Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

should you have to have an I.D to vote?

spartan max2

Ohio is about to pass a law making to where you have to show some form of identification to vote.

So I was curious what peoples view on this is.

Personally it makes since that you have to show your a citizen in order to vote for the leaders of our country. It seems like common sense to me...

Opponents of it claim that it hurts minority groups... but at the BMV you can get an I.D for free sooooooo yeah

And we use and I.D for everything else just saying

tings-that-require-id.jpg

23806983.jpg

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 3

It would keep illegals or dead people from voting so I would be for it.

• Like 7

Well according to Obamas own Law all Americans are required to have photo id to get healthcare therefore since all Americans are required to have health care everyone will by law have to have a photo id. If it is required for Healthcare I see no problem requiring it to vote.

• Like 9

Ohio is about to pass a law making to where you have to show some form of identification to vote.

So I was curious what peoples view on this is.

Personally it makes since that you have to show your a citizen in order to vote for the leaders of our country. It seems like common sense to me...

Opponents of it claim that it hurts minority groups... but at the BMV you can get an I.D for free sooooooo yeah

tings-that-require-id.jpg

23806983.jpg

For the record, I don't drive. But, I do always have an up to date ID card because I need to have it, to do a lot of things.... like buying alcohol. :)

Edited by Kowalski
  • Like 2

Put me down as a yes.

• Like 2

Another thing that makes me think you Americans are crazy.

We have to have ID to vote here, we're not always asked for it (knowing where you live is usually enough to get yourself ticked off the voter register).

• Like 3

Yes. Many thousands of yesses. An ID should be required. It should always be required.

• Like 2

The dems liken it to discrimination and say that it will "intimidate" black voters. Horse puckey! It won't intimidate anyone trying to legally vote - but that's kind of the point, isn't it?

• Like 3

Glad to know most people on this form agree lol

I was expecting at least one person to try and say it discriminates against people somehow

If they pass this they have to issue everyone who is eligible to vote one piece of ID for free (at the tax payors expense) otherwise people who can't afford ID can't vote. If they are going to require it then they are obligated to ensure all eligible voters have an ID including homeless people, retirees etc.

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 2

Glad to know most people on this form agree lol

I was expecting at least one person to try and say it discriminates against people somehow

Was I close?

If they pass this they have to issue everyone who is eligible to vote one piece of ID for free (at the tax payors expense) otherwise people who can't afford ID can't vote. If they are going to require it then they are obligated to ensure all eligible voters have an ID including homeless people, retirees etc.

Read my first post of the thread. people can already get an I.D for free. Plus anyone who uses a bank buys a home rents an apartment goes to school, drives or gets welfare, or work, all have an I.D of some sort... so if your not doing any of that your not alive

Was I close?

meh lol

Edited by spartan max2

I think the Obamacare piece ads an interesting twist to this debate.

And for the record, one should absolutely have to show some form of government issued identification to vote. No rational argument can be made to convince me that this is in any way racist or meant to suppress votes.

• Like 2

*snip* nevermind

Yeah most people don't realize you can get a free generic I.D from the BMV bureau of motor vehicles

• Like 1

Of course you should have to show id to vote. Voting is kind of an important thing as it can effect the flow of personal lives and commerce...it's kind of a "big deal"...

You have to show ID to do just about everything...cash a check, buy booze and tobacco...I think this is a little more important.

Yes...ID please.

• Like 2

Sure but the problem is not everyone can get to the (sic) BMV or has the documents to get an ID. It's not all that easy. And as we've discussed here on UM many times, the thinks you list as requiring and ID are also hogwash. In some places, sure, but it's not universal. Our nation does not require that you produce "papers" in order to do everything.

Aren't you all issued a bar code Social Security number when you're born in America?

Surely that's good enough for ID? And if you're a naturalized citizen, then the naturalization papers would be enough.

• Like 1

Sure but the problem is not everyone can get to the (sic) BMV or has the documents to get an ID. It's not all that easy. And as we've discussed here on UM many times, the thinks you list as requiring and ID are also hogwash. In some places, sure, but it's not universal. Our nation does not require that you produce "papers" in order to do everything.

ID should absalutely be manditory no matter what and that includes people on benifits. If you can`t prove your you then in todays world you don`t exist and your vote means nothing unless the reason is to tip the scales. No ID no vote. If some think thats discrimination then they shouldn`t be voting themselves. Voter fraud is a crime but wait, the US government has shown thats how they like it.

Aren't you all issued a bar code Social Security number when you're born in America?

Surely that's good enough for ID? And if you're a naturalized citizen, then the naturalization papers would be enough.

That would not work as they would have to back check every social security number and with out other ID they would not be able to know if its you except that you say thats you.

• Like 2

It`s funny how the government dictates the voting process. They should have no say and it should be done by an impartial party. However in the US that would not work as the payoffs would corrupt those that are suppose to be impartial. Democracy in the States is going the way of the dodo.

What I always find amusing is when the republicans say it is to prevent voter fraud the democrats say that there are very few cases of voter fraud??? how do you know if it is a fraudulent vote if you don't have to prove who you are to vote?

• Like 2