Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Astronaut recalls encounter with a UFO

Considering they are moving at 17,000 mph, a stationary object would appear to be moving that fast. Also, there is not really the concept of up and down so it is very easy to become disoriented. It is probably as Seeder pointed out, a mundane story that was taken out of context.

• Like 1

This wouldn't be the first astronaut who some a UFO while in space. Apollo 11 saw something similar while in space.

So? There is a lot of debris up there, some of it man-made. I would be surprised if they saw nothing at all.

• Like 1

And I agree the Gordon Cooper stories are fascinating. Shouldn't somebody check them out, or is that too much bother?

With all due respect to Cooper and his contributions, not unlike John Lear, he does seem a little nutty.

Many astronauts in their later years have come forward with this information. You cant just live and die, and take it into your grave without going public on this, I understand these people fully.

Edited by SolarPlexus
  • Like 1

I think being an astronauts comes with a need to preserve your credibility, but what's the harm in saying they saw something they cannot explain? It's not like they're saying their for or against extraterrestrial lifeforms in our solar system or not, just stating the facts pertaining to what they witnessed.

• Like 2

Many astronauts in their later years have come forward with this information. You cant just live and die, and take it into your grave without going public on this, I understand these people fully.

I know of Cooper's stories about events BEFORE he became and astronaut. But who are you referring to who waited until years later to first disclose an unexplainable experience while on a space mission?

• Like 1

I think being an astronauts comes with a need to preserve your credibility, but what's the harm in saying they saw something they cannot explain? It's not like they're saying their for or against extraterrestrial lifeforms in our solar system or not, just stating the facts pertaining to what they witnessed.

Why do you think they haven't? Story Musgrave loves to replay his 'space snakes' yarn, but he's explicit he's never encountered -- or heard of any of his friends encounter -- signs of aliens. Ed Mitchell agrees, during Gemini and Apollo he never heard of any astronaut having a UFO encounter in space. That's a pretty on-the-scene expert report.

• Like 2

Nondescript lights could be any number of things. The fact that the witness was the only one to see the lights suggest to me that perhaps he witnessed the common phenomena of super charged particles penetrating through his eye or close to it. I thought this was widely known fact, why are people still pretending it's anything else? If aliens truly had visited us they'd either leave us something that clearly denoted their presence or the exact opposite. I'm sure a species capable of space travel, most likely interstellar, would know not to switch their lights on when in sight of the ISS...or am I the crazy one here?

• Like 1

And none of it really means anything other than there is a lot of stuff floating around out there. There is very little to prepare a person for trip through space. People are simply not used to seeing over such vast distances nor are they accustomed to the speed required to maintain orbit. Our vision is tuned and accustomed to the distances we can see on the ground. At sea level the horizon is only about 35 miles away. Compared with space where you can see for thousands of miles in any one direction. Also, those stories have been embellished as this one has. So be careful what you put in your head.

Edited by sinewave
  • Like 2

Nice pic...

Why do you think they haven't? Story Musgrave loves to replay his 'space snakes' yarn, but he's explicit he's never encountered -- or heard of any of his friends encounter -- signs of aliens. Ed Mitchell agrees, during Gemini and Apollo he never heard of any astronaut having a UFO encounter in space. That's a pretty on-the-scene expert report.

not worth it ...

shill_alert_op4w.jpg

Idiot warning alerts

Edited by seeder
  • Like 1

not worth it ...

So , where is your evidence to the contrary? Other than a boat-load of stories that have been retold a million times and an thriving industry that feeds on the belief, what do you have? Jim Oberg is not a shill.

Edited by sinewave
  • Like 2

So , where is your evidence to the contrary? Other than a boat-load of stories that have been retold a million times and an thriving industry that feeds on the belief, what do you have? Jim Oberg is not a shill.

he cant compete sinewave. Simple as

• Like 2

Where are the Zoserians proclaiming this is irrefutable proof of ETH? Where are they hiding? Have they given up so easy a subject as an Astronaut seeing a UFO (which, of course, translates to "alien craft.") They all know that the "fishing boat" explanation is just another government cover up. The CTists are missing that one. Have they all gone soft or are they pursuing other game like the alien technology that pops up the next tissue?

Ask and you shall receive, from page one:

This wouldn't be the first astronaut who some a UFO while in space. Apollo 11 saw something similar while in space.

Astronauts and Pilots. Those individuals who spend a great deal of time in space or in the air. You want to see a tree you have to go to the forest.

No, it wasn't a UFO...it was probably Venus or yes, swamp gas. :D

• Like 2

LOL, I don't think you do understand them at all. I think you like to think they support your personal ideals and wishes.

