Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Teacher Tapes Kids Mouths Shut

Eldorado

'A teacher has been suspended following claims that tape was put over the mouths of several pupils.

Parents have told the BBC that a teacher at Danesfield School in Williton, Somerset, said the pupils were being too noisy.'

'"When the Sellotape started to come off she put more on. She got them to keep it on for the whole lesson."'

Full story: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-26431417

Perfectly understandable, in my opinion.

• Like 4

'A teacher has been suspended following claims that tape was put over the mouths of several pupils.

Parents have told the BBC that a teacher at Danesfield School in Williton, Somerset, said the pupils were being too noisy.'

'"When the Sellotape started to come off she put more on. She got them to keep it on for the whole lesson."'

Full story: http://www.bbc.co.uk...merset-26431417

Perfectly understandable, in my opinion.

It is understandable yes. Its about time teachers started standing up against the growing number of younger children unable to respect and listen to them. Maybe it would open some parents eyes about their kids behaviour.Sadly that is most likely not the way this will end.

• Like 5

Good! If the kids there are anything like the ones here, they are loud disrespectful brats & deserved it.

• Like 5

That is just what duct tape was made for...

I unliked this comment, just so I could like it again.
  • Like 4

While not condoning the method used, my sympathies lie with the teacher. Many parents are more preoccupied with earning enough to buy little Johnny/Jenny the latest iPad/iPhone, than ensuring their child grows up a well-rounded individual.

Edited by Leonardo
  • Like 4

A bit of tape over their mouths!!! How old are the mothers of these kids, do they not remember the CANE? Tape is nothing in comparison, the kids today are far too soft.

I remember having the chalk board rubber thrown at my head by my geography teacher, it missed.......my mum complained....because it missed!

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 5

I had a teacher that would repeatively say "Stop...Look...Listen...Learn" then we would fall in line.

• Like 1

If I ever got in trouble at school (my fault or not) I was REALLY in trouble at home...

• Like 2

Tomorrow a teacher in tottenham ties up several pupils, so they cannot text on mobile's and play on psp's

• Like 4

In my seventh/eighth grade classes, it's not unusual to hear R-rated language from the students. One girl referred to another student as a ******** right in my presence. I reprimand them, and can even punish them, but it doesn't change their behavior. They just laugh about it when they think I'm not listening.

• Like 3

I never liked my school life. There was a professor who is also the chairman of that school use to beat even adults. Because of him,i entirely hated that school.Now My sis is working as a teacher in an International school where beating Kids is like a crime. I should have studied in a school like that.My life got ruined.

Edited by SameerPrehistorica
  • Like 1

I must be getting soft in my old age but I think what that teacher did was wrong. It was bad enough in the days when I was in school, the boys would get the cane or slipper across the palm of their hands or backsides. I would think in this day and age taping the mouths up of kids to keep them quiet is a bit much. It might not sound too big a deal but I thought we were supposed to be living in modern times and past this kind of thing.

The article doesn't even say that the kids were being rude or mouthy, it just says the pupils were being too noisy. Teachers are supposed to set a good example, what kind of example is that? I'm not surprised the parents aren't happy about it.

• Like 3

If some teacher put tape over my daughter's mouth, I'd have a huge problem with that.

They have to be able to command respect without resorting to physical means....doesn't mean it's right and these kids don't need discipline, but that's not a teacher's place to put their hands on kids in any way.

If this teacher was really having enough of a problem that she felt she had to tape their mouths shut she could of went to the principal and asked for help.

I agree with Still Waters, it just sets a terrible example for kids. "I can't talk to you, so I'll just make you be quiet physically."

