Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Astronaut recalls encounter with a UFO

Space veteran Leroy Chiao has recently opened up about an unusual sighting he had in space in 2005.

The pioneering astronaut had been the commander of the International Space Station during his stay there between October 2004 and April 2005. The UFO experience in question took place during a space walk with Russian cosmonaut Salizhan Sharipov.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...nter-with-a-ufo

• Like 3

This wouldn't be the first astronaut who some a UFO while in space. Apollo 11 saw something similar while in space.

Edited by Cygnus05

Astronauts and Pilots. Those individuals who spend a great deal of time in space or in the air. You want to see a tree you have to go to the forest.

• Like 4

Yay! My favorite kind sighting that proves a lot, the anecdote.

• Like 2

Swamp gas!

LOL!

• Like 2

You never know right, Those that see Know. Just saying anything is possible ! :alien::tu:

I believe the most compelling UFO sightings admitted publically by any astronaut were those by Gordon Cooper. He was one who admitted sighting foo fighters as well (pre-Roswell) but his admission of one landing and being filmed must be the best of all

• Like 1

No, it wasn't a UFO...it was probably Venus or yes, swamp gas. :D

• Like 1

So when did he first report this?

Seems strange that he was the only one who saw it....could it have been a reflection on his vizor? And how did he work out they were going at 17,000 miles an hour?

• Like 1

Meteors can light up at speed as they enter the atmosphere, and often as they break up they can cause several glowing lights to appear. Could it be that he saw this but from the unique and rarely ever seen viewpoint of above them looking down towards earth, rather than the usual below, looking up into the sky?

• Like 2

I love the "Swamp gas reflecting Uranus. " explanation personally ! :tu:

• Like 1

That's a nice story of a personal experience, it makes you consider. After all it comes from a astronaut on a space-walk, whatever it truly was. Rows of light in the sky have been reported here on Earth many times, could be a coincidence, a natural phenomenon (meteroite) or not. There is no way for us to validate or refute it as it stands right now.

Yay! My favorite kind sighting that proves a lot, the anecdote.

Surely you didn't expect that he could bring these UFOs back home? ;)

Edited by sam_comm
  • Like 3

Surely you didn't expect that he could bring these UFOs back home? ;)

He has access to a plethora high-tech equipment. None of it is portable? I'm just saying.

And in another version of the story, it states he saw boats

quote:

"I saw some lights that seemed to be in a line and it was almost like an upside-down check mark, and I saw them fly by and thought it was awfully strange," Chiao told The Huffington Post.

Despite his shock there was a rather mundane explanation for the lights - a fishing boat.

Chiao said: "One minor point is that it wasn't just one fishing boat, but a line of them strung out along the South American coast. That's why it looked like five lights from the ISS."

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/03/04/nasa-unexplained-files-_n_4894684.html

• Like 6

Seeder, no fair balloon-popping, they were having SUCH an exciting interlude.

:lol: They wont believe it anyway Jim, and some wont believe you either!! Im a paid govt dis-info merchant ! And the story has been watered down so the public wont panic :w00t:

Edited by seeder
  • Like 2

And how did he work out they were going at 17,000 miles an hour?

Thats the speed of the ISS...

He has access to a plethora high-tech equipment. None of it is portable? I'm just saying.

The thing is, every single gesture and movement of a space-walk is meticulously organized and particed, like a choregraphy, in long hours of pratices and theory, way before they are going to space. There is no room for taking this kind of risks which can lead to disaster.

For more on that, you should read: Chris Hadfield: An Astronaut Guide To Life it's very interesting.

@Seeder I don't see the contradiction here, he contacted the writter to clarify what he indeed saw, with regard to the theory of a fishing boat that skeptics have put forward. He saw a line of lights strung out at a considerable distance floating around and not just one boat with lights. That's what he said in the first place...

Astronaut Leroy Chiao contacted this writer to clarify the fishing boat theory about what he saw in 2005: "One minor point is that it wasn't just one fishing boat, but a line of them strung out along the South American coast. That's why it looked like five lights from the ISS."

Source: http://www.huffingto..._n_4880334.html

Edited by sam_comm

And I agree the Gordon Cooper stories are fascinating. Shouldn't somebody check them out, or is that too much bother? Edited by JimOberg
  • Like 4

The thing is, every single gesture and movement of a space-walk is meticulously organized and particed, like a choregraphy, in long hours of pratices and theory, way before they are going to space. There is no room for taking this kind of risks which can lead to disaster.

For more on that, you should read: Chris Hadfield: An Astronaut Guide To Life it's very interesting.

@Seeder I don't see the contradiction here, he contacted the writter to clarify what he indeed saw, with regard to the theory of a fishing boat that skeptics have put forward. He saw a line of lights strung out at a considerable distance floating around and not just one boat with lights. That's what he said in the first place...

Astronaut Leroy Chiao contacted this writer to clarify the fishing boat theory about what he saw in 2005: "One minor point is that it wasn't just one fishing boat, but a line of them strung out along the South American coast. That's why it looked like five lights from the ISS."

Source: http://www.huffingto..._n_4880334.html

From Jims link (its all there for those that read, many dont bother)

Satellite imagery shows the lights of squid fishing boats off the coast of South America — lights that most likely piqued the interest of astronaut Leroy Chiao during a recent spacewalk at the international space station.

chiao-eva-ufo-collage.grid-6x2.jpg

eta source and Bigger pic

http://www.nbcnews.c...9/#.UxYUs84f7XR

Edited by seeder
  • Like 3

Another CT shot down. Oh well, the internet giveth and the internet taketh away. :yes:

• Like 4

Where are the Zoserians proclaiming this is irrefutable proof of ETH? Where are they hiding? Have they given up so easy a subject as an Astronaut seeing a UFO (which, of course, translates to "alien craft.") They all know that the "fishing boat" explanation is just another government cover up. The CTists are missing that one. Have they all gone soft or are they pursuing other game like the alien technology that pops up the next tissue?

• Like 4

Where are the Zoserians proclaiming this is irrefutable proof of ETH? Where are they hiding? Have they given up so easy a subject as an Astronaut seeing a UFO (which, of course, translates to "alien craft.") They all know that the "fishing boat" explanation is just another government cover up. The CTists are missing that one. Have they all gone soft or are they pursuing other game like the alien technology that pops up the next tissue?

:lol:

As Jim mentioned, I/we shouldn't have debunked it so quick. I must learn to sit back and let a thread fill up with FTB's before taking part! In fact I will do from now

• Like 2

Glad to see UFOs back on the site but this one seems more like an excuse for the author to post the youtube video rather than report an astronaut's story. "I saw strange lights while orbiting earth" hardly seems like compelling evidence.

Edited by Calibeliever
  • Like 2