Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Will Ukrainian Crisis Help Israel?

and-then

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/moment/2014/02/israel_s_natural_gas_deposits_tel_aviv_s_offshore_gas_fields_will_make_it.html

If Putin's adventure leads to an insurgency then Europe may need a more reliable supplier of natural gas ;)

I wonder how BDS will prosper under THOSE circumstances?

• Like 2

The EU was and is looking for alternatives to Russian gas, even before the current crisis, apparently.

"Russia is Europe's biggest supplier of natural gas, but the continent has been weaning itself off dependence on its neighbour for the last decade. It now imports less than 30% of its natural gas from Russia, compared with 45% in 2003, according to European Union statistics.

Europe is also less reliant on the Ukraine link, with improved gas infrastructure now meaning supplies could go via alternative routes in the event of disruption."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-26418664

• Like 1

The EU was and is looking for alternatives to Russian gas, even before the current crisis, apparently.

"Russia is Europe's biggest supplier of natural gas, but the continent has been weaning itself off dependence on its neighbour for the last decade. It now imports less than 30% of its natural gas from Russia, compared with 45% in 2003, according to European Union statistics.

Europe is also less reliant on the Ukraine link, with improved gas infrastructure now meaning supplies could go via alternative routes in the event of disruption."

http://www.bbc.co.uk...siness-26418664

Thanks for the link! I was unaware that the EU had taken steps but I guess they saw this coming eventually.
  • Like 1

It's even worse than I thought. :blink:

It's no damn surprise though.

http://www.aljazeera...4571416794.html

When Leviathan comes fully online these small ventures will probably be forgotten about. I agree that if a company drills on someone else's land or if the slant drill then they are stealing. I was actually speaking of the vast natural gas reserves offshore. No doubt everyone in the neighborhood will fight over who owns what. That's par for the course. But with this situation as all others, the world will call Israel evil because of their audacity of wanting to be like every other country. Nothing new here. But if someone tries to sabotage their wells then it will (and SHOULD) get ugly for everyone concerned.

What better nation to manage gas fields than progressive Israel..They have the will and financial backing and expertise to develop their own resources..

• Like 1

What better nation to manage gas fields than progressive Israel..They have the will and financial backing and expertise to develop their own resources..

And I expect them to aggressively protect their interests - just as ANY other nation would!

Welcome to UM!

"Progressive Israel" - LOL :tsu:

"Progressive Israel" - LOL :tsu:

Show me a single neighbor of theirs with as many Nobel prizes or patents. Yeah.. VERY progressive.

Show me a single neighbour of theirs with a secular, pluralistic, democratic system.

Show me a single neighbour of theirs that has equality for women.

Show me a single neighbour of theirs that has freedom of religious worship.

By the standards of the region, Israel is a socially progressive society. Hugely so.

When Leviathan comes fully online these small ventures will probably be forgotten about. I agree that if a company drills on someone else's land or if the slant drill then they are stealing. I was actually speaking of the vast natural gas reserves offshore. No doubt everyone in the neighborhood will fight over who owns what. That's par for the course. But with this situation as all others, the world will call Israel evil because of their audacity of wanting to be like every other country. Nothing new here. But if someone tries to sabotage their wells then it will (and SHOULD) get ugly for everyone concerned.

OMG dude

Show me a single neighbour of theirs with a secular, pluralistic, democratic system.

Show me a single neighbour of theirs that has equality for women.

Show me a single neighbour of theirs that has freedom of religious worship.

Then get out of their way and let them have it.

And what part of the widespread revolutions we've had in the Middle East did you not notice yet?

Bugger all this religious and ethnic rot! All we're doing is propping up dictators over oil interests. We're in bed with oppressive regimes. That is indefensible.

We need to move forward with our coal, natural gas, oil shale, nuclear and other forms of energy so we can be rid of these hypocritical blowback foreign policies.

• Like 2

Then get out of their way and let them have it.

And what part of the widespread revolutions we've had in the Middle East did you not notice yet?

Bugger all this religious and ethnic rot! All we're doing is propping up dictators over oil interests. We're in bed with oppressive regimes. That is indefensible.

We need to move forward with our coal, natural gas, oil shale, nuclear and other forms of energy so we can be rid of these hypocritical blowback foreign policies.

I think I'd wholeheartedly agree with most of that.

• Like 1