Before we went to space, quite often older people just had to tell others about their conversations with God too. The common denominator is man, not ET.

• Like 2

Let me stir it with a stick. Here's some interesting reading. Enjoy !

http://www.ufo-blogg...anding-and.html

Not stirring that much, you do realise that our very own Jim Oberg actually knows Christopher Kraft, the "expert" who allegedly made that claim? It's BS.

Try this one on - the Apollo 11 UFO following them to the moon. The bloody science channel outright lied and made that up, and Buzz asked the correct it, but they refused because the lie makes a more compelling show, and would likely add to ratings.

These are the people believer's "trust"

LINK - the apollo 11 UFO, and Buzz Aldrin.

To get the story straight, I called Buzz Aldrin, who was happy to explain what happened. He said that his remarks were taken out of context to reverse his meaning. It is true that the Apollo 11 crew spotted an unidentified object moving with the spacecraft as they approached the Moon. After they verified that this mystery object was not Apollo 11’s large rocket upper stage, which was about 6,000 miles away by then, they concluded that they were seeing one of the small panels that had linked the spacecraft to the upper stage (any part of the spacecraft’s rocket upper stage will continue to move alongside the spacecraft, as both are floating in free-fall). These panels were too small to track from Earth and were relatively close to the Apollo spacecraft. Aldrin told me that they chose not to discuss this on the open communications channel since they were concerned that their comments might be misinterpreted. His entire explanation about identifying the panels was cut from the broadcast interview, giving the impression that the Apollo 11 crew had seen a UFO. Aldrin told me that he was angry about the deceptive editing and asked the Science Channel to correct the intentional twisting of his remarks, but they refused. Later, Aldrin explained what happened on CNN’s Larry King Live (left, bottom) but was nearly cut off by the host before he could finish.

With the popularity of YouTube, this same question is addressed to me repeatedly, as in: “Check out this video on YouTube with Buzz Aldrin saying he saw a UFO on Apollo 11. Who is fibbing? NASA or the great American hero, Buzz Aldrin?” My answer was that the fibbing was being done by the producers of the video, who omitted the second half of the interview.

It is instructive to watch this interview to see the ways the story is embellished and ultimately manipulated. Most of the talking is done by the interviewer and not Aldrin, but their comments have been edited to create the illusion of a seamless narrative. Throughout the interview we see a montage of short scenes from Apollo and other missions, including a blurry image through the window taken during a later flight. Only a critical viewer will distinguish what Aldrin said from the narrative by the interviewer or realize that the video clips are unrelated. The end product is clever disinformation, strongly suggesting—without explicitly lying—that Aldrin and his crewmates saw an alien spacecraft.

Many Internet claims of encounters between NASA astronauts and alien spacecraft are based on quotes from “secret communications” between flight crews and Houston. It is true that there are such private conversations, concerning crew health for example. But the Internet stories of overheard conversations are never documented and often attributed to leaks from unnamed NASA workers whose jobs (or even lives) would allegedly be at risk if they were identified. Many of these stories involve the Apollo 11 flight, and they include claims that alien spaceships accompanied the NASA craft during its Moon landing and that a row of alien spacecraft along a crater rim monitored the astronauts’ spacewalk on the lunar surface. (Incidentally, Apollo 11 landed on a flat plain where there were no hills or crater rims to provide such a viewpoint.)

• Like 3

not worth it ...

Not worth getting direct quote via Jim from Stony Musgrave himself to actually find out the truth?

Not worth ruining the fantasy do you mean?

• Like 1

he cant compete sinewave. Simple as

LOL, doesn't it get their backs up!!! They come up with these long winded tall tales, expect people to believe them, and then have the GALL to get upset at not being able to compete with a genuine rocket scientist!! What does an anonymous FTB on a forum who has done little more than envelop himself in woo think he is capable of? Telling a rocket scientist about space? And then they hypocritically try to use Astronauts Like Ed Mitchell as an appeal to authority, when although space travel is a magnificent feat, people like Jim put them there in the first instance!!

Talk about thinking backwards!!

Personally, I find it an honor to converse with Jim, and am ecstatic that he gives us his time for free. He did the hard yards to be called "A Rocket Scientist". Personally, I think that makes him a fantastic, generous and great human being. He is about as good as people get. I just cannot fathom how people do not respect that, and feel more accomplished.

Had I only conversed with Jim by word, I would have thought he was an Aussie for sure. :D

• Like 4

obviously not to scale..

SNAP!!!

LOL, I was thinking the same thing! some of those bits would be hundred of kilometers long wouldn't they?

I have a great recipe for chilli. Anybody want it? :w00t:

• Like 1