Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Cryptid's Spotted On My Land?

AlexisKaitlyn77

Hello, I'm Lexi and this is my first post here on Unexplained Mysteries. Although I am only fifteen years of age, the experiences I have lived through are tremendous. I've have seen things ranging from cryptid's, S-P, UFO sightings, and extreme paranormal incidences. On this post, I will be sharing only the cryptid sightings on my land in Central Illinois.

________________________________________________________________________________

When I was a little girl, my father and I would go hunting in the woods right behind my house. During that age, I had never paid attention to the things around me, other than my target of the day. Apparently, at the age of six, my father bought me my first bow. It was a simple compound bow, complete with an arrow sheath. The first week I had the bow, I practiced A LOT. He told me after a week of practicing, he had some relatives over and I had shot a sparrow out of a tree from seven yards. I do not remember this, but that is his recollection of the event.

Throughout the years, I have continued in the art of archery, and have became very skilled. As a result, I would take my friends out at night and we'd camp in what we call "The Hole". It is simply a large hole in the land in which a small pond resides. Having camped multiple times before, I took my friend Kelsey out there for the first time. As we were walking toward the sight, I started hearing sounds that I shouldn't have heard. Being raised a hunter, my ears are tuned quite well and I can recognize a diverse range of animal calls. I whispered for her to wait as I crept toward the direction the call came from. After flashing my flashlight ahead, I saw two pairs of reflective eyes. I immediately tried to identify the creatures I was seeing.

One pair of the eyes were farther from the ground than the other, which was confusing. When my eyes finally adjusted, I could see the closest animal was standing on its hind legs, yet it had a sort of arched spine. It had matted dark fur and looked as if it had mange. After seeing this, the creature turned its head sharply in my direction and let out only what I can describe as a loud yowl or snarl. I immediately whispered for Kelsey to start walking fast back toward the house, and I followed, never taking my eyes off the animals. Although I had expected it to chase us, it immediately turned and went back to whatever it was doing. We ran like hell after that.

Another experience in these woods was quite strange. I can only describe it as completely unbelievable.

It was about thirty minutes before dawn and my nephew and I were heading to the stands (My nephew is 19, I'm adopted). It was a routine morning, slip on our hunting clothes, gathering our equipment and drinking coffee before we head out. We started out good, walking a third of a mile through the field. When we were close to the edge of the woods, Adam pointed out a small figure hunched over a pile of leaves. The sky was starting to lighten but it was still hard to see without a flashlight. I focused on the figure and it looked to me like a strange rag of skin and large ears that drooped quite a lot. I pulled out my phone and turned on the flashlight, and the thing leaped backward and bared its teeth, which were pointed and yellow-black. I grabbed my bow and it ran, fast, toward the bushes in the trees. I had no ambition to chase it down, so I convinced Adam to give up the hunt for the day.

Any Ideas of what these things were?

• Like 1

Hi welcome to the forum. Very odd story and I can't tell you what those things were, sounds kind of like what people think a chupacabra looks like but I personally believe they don't exist. Did you ever return to the spots of the sightings?

• Like 1

What is your draw length and let off on your now?

That was draw not "now"

Man stupid auto spell.

On your "bow"?

• Like 1

Hello, I'm Lexi and this is my first post here on Unexplained Mysteries. Although I am only fifteen years of age, the experiences I have lived through are tremendous. I've have seen things ranging from cryptid's, S-P, UFO sightings, and extreme paranormal incidences. On this post, I will be sharing only the cryptid sightings on my land in Central Illinois.

________________________________________________________________________________

When I was a little girl, my father and I would go hunting in the woods right behind my house. During that age, I had never paid attention to the things around me, other than my target of the day. Apparently, at the age of six, my father bought me my first bow. It was a simple compound bow, complete with an arrow sheath. The first week I had the bow, I practiced A LOT. He told me after a week of practicing, he had some relatives over and I had shot a sparrow out of a tree from seven yards. I do not remember this, but that is his recollection of the event.

