Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

[Merged] Man declared dead wakes up in body bag

thedutchiedutch

Workers at a Mississippi funeral home say they found a man alive and kicking when they opened a body bag.

Holmes County Coroner Dexter Howard calls it a miracle that 78-year-old Walter Williams is alive.

Link to full article : http://www.cbc.ca/ne...y-bag-1.2555112

• Like 2

OMG Imagine waking up in a body bag? Given today's fluid definition of death in the Medical Realm - surely it takes more than the lack of a pulse to declare someone dead? He had to have been breathing to be able to wake up at a later time, even if it was very shallow breaths just for starters and by the time he reached the Funeral Home and they were ready to embalm him - he should have been stone cold.

• Like 5

I think I would have crapped my pants if the dude woke up on me.

Back in the days of the depression I was told that people often didn't have a doctor verify they were dead so when they took them to the mortuary the morticians would often whack the bodies in the back of the head with a hammer to be sure they were dead. Hey, times were hard and they brought them in dead, he just made sure they stayed dead was all.

Edited by keninsc
  • Like 5

By thinking - it could have been worse...

• Like 4

"Saved by the bell" ... seems there is a long history of people reviving following a perceived death. So much so that "safety coffins" were developed allowing an interred individual to signal the outside world so as be released.

• Like 1

I think I would have crapped my pants if the dude woke up on me.

Back in the days of the depression I was told that people often didn't have a doctor verify they were dead so when they took them to the mortuary the morticians would often whack the bodies in the back of the head with a hammer to be sure they were dead. Hey, times were hard and they brought them in dead, he just made sure they stayed dead was all.

Well given the possible alternative of waking up in a coffin 6ft under - I'm all for getting whacked on the back of the head at that point, the harder the better.

• Like 2

Now that would be a story to tell the grandchildren.

• Like 1

Well given the possible alternative of waking up in a coffin 6ft under - I'm all for getting whacked on the back of the head at that point, the harder the better.

Naaaw, they were getting ready to embalm him. He wasn't going to wake up anywhere once they slammed that suction wand in his chest.

I wonder if he'll have a NDE to tell like others who came back? Seeing white lights and deceased relatives.

Dang, that's wild.

His pacemaker must have started back-up fairly quickly, in fact while still at the coroner's.

From: https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/scda/

Sudden cardiac arrest (SCA) is a condition in which the heart suddenly and unexpectedly stops beating. If this happens, blood stops flowing to the brain and other vital organs.

SCA usually causes death if it's not treated within minutes.

Now that would be a story to tell the grandchildren.

Grandpa: "Did I ever tell you about the time I woke up dead?" lol

• Like 1

Naaaw, they were getting ready to embalm him. He wasn't going to wake up anywhere once they slammed that suction wand in his chest.

Yeh, but I was talking about your anecdote about the way they used to confirm folk were dead before embalming existed.

I would have screamed my head off and instantly thought of "zombie" then ran off.

What is the obsession with Zombies? It seems like the big thing since Pet Rocks back in the 70's. :yes:

• Like 1

What is the obsession with Zombies? It seems like the big thing since Pet Rocks back in the 70's. :yes:

They are pretty damn overrated if you're asking me.

Goblins on the other hand, yeah. They're all that.

• Like 3

As my roommate brought-up, knowing that a "body bag" is not technically "hermetically sealed", it's still sealed "enough" to cause major issue with respiration, even if his pace-maker started-up again.

Not saying that the report is false, just that it's strange. Hence why it's in this forum section I guess.

I don't know. Weird to be sure on several medical levels.

• Like 1

Jeeze, I would be worried if it could happen again..."how many times do I have to tell you...NOT YET!"

• Like 2

Jeeze, I would be worried if it could happen again..."how many times do I have to tell you...NOT YET!"

Yeah, like "I'm not ready to die, OK?"

• Like 1

My goodness, I can't describe how much that would suck. Really. My biggest fear is being buried alive. I'd have woke up like a wild cat and they would have thought zombie.

My goodness, I can't describe how much that would suck. Really. My biggest fear is being buried alive. I'd have woke up like a wild cat and they would have thought zombie.

I hear you, that would suck.

Be comforted :w00t: to know that in that type of environment, that your mind starved of oxygen and now mostly carbon dioxide, will cause one to go seriously delusional in 7-10 seconds, complete unconsciousness(not feeling anything at all) will occur between 10 and 30-seconds, and you will die an unconscious death within 5-minutes or perhaps a little longer, without knowing a thing beyond the first 10-30 seconds.

The time line varies among people and circumstance. :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

As a reformed psycho serial killer, I can attest to this.

Edited by pallidin
  • Like 2