• Like 4

Nothing like a rude, noisy student sent to the principal's office and when the student comes home, their parents have a "long talk" on his or her misconduct in the classroom. Used to be parents stood with teachers when their child is out-of-line, today parents get angry at the teachers and defend their children. Discipline is a required reaction in the classroom, though I oppose the thought of my kids have their mouths shut by duct tape. If my oldest kid's teacher in 1st grade calls me or my wife regarding his behavior, that's fine...I'm gonna take care of him. If he gets detention, suspension or grounding, he's gonna have to learn from his actions.

• Like 2

I'm in 2 worlds about this. When my kids were kids I'd have probably been a bit ill about it, but they went to military schools, so things like this didn't happen.

Now I see how much children are coddled by their parents. I see it first hand in my 5 year old nephew and it's a bit unsettling. He always gets his way and the discipline just isn't there. His parents defend his bad actions too much and sometimes I wish his mouth was taped shut.

• Like 1

I don't condone the use of tape to quiet a student, nor any other outlandish treatment. However, the disrespect that students can show is very real. If I am teaching a lesson, I require my students to be quiet so that they can learn. If I call a parent about a noisy student, the usual result is a noisy, resentful student. I can't provide firm statistics, but I can tell you that disrespect is a common problem. We constantly look for ways to protect the learning environment, but if a student won't cooperate, then our hands are tied.

• Like 3

According to the local news report on this tonight the tape in question was sellotape - they must have improved its adhesive qualities

• Like 1

Can not understand what a bit of tape over their mouths could have done.....unless you tie their hands behind their backs too....surely the kids would have just ripped it off? Something sounds a bit not right here, any unruly child would not have been stopped by sellotape.

Sellotape today is very week, duck tape, now thats another zone altogether, but really sellotape? Itwould take a lot more than that to shut some of them up.

• Like 2

It is understandable yes. Its about time teachers started standing up against the growing number of younger children unable to respect and listen to them. Maybe it would open some parents eyes about their kids behaviour.Sadly that is most likely not the way this will end.

Good. If this happened the way it's been reported, the teacher shouldn't get any sympathy. It's wrong. It is not 'understandable'. There are plenty of other ways of controlling a class. If you can't do it without taping kids' mouths shut, go and find a job you can do.

In my seventh/eighth grade classes, it's not unusual to hear R-rated language from the students. One girl referred to another student as a ******** right in my presence. I reprimand them, and can even punish them, but it doesn't change their behavior. They just laugh about it when they think I'm not listening.

Then the school needs a better behaviour policy. Main focus should always be rewarding the ones who make the right choices rather than punishing the others anyway.

I would think in this day and age taping the mouths up of kids to keep them quiet is a bit much. It might not sound too big a deal but I thought we were supposed to be living in modern times and past this kind of thing.

Luckily, most of us are. I'll almost guarantee the teacher in question has either gone years without training and is out of touch or with only piecemeal on-the-job training.

• Like 2

Then the school needs a better behaviour policy. Main focus should always be rewarding the ones who make the right choices rather than punishing the others anyway.

If you have a program which rewards appropriate behavior and stems misbehavior, then I recommend you copyright it and publish it. However, I have serious doubts about the efficacy of a program which proposes that the onus of student behavior lies with the school. Students must be held accountable for their own behavior.

• Like 1

i'd like to say i'm shocked to see how many people on these forums think that abuse is a perfectly acceptable form of "discipline", but i'm not. not anymore.

• Like 4

i'd like to say i'm shocked to see how many people on these forums think that abuse is a perfectly acceptable form of "discipline", but i'm not. not anymore.

Six people? You think six people who were fine with it, out of thousands of members, is a lot?

• Like 1

This is wrong and the teacher shouldn't have done it, but...part of me laughed at this I'm sorry to say. My initial response is, "Big deal! My English teacher used to throw pencils and erasers at us for not paying attention." :w00t:

:lol:

• Like 1

Six people? You think six people who were fine with it, out of thousands of members, is a lot?

sorry, you're right. i was angry, because whenever a topic like this comes up, there are always a few people enthusiastically supporting it. but it's only a few, not most.

• Like 2