Throughout the years, I have continued in the art of archery, and have became very skilled. As a result, I would take my friends out at night and we'd camp in what we call "The Hole". It is simply a large hole in the land in which a small pond resides. Having camped multiple times before, I took my friend Kelsey out there for the first time. As we were walking toward the sight, I started hearing sounds that I shouldn't have heard. Being raised a hunter, my ears are tuned quite well and I can recognize a diverse range of animal calls. I whispered for her to wait as I crept toward the direction the call came from. After flashing my flashlight ahead, I saw two pairs of reflective eyes. I immediately tried to identify the creatures I was seeing.

One pair of the eyes were farther from the ground than the other, which was confusing. When my eyes finally adjusted, I could see the closest animal was standing on its hind legs, yet it had a sort of arched spine. It had matted dark fur and looked as if it had mange. After seeing this, the creature turned its head sharply in my direction and let out only what I can describe as a loud yowl or snarl. I immediately whispered for Kelsey to start walking fast back toward the house, and I followed, never taking my eyes off the animals. Although I had expected it to chase us, it immediately turned and went back to whatever it was doing. We ran like hell after that.

Another experience in these woods was quite strange. I can only describe it as completely unbelievable.

It was about thirty minutes before dawn and my nephew and I were heading to the stands (My nephew is 19, I'm adopted). It was a routine morning, slip on our hunting clothes, gathering our equipment and drinking coffee before we head out. We started out good, walking a third of a mile through the field. When we were close to the edge of the woods, Adam pointed out a small figure hunched over a pile of leaves. The sky was starting to lighten but it was still hard to see without a flashlight. I focused on the figure and it looked to me like a strange rag of skin and large ears that drooped quite a lot. I pulled out my phone and turned on the flashlight, and the thing leaped backward and bared its teeth, which were pointed and yellow-black. I grabbed my bow and it ran, fast, toward the bushes in the trees. I had no ambition to chase it down, so I convinced Adam to give up the hunt for the day.

Any Ideas of what these things were?

Hi Alexis, Welcome to the site, I've read your post, but there are a lot of sceptics here who will not believe you unless you provide proof ,such as a photo or video ,so next time you see anything strange don't forget your camera.I dont suppose your 2nd name is KATNISS and not Kaitlyn.
  • Like 1

Hi Alexis, Welcome to the site, I've read your post, but there are a lot of sceptics here who will not believe you unless you provide proof ,such as a photo or video ,so next time you see anything strange don't forget your camera.I dont suppose your 2nd name is KATNISS and not Kaitlyn.

I would hope that believers would also ask for the same evidence. If not, then you may as well be hanging out at a creative writing website.

Edited by Rafterman
  • Like 2

Hello Lexi and welcome. I too am from your area here in the Land of Lincoln.

Do you recall the color of the eyes? Did it walk mostly on 2 or 4 legs?

I was always skeptical of any cryptid existing here in this state because it's

mostly flat farmland with pockets of wooded areas unlike the western states.

Just not enough cover to hide. But you never know.

• Like 1

I'd like to see a drawing of the second one you described. I'm not sure how to picture your description.

I assume since you've hunted this area for so long you are familiar with known local animal tracks and kills and also would know other hunters. Ever see or hear about anything unusual?

I would assume others know about your and your friend's/nephew's experiences. Any type of confirmation from others (hunters)?

Edited by QuiteContrary

Just because I was raised in a small farm town and have hunted all my life does not imply that I am "Katniss". A lot of girls hunt around Central Illinois. I only remember what I described here, I apologize that I have no proof, the only thing I can give you is a photo from Google Earth. http://alexiskaitlyn77.tumblr.com/image/78351619569

@Hawkin, I live in Beardstown, right on the Illinois River and we have a decent amount of woodland. I wouldn't make up something like this. And QuiteContrary, A couple of hunters northwest from my land have reported similar sightings, although they're right on the edge of the river channel. Their land: http://alexiskaitlyn77.tumblr.com/image/78352289008

• Like 1

I will post drawings of the creatures as soon as I can.

