Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Cop shoots 70 year old man

OverSword

Here is the link to the copywritten AP article

And here is the editorial written about the incident from a different website

And an exerpt from the second link:

In a state where it was once commonplace to carry a hunting rifle in the back window of one’s truck at all times, a man has been shot by York County, South Carolina deputies because Deputy Terrence Knox thought that the man was reaching for a rifle in the back of his truck.

The victim, 70-year-old Bobby Canipe, was, of course, not reaching for a rifle but for his cane which he kept in the bed of the truck.

The shooting occurred when Canipe was pulled over by Deputy Knox due to an expired license plate on Tuesday evening. Deputies claim that Canipe got out of the vehicle and reached into the back of his truck, which is when fear overtook Deputy Knox. Knox then fired not one but several shots at Canipe, hitting him once.

Fortunately, Canipe is expected to recover.

Trent Faris, official spokesman of the York County Sheriff’s Office stated that the shooting was unfortunate but “appeared to be appropriate because Knox felt an imminent threat to his life,” according to the Associated Press.

Deputy Knox has since been placed on paid vacation, also known as paid leave, while the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division “investigates” the incident and does whatever it can to blame the victim and eliminate any legitimacy to claims of wrongdoing on the part of the fearless deputy.

Of course, Deputy Knox had every right to be afraid. Disabled septuagenarians are, after all, the group most responsible for the deaths of deputies in the United States. It is also quite possible that Mr. Canipe was a domestic terrorist, making Deputy Knox’s uncontrollable terror all the more justified.

Still, if an old man with a cane represents a situation in which such violent panic must take place on the part of the Deputy, perhaps he should find a career that does not frighten him so much? Although police work itself is

not as dangerous as media outlets and Law Enforcement agencies would have us believe, Deputy Knox would clearly be suited to a profession that does not involve real responsibility, a requirement to make quick decisions, or, obviously, the slightest bit of courage.

• Like 4

well now they can interpret anything you do as threat and kill you.

really??? Disabled septuagenarians are, after all, the group most responsible for the deaths of deputies in the United States.

Edited by aztek
  • Like 1

So when you get pulled over, you should get out of the car and reach into the bed of your pickup truck??? No.

• Like 1

So when you get pulled over, you should get out of the car and reach into the bed of your pickup truck??? No.

So if you reach into the bed of your pickup the deputy should panic like a little panty waste and fire several shots hitting you with one of them? Yeah orange, this is obviously the fault of the old man. This cop can't be blamed for being a panik stricken coward who acts without thinking. I do have give you props though, When I posted this I thought for sure you would be here justifying the unjustifiable before anyone else had time to respond.
  • Like 4

So if you reach into the bed of your pickup the deputy should panic like a little panty waste and fire several shots hitting you with one of them? Yeah orange, this is obviously the fault of the old man. This cop can't be blamed for being a panik stricken coward who acts without thinking. I do have give you props though, When I posted this I thought for sure you would be here justifying the unjustifiable before anyone else had time to respond.

The man got out of the truck. You are not supposed to get out of the car when you get pulled over. That is common sense. Do you get out when you get pulled over?

The man got out of the truck. You are not supposed to get out of the car when you get pulled over. That is common sense. Do you get out when you get pulled over?

yes. cops do ask step out of the vehicle quite often. in real world that is.

The reason you are not supposed to get out of the car is so you don't get hit by another driver (because the police share liability) not so you don't get shot. It's not against the law and certainly does not justify this panic response from the coward cop.

Why do you ALWAYS blame the person that got shot?

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 4

a man should be able to reach into the back of his truck for his cane without getting shot at. this i agree with.

however that isn't how things work anymore. people are just not that trustworthy and that's a drag but it's a fact.

this guy really shouldn't have gotten out of the truck. if he was told to get out he needed to let the cop know that his cane was in the back and that he would need it. (in order to prevent any fatal misunderstandings.)

i do not condone the action of the cop, i am just not surprised that this happened.

Edited by JGirl
  • Like 1

"Knox then fired not one but several shots at Canipe, hitting him once."

Once? That cop shouldn't have been given a gun.

