Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Gladiator school unearthed in Austria

UM-Bot

Archaeologists have uncovered the first gladiator training facility to be found outside of Rome.

The remains of the school were found hidden underneath a pasture near Carnuntum in eastern Austria and are now helping researchers understand what life might have been like for those unfortunate enough to have lived there.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/262986/gladiator-school-unearthed-in-austria

• Like 2

Homework included hamstringing your sleeping classmates. First to fall asleep wakes up crippled. (I heard)

• Like 1

I'm more amazed by the fact it was found in Austria...

• Like 1

The general who became a slave, a slave who became a gladiator, a gladiator who defined an empire

• Like 3

Wow. Interesting read. I had no idea that there were some "training schools" outside of Rome.

I thought that a training school was found in Britain a few years back.

I believe you are correct, I remember reading that as well.

Did the find Maximus's remains?

• Like 1

I'm more amazed by the fact it was found in Austria...

But it kind of explains Arnold Schwarzenegger's lineage. :yes:

• Like 3

Wow. Interesting read. I had no idea that there were some "training schools" outside of Rome.

As far as my (limited) knowledge goes, gladiatorial combat was the entertainment of choice of people across the Roman Empire, not just those lucky enough to live in the Eternal City. As it wouldn't be practical to train gladiators in Rome and export them across the Empire, it makes sense that there'd be schools across the Empire too.

Also, don't forget that the gladiator school Spartacus broke out of was in southern Italy, not Rome.

am I the only one who repeatedly reads that title as "Gladiator school unearthed in Australia"?

• Like 1

am I the only one who repeatedly reads that title as "Gladiator school unearthed in Australia"?

No.

:-)

• Like 1

I think Roman Empire was whole lot more vast and organized than I thought...

Obviously I don't know how organised and vast you thought it was, but consider that in the 2nd century, at the Empire's peak, it probably had a population around 50 million, with Rome containing close to one million of them. At the time it had an army of 25-30 legions, each of 5000 legionaries and 5000 miscellaneous auxiliary troops, a total of about 250,000 soldiers.