• Like 2

Lexi I believe you saw something. It's just a matter of what was it. Maybe if you can get

some trail cams and post them around the area of the sightings you might get lucky.

If you get some kind of photographic evidence it would help strengthen your case.

I see on your google map that those sightings were very close to a farm house.

We're not to far apart. I live in Mt. Sterling.

Edited by Hawkin

Thank you, Hawkin. I do live near a farm, but the animals are not free-ranged and they are fenced in. As for the trail cams, we are having them installed this summer given the amount of deer that have been found decapitated and skinned. I suspect poachers baiting coyotes.

Thank you, Hawkin. I do live near a farm, but the animals are not free-ranged and they are fenced in. As for the trail cams, we are having them installed this summer given the amount of deer that have been found decapitated and skinned. I suspect poachers baiting coyotes.

I bet everyone has there suspicions who the poachers are.. It's just a matter of proving it. I know about QuackScam.

Just like cryptid creatures. Solid proof is needed to bring the case to light. :)

Agreed it might be poachers, in the area most of these creatures don't decapitated and skin the animal. The trail cameras should be good idea to track those guys doing these thing to the animals in your area. Hopefully, you can get some evidence of what you saw thanks to these cameras. Win/win as they help you find out what you saw then also help catch the poachers.

"I would hope that believers would also ask for the same evidence. If not, then you may as well be hanging out at a creative writing website."

I'm an English major, give us writers some credit, we can write more unbelievable things then sparkling vampires, I promise, just go read 100 years of solitude. My suggestion for you AlexisKaitlyn77 is tor report it to your local Department of Wildlife agency. They might not take it seriously, but at least it will be reported so if whatever it was get spotted again people will know it is not the first time it was seen. I was a little younger then you when my sister and I saw a large black panther sitting next to a tree in someone's yard. Locals believe in the South Carolina Black Panther, but no one else does. Back then I didn't know where to report sightings like that, even so I still regret not reporting it.

"I would hope that believers would also ask for the same evidence. If not, then you may as well be hanging out at a creative writing website."

I'm an English major, give us writers some credit, we can write more unbelievable things then sparkling vampires, I promise, just go read 100 years of solitude. My suggestion for you AlexisKaitlyn77 is tor report it to your local Department of Wildlife agency. They might not take it seriously, but at least it will be reported so if whatever it was get spotted again people will know it is not the first time it was seen. I was a little younger then you when my sister and I saw a large black panther sitting next to a tree in someone's yard. Locals believe in the South Carolina Black Panther, but no one else does. Back then I didn't know where to report sightings like that, even so I still regret not reporting it.

Actually, the Dept. Of Conservation and other branches reintroduce wildlife back in habitat they once roamed centuries ago

when settlers came and killed them off. In my state they introduced the wild turkey back in the 80's but It was on local news.

They fail to mention predator animals like bobcats and cougars which have been caught on trail cams in my state.

Learn something knew everyday, never knew the turkey got hunted out. I knew deer had to reintroduced in a few states. Officials can be a bit slow to acknowledge or take actions to sightings of large predators, just look at the case of cougars in Colorado back in the 90s. Predators are returning to areas they have not been seen in for sometimes over a hundred years, and I don't think America is ready for them. Which is why they like to ignore the cougars spotted on your trail cams.

I never said that departments like the ones you mentioned didn't re-release species, (rewilding is an interest of mine). The reason I suggested reporting the sighting to DNR is because I know, (that the South Carolina Department of Wildlife, has to keep a record of reported sightings or at least that is what my close friend that works for them told me). Might take forever but if enough sightings are reported they may launch an investigation.

