Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Mysterious Land Of Punt

mysteriousguy

Egyptian And West Semitic Words In Sumatra's Rejang Culture

**SNIP**

**Please do not cut and paste more than necessary to support your discussion point, and always post the source.**

Edited by aquatus1
Wall of Text

There is also a forum rule about NOT pasting reams of text.

2c. Plagiarism and copyright: If you quote text from an external web site then please always provide a source link. Members are asked to copy only as much as is necessary when quoting material from external sources, do not copy and paste entire articles or web pages. ( See our Sourcing FAQ )

• Like 1

Punt = Sumatra = Possible

Punt = East Africa = More Likely

(Just my opinion)

AND...

Welcome to you MysteriousGuy!

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 1

Holy Frejoles! That is a lot of stuff to read there.

infooverload.jpg

• Like 3

Holy Frejoles! That is a lot of stuff to read there.

infooverload.jpg

Totally agree!

I'm not even going to bother.

Silly punt. :)

Take no offense... I couldn't resist :)

Welcome to UM though!!! :)

• Like 1

Welcome to UM, mysteriousguy.

Rather than rely on linguistics to locate the Land of Punt, it would be better to rely on what is related to us about that land via archaeological sources.

For example, we know that ancient Egypt and Punt were trading partners, and that Egyptian imports from Punt included various flora and fauna that are indigenous to the African region, but not found in Indonesia. Two particular species associated with Punt from archaeological records found in Egypt are giraffes and African Blackwood, neither of which are found outside Africa.

While the similarity of some words in languages of the ancient near/middle east and the far east is interesting, I would not take those similarities to indicate as close a relationship between the peoples of those regions as is implied in the OP.

Edited by Leonardo

Welcome to UM, mysteriousguy.

Rather than rely on linguistics to locate the Land of Punt, it would be better to rely on what is related to us about that land via archaeological sources.

For example, we know that ancient Egypt and Punt were trading partners, and that Egyptian imports from Punt included various flora and fauna that are indigenous to the African region, but not found in Indonesia. Two particular species associated with Punt from archaeological records found in Egypt are giraffes and African Blackwood, neither of which are found outside Africa.

While the similarity of some words in languages of the ancient near/middle east and the far east is interesting, I would not take those similarities to indicate as close a relationship between the peoples of those regions as is implied in the OP.

One can also add the baboons from Punt that the Ancient Egyptians mummified, as well.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/history/baboon-mummy-analysis-reveals-eritrea-and-ethiopia-as-location-of-land-of-punt-1954547.html

cormac

200px-NC_Punt.jpg

For the case of mummified baboon i agreed i that it not from South East Asia, the supposed location for Punt as above image might be an ancient entreport which the imports from the Land of Punt ( SEA in my opinion) had been mixed with the products from the others parts of Africa.

When i saw the image there's one things come in my mind, this was the route (cinnamon route) that been used by the ancient egyptians to the land of Punt, this was also the route used by the ancient austronesian when the colonised the Madagascar. They just followed the ocean current in certain time in a year.

mapSpiceRoutes.GIF

Edited by mysteriousguy

I appreciate your desire to defend your hypothesis, mysteriousguy, but we should accept the ancient Egyptians were more familiar with Punt than we are. That being the case, we should also accept that their records, which indicate the animals and goods noted as being traded from Punt were actually from that land (not "picked up en route") are indicative of where Punt was.

Edited by Leonardo

Thanks Leonardo, i just want to broaden our horizon with this hypothesis. :yes:

Lingustic evidences maybe not so important unless together with archeological or scientific evidences. No one will believe that Madagascar people are from South East Asia before until Science proved it.

Thanks Leonardo, i just want to broaden our horizon with this hypothesis. :yes:

Lingustic evidences maybe not so important unless together with archeological or scientific evidences. No one will believe that Madagascar people are from South East Asia before until Science proved it.

I agree we should examine the totality of evidences before deducing a conclusion. What your hypothesis may be indicative of, is the transmission of language, via 'loan words', through ancient trading routes. While this transmission of loan words is known to happen, it would need to be shown to be the case for your hypothesis.

• Like 1

From the OP's link:

The colonization of Indonesia by the Ancient Egyptians is fully documented by Sir Thomas Raffles in his volume, The History of Java.

Link to the complete "documentation" provided by Raffles. It's the first two pages of Chapter X, if the link doesn't take you directly to the right page (sometimes happens with Google Books, as I recall.)

That's right! Only 2 pages, about half of it footnotes, to "fully document" that Java was originally settled by Egyptians back when all of Indonesia was still attached to the mainland!

I mean, is Raffles concise, or what? :whistle:

Harte