Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Road Closed for Toads

Eldorado

"A Lincolnshire road is set to be closed for a month so that toads can cross it in order to reach their breeding grounds.

The road near Sleaford will be out of service to vehicles so that the amphibians can reach their destination without being run over – and volunteers are being sought to help the little critters across."

"'As the males hitch a ride on the females back to cross the road, not only one toad may be run over, but two toads are killed as they are together.’

‘Toads are very hard to see on the roads at night and on wet days and so are easily killed by traffic.’

On one day last year, around 40 pairs were found splattered on the road."

Full article: http://metro.co.uk/2014/02/27/road-to-be-closed-for-a-month-so-hundreds-of-toads-can-cross-it-safely-4323866/

I have a new respect for male toads.

• Like 1

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!

Edited by Scrunchkruckets
  • Like 1

Better be careful, people might get angry and they'll have cases of toad rage on their hands.

• Like 7

I have a new respect for male toads.

Not so hasty El, are you aware that male frogs and toads have no external genitalia? That the larger more powerful females will allow the the males to mount them only once a year during egg laying?

• Like 2

Not so hasty El, are you aware that male frogs and toads have no external genitalia? That the larger more powerful females will allow the the males to mount them only once a year during egg laying?

Once a year is double my current ration so I'd be happy.

• Like 5

Once a year is double my current ration so I'd be happy.

I dunno...the lack of external genitalia might just put a damper on your happiness!

(not to mention Amazon sized females)

Edited by Lilly
addition
  • Like 1

I dunno...the lack of external genitalia might just put a damper on your happiness!

I'd be a toad, so I doubt I'd mind. :)

It's a better deal than the male preying mantis gets...

• Like 2

It's a better deal than the male preying mantis gets...

I have to agree! Getting 'lucky' only to find out you're now a post-coital *snack* can't be a good thing.

• Like 3

Oh, El, poor thing. I'd give you a ride on my back but I'm not Amazonian enough, lol

Are these things endangered? Forty doesn't seem like a lot to have been killed last year. Guess I'll read the article...ok it doesn't say they're in danger of dying out. I guess 80 toads is too much to lose in a year?

• Like 3

I guess 80 toads is too much to lose in a year?

It's their natural habitat and breeding ground, so deemed worthy of the effort to protect them and it. Apparently, frogs and toads will return to these places no matter what obstacle is in their way. Rambo toads, kinda.

Plus... us Brits don't like driving over blood-spattered roads, or toads. It's enough to put one off one's toad in the hole. http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/5822/toad-in-the-hole-in-4-easy-steps

• Like 3

I have to agree! Getting 'lucky' only to find out you're now a post-coital *snack* can't be a good thing.

I think the Black Widow Spider also kills their mate after coitus. What a way to go.

• Like 2

Does your lack of external genit......DOH! Nevermind.
  • Like 2

Does your lack of external genit......DOH! Nevermind.

Uh...most of mine is already internal...don't think most human males would be all that happy for such a set up though. I won't even bother mentioning the once a year mating thing.

• Like 2

I'm happy for the toads. Smart move on teh city to close teh road. a 40% success rate at crossing a road is bad. Almost as bad as a chicken crossing the road for whatever reason.

• Like 1

Why did the chicken cross the road?

To help the toads to the other side, lol!

...sorry...it had to be done.

• Like 3

The video game 'Frogger' would have been pretty boring had they based it on this scenario. :whistle:

• Like 2

It is nice to see the County of my Birth being so compassionate.As a kid I remember the roads around one of local ponds full of frogs and toads and the poor little blighters being squished.

Edited by shaddow134
  • Like 2

It is nice to see the County of my Birth being so compassionate. As a kid I remember the roads around one of local ponds full of frogs and toads and the poor little blighters being squished.

We are so compassionate, this kind of thing can happen.....

Civil Servants send letters to a woman demanding she make an effort to find work even though she has been in a coma for two months.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-26377119

:(

We are so compassionate, this kind of thing can happen.....

Civil Servants send letters to a woman demanding she make an effort to find work even though she has been in a coma for two months.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...hester-26377119

:(

The unelected and undemocratic Government is Alas full of rich spoilt hoohah Henry's and it breaks my Heart to see my beloved country being pulled slowly to her knee's.

Edited by shaddow134
  • Like 1