Learn something knew everyday, never knew the turkey got hunted out. I knew deer had to reintroduced in a few states. Officials can be a bit slow to acknowledge or take actions to sightings of large predators, just look at the case of cougars in Colorado back in the 90s. Predators are returning to areas they have not been seen in for sometimes over a hundred years, and I don't think America is ready for them. Which is why they like to ignore the cougars spotted on your trail cams.

I never said that departments like the ones you mentioned didn't re-release species, (rewilding is an interest of mine). The reason I suggested reporting the sighting to DNR is because I know, (that the South Carolina Department of Wildlife, has to keep a record of reported sightings or at least that is what my close friend that works for them told me). Might take forever but if enough sightings are reported they may launch an investigation.

I suspect the introduction of predatory animals is because my state has an overwhelming population of deer and it's an attempt

to thin out the herds. Hunters will come out of state and even locals during the season will hunt deer but most want that big trophy

buck instead of the does. They run out in front of cars and cause accidents. My brother so far hit 3 and it cost him for repairs.

(knock on wood) I haven't hit any.

• Like 1

Well predators will go were the food is, and they can do a good job controlling populations, and have big impact on the overall health of ecosystems. As for deer we have the same problem with deer, where I live. Oddly my friends that live within city limits see more deer then I do, and I live out in a rather rural area. Here is hoping both are luck hold, I haven't hit one yet (knock on wood). It is kind of funny when you think about it, since there are not that many big predators left in America deer probably kill more people then wolves, bears, and cougars do. More then a hundred people die from collisions with white tailed deer each year in the US, and injuries from deer collisions have been estimated at nine to sixteen thousand per year. ( got that out of a book I have called "The Book of Deadly Animals By Gordon Grice") Bambi might kill people, but we still love him, just not his mom.

This is true and a couple years back I was camping across the river at Schuy-Rush Lake Campground and found cougar tracks. I'm a big nature lover so I tend to be in the woods or fishing all day. A few weeks later someone caught a photo of the cat on a trail camera and it was in newspapers. No one knew where it came from but my guess is they were reintroduced to the area to cut down on the deer. But what I seen was plain bizarre, I was sort of shocked by it but I seen enough to tell it wasn't from around here at least. At first I thought of a bear, but they don't live anywhere close to here.

You never answered..

Your draw, and let off % of your bow?

This is true and a couple years back I was camping across the river at Schuy-Rush Lake Campground and found cougar tracks. I'm a big nature lover so I tend to be in the woods or fishing all day. A few weeks later someone caught a photo of the cat on a trail camera and it was in newspapers. No one knew where it came from but my guess is they were reintroduced to the area to cut down on the deer. But what I seen was plain bizarre, I was sort of shocked by it but I seen enough to tell it wasn't from around here at least. At first I thought of a bear, but they don't live anywhere close to here.

I've heard that a cougar has been caught on a trail cam in Pike County some years back.

It could be possible they have introduced black bear since they've done everything else.

I doubt they were reintroduced, it is possible, but keep in mind predators travel large distances and have large home ranges. Populations are growing, and the animals are returning to areas that they use to be part of their native home range. A healthy male cougar might inhabit a home range of several hundred square miles. I know of one account of a male cougar traveling at least 2,400 kilometers from South Dakota to Connecticut before being killed by an SUV. The real problem is gone to be that cougars are gone to go into urban areas that have healthy deer population. Another issue is gone to be that cougars use to be terrified of anything that resembled the sound of wolf barking or howling (so they ran away from dogs), because wolves are notorious for chasing down cougars and treeing them. Cougars do not have to worry about wolves anymore since we killed most of them, so now the cats aren't scared of dogs anymore, in fact most like the taste of dogs.

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/extinction-countdown/2012/06/14/cougars-returning-midwest-after-more-than-100-years/

this article has the statement about the cougar who traveled 2,400 kilometers.

Edited by eaglesareskykittens

You never answered..

Your draw, and let off % of your bow?

The Googles is broken.