiny...

wow...this is what I'm going through.after a 17 year relationship I've found it so difficult to kill that love "high".I went through a long period (about 7 month) where all I did was get smashed.. it doesn't help.I'm currently trying to get back on my true path...i still have the odd time where I get a little down but nowhere near what I went through before.I myself believe that if I'm destined to have true love then I will but like u I'm not looking.just enjoying the now.I'd like to walk through forests drinking potions shaman style :-)