Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

can animals be possessed by demonic forces?

Hi everybody, im new to the forum but have been an avid follower of this site and all things paranormal for many many years,

Ive been pondering the idea of demonic possession for a while now, and through my research and investigation I have come to the conclusion that a very small percentage of supposed possessions are genuine cases! Undiagnosed mental illnesses seem to account for the vast majority, but there are a few that defy and escape even the most brilliant physicians today, now im a logical person and I realise that the small percentage of "real" cases may still be a yet to be discoverd illness, but lets for the sake of the argument say that a real demon has subdued there souls and taken over there bodys!

Now there are various cases of animal demonic possession, anyone can google this and look for themselfs, there are loads of examples of peoples pets turning on them and of wild animals rampaging through villages and towns, I even found one story about a horse who had an infliction for knocking down headstones in graveyards, now again we can assume that illness, miss treatment, and disease like rabies and distemper is the cause for most of these cases! BUT there are again the few that defy modern veterinary practice and all logic!

So again for the sake of the argument lets say demon's are capable of taking over the bodys of animals! So from that diagnosis can we assume an animal has a soul???

And what exactly are the demon's trying to gain from the possession of an animal!

Or even a human for that matter!

If the devil really wanted to make a display why not possess a famous figure live on tv? Why not possess one of the queens corgie dogs,

So even as im writing this im starting to question if it is an actual real thing, or is it a damaged mind trying to make sense of the world, is it a phobia combined with some sort of severe OCD

I feel like I have rambled on abit here with no real point or question, but I like to put suggestions and thoughts out there and see what others have to say on the matter,

Welcome to UM! 6.6.6

I think you are correct that most supposed cases of possession are mental illness. I believe in demonic possession because the bible speaks of it regularly. However I do not think the bible ever actually defines what a demon IS. They are not fallen angels. Some think they are the spirits of the nephilim who have died. As such they are immortal but can not enter the heavenly realm since they were created by acts of rebellion (angels/human offspring) so they search for other human bodies to wear like we would a suit. I think humans MUST allow this initially though because these creatures do not have the power to force themselves onto someone who does not invite them in by the use of drugs or actually inviting them consciously - not knowing them for what they actually are, of course. So while I'm not aware of any recorded instance of non human animals being possessed, I don't see why it could not happen.

• Like 3

i don't believe they can because i don't believe there are so called demonic forces out there to possess anyone or anything. i believe all cases are either mental illness or brain damage.

• Like 4

No I don't....it's an absurd notion. I agree with everything that Jgirl expressed.

• Like 2

I was also considering the possibility that so called demonic possession may be something along the lines of being trapped in a night terror/ sleep paralysis type thing, a sort of coma where subconscious takes over,

No I don't....it's an absurd notion. I agree with everything that Jgirl expressed.

May I just ask out of curiosity, are you religious at all? Do you think we have such a thing as a soul?

May I just ask out of curiosity, are you religious at all? Do you think we have such a thing as a soul?

You are asking the wrong person. I don't get into heavy religious topics........ask the bible bashers that come to your door instead.

to 6.6.6.

i believe we are eternal, in that we survive our bodies - if you want to call that a soul, ok.

but what does that have to do with demons?

• Like 2

You are asking the wrong person. I don't get into heavy religious topics........ask the bible bashers that come to your door instead.

Bible bashers?

Do you mean thumpers?

• Like 1

to 6.6.6.

i believe we are eternal, in that we survive our bodies - if you want to call that a soul, ok.

but what does that have to do with demons?

Well I can only assume that in order to be taken over by a demonic force one must have to have a soul that can be pushed out/over powered so the demon can get in!

But im not entirely sure I believe in it all! Im just going through the thought process trying to make sense of it, its good to hear others opinions on it,

• Like 1

One day i woke up and accidentaly step on my dogs tail. He was some 7 month old in that time and his big eyes would turn full black when he would get angry or focused on something.

When he looked at me, jsut after i step on his tail, i was thinking ' damn its a demon ' and felt some weird fear, i felt unsafe, and dog was like looking tru me, like i was not there.

It was, luckily, just my imagination but damn, havent been scared since 1990s and it was nice experience that proove to me that most of those 'possesion stuff' comes from our minds.

One day i woke up and accidentaly step on my dogs tail. He was some 7 month old in that time and his big eyes would turn full black when he would get angry or focused on something.

When he looked at me, jsut after i step on his tail, i was thinking ' damn its a demon ' and felt some weird fear, i felt unsafe, and dog was like looking tru me, like i was not there.

It was, luckily, just my imagination but damn, havent been scared since 1990s and it was nice experience that proove to me that most of those 'possesion stuff' comes from our minds.

Yeah I quite agree! Our minds are responsible for many paranormal experience

Bible bashers?

Do you mean thumpers?

I would imagine that they mean the same thing.

I would imagine that they mean the same thing.

I see bashing as ridicule, or scrutiny.

I see thumping as praise, or pointing out authoritive attributes.

I guess you mean thumping because I do not see people knocking on doors to talk about how the Bible sucks, and false.

• Like 2

Where I come from, they are referred to as bible bashers (Bashers meaning : that they preach their beliefs onto others) We are all entitled to our own religious beliefs.

I don't tolerate anybody pushing their views onto me concerning religion.

• Like 3

Where I come from, they are referred to as bible bashers (Bashers meaning : that they preach their beliefs onto others) We are all entitled to our own religious beliefs.

i feel the same way. i keep a sign on the door.
  • Like 3

Nobody is pushing anything onto you! Its mealy a discussion, no need to get aggravated or defensive!

• Like 2

Nobody is pushing anything onto you! Its mealy a discussion, no need to get aggravated or defensive!

i don't think she was referring to the question posed in this thread, i think she was more referring to people in society in general pushing their own religious (religion's) rules and ideals onto others Edited by JGirl
  • Like 4

i don't think she was referring to the question posed in this thread, i think she was more referring to people in society in general pushing their own religious (religion's) rules and ideals onto others

Ah I see, sorry,

Umm! excuse me? I am not discussing anything here. I was simply responding to another poster.

No defensiveness here at all.

Welcome.

Here's the deal.

If my dog walks on the ceiling and snarls at me, put me down as a believer in possession.

Crapping on my floor is just her way of saying "i enjoy the fact that you have to clean up my doodie."

• Like 3

6.6.6, here's an opinion. The word "possession" is inaccurate. A demon can influence or control a person, but cannot displace the person's soul. As for animals, there is a Biblical reference of pigs being controlled.

To even buy into the premise of the question, one has to show that demons, souls, and possession exists.

Nobody has ever been able to do that.

• Like 4

Ok, ive mulled this over and came up with my own conclusion/opinion, there is no such thing as a demonic force being able to control or influence anybody or anything, the whole thing is a misinterpretation of an as yet to be discoverd mental illness,

And its has been forced upon us by cults and religions to try and give some form of evidence for there certain belief's,

"If you can prove the devil then by contrast god must exist too" kind of thing

Edited by 6.6.6