Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Fishermen see giant squid as 'omen' in Japan

UM-Bot

A rise in giant squid numbers along the Japanese coast has left fisherman feeling a bit nervous.

The discovery of a giant squid, one of the largest known sea creatures, is usually considered to be a rare occurrence, yet Japanese fisherman seem to be catching these denizens of the deep on a more and more frequent basis.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/263206/fishermen-see-giant-squid-as-omen-in-japan

• Like 1

Lol , i dont buy that explanation ! I also would believe in a bad omen ! Those squats living in depts that sunlight wont reach , it cant get any colder , well unless the entire depts is going to freeze ! I think its more likely that there isnt enuogh food for them to rise up to the surface ! But then i dont know what they eat .

Agreed, a large predator is probably territorial to some degree. Scarce prey is a more likely explanation. I'm sure it's got to 4C in that region before and none were caught then. There wasn't, however, a large radioactive patch hovering about until recently. Who knows what the effects are going to be? I think 'omen' is appropriate here.

Overfishing and pollution could be harming the abyssal zone, everything's gotta move down sometime, and those poor squids get all the trash, so why not rise up and take what the land lubbers have been taking?

• Like 1

Reminds me of the 1950s movies, monsters created because of nuclear waste. Attack of the Killer Tomatoes and such.

• Like 2

They're coming up to the surface to feast on the land denizens.

I would like to see one up close and alive though.

Considering what the Japanese have just put into their waters lately, this does not surprise me.

Bad omen? How do they think the squids felt?

Giant Squids. They should see it as good. You could eat/sell them, no? It seems to be more a profit than a bad omen.

It has to be radioactive, though.

• Like 1

Now that we're getting so many near the surface, let's take one alive and make a giant squid zoo!

I think it's an omen there will be lots of squid sushi available. Now where is the wasabi?

Not sure I totally get the colder weather idea, would be dependent on upwelling/down welling and current system in the area I guess. Probably has something to do with fewer fish and more fishermen/nets in the water. But we barely no anything about the species except that you know they have giant eyeballs.