• Like 5

a man should be able to reach into the back of his truck for his cane without getting shot at. this i agree with.

however that isn't how things work anymore. people are just not that trustworthy and that's a drag but it's a fact.

this guy really shouldn't have gotten out of the truck. if he was told to get out he needed to let the cop know that his cane was in the back and that he would need it. (in order to prevent any fatal misunderstandings.)

i do not condone the action of the cop, i am just not surprised that this happened.

I'm not surprised either, the cops definetly shoot without good cause often and any time you deal with them you should fear for your life or your freedom.

The reason you are not supposed to get out of the car is so you don't get hit by another driver (because the police share liability) not so you don't get shot. It's not against the law and certainly does not justify this panic response from the coward cop.

Why do you ALWAYS blame the person that got shot?

Why do you NEVER blame the person that got shot? It is completely stupid and idiotic to reach in the back of a pickup truck during a traffic stop. When you post stuff about kids getting shot and such, that is different..but this is some absolute BS.

A similar incident happened here in the DFW area where an elderly man was shot in his own garage when he was investigating a sound he heard. Police were even at the wrong address...

http://crimeblog.dallasnews.com/2014/01/tarrant-county-grand-jury-declines-to-indict-fort-worth-officer-who-shot-killed-72-year-old-man.html/

• Like 2

Similar because they were both old? That's a stretch.

No, similar because they got shot for no good reason by morons with badges.

And the reason I never blame the person that got shot in these discussions is because no stories are posted where the cop was in the right, because those are not controversial enough to post.

• Like 2

Why do you NEVER blame the person that got shot? It is completely stupid and idiotic to reach in the back of a pickup truck during a traffic stop. When you post stuff about kids getting shot and such, that is different..but this is some absolute BS.

yea, we do blame people that get shot, when they deserve it. to say we never blame them is a lie.

It is completely stupid and idiotic to shoot an old man before you actually see a weapon.

• Like 2

You are absolutely unreasonable to think that this man was not in the wrong at all. So that is something you would do in a traffic stop? Hop right out of your car and reach into the bed of a pickup?

You are absolutely unreasonable to think that this man was not in the wrong at all. So that is something you would do in a traffic stop? Hop right out of your car and reach into the bed of a pickup?

and you are absolutely unreasonable to think that this man was in the wrong at all, knowing how common police missconduct is,

he was puilled over for expired tag. nothing to suggest a 70 years old is a threat.

and regardless what he went for in the bed, cop did not see a rifle,. he did not even see caine before he killed the guy, or he would know it was not a gun.

you know the more sht like this i see the more i think cops should not even have guns, correction officers do not, and they work amongst thousands hard core criminals every day.

Edited by aztek
  • Like 1

Wow. Bad decisions all around. I can't decide who was more wrong...

Glad no one died in this case.

• Like 3

Isn't it when you get pulled over you remain in your car until the officer asks you to step out, if he does at all? The man was at fault for getting out of his car, and the cop was at fault also for immediately over-reacting. It was action, than reaction, albeit a little over the top. They are both partially to blame in my opinion.

• Like 3

Also, I truly believe that had this man been a teen, or in his twenties in a high crime area, that those on here defending the cop would say he acted in pre-emptive self defense. Also just my opinion.

I'm not surprised either, the cops definetly shoot without good cause often and any time you deal with them you should fear for your life or your freedom.

or at the very least don't go whipping things our of your pockets or reaching in dark places suddenly.
  • Like 1

Isn't it when you get pulled over you remain in your car until the officer asks you to step out, if he does at all? The man was at fault for getting out of his car, and the cop was at fault also for immediately over-reacting. It was action, than reaction, albeit a little over the top. They are both partially to blame in my opinion.

Oh it comforts me to see at least one rational voice on these threads.

• Like 2

The man was at fault for getting out of his car,

don't assign fault just yet, you don't know he was not ordered out of the car. i'm pretty sure if cop did not want him to get out, he'd tell him that as soon as he opened the door, it would end before he had a chance to reach for cane. one way or the other. seen it happened many times.

Edited by aztek