Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Iron Man-like suit to enable deep sea diving

UM-Bot

Scientists have developed a powered exosuit to help divers explore the ocean's darkest depths.

It is often said that the bottom of the sea is the last great unexplored region of our planet, an environment that is as misunderstood and mysterious as it is cold, dark and perilously difficult to get to.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...deep-sea-diving

• Like 1

"It is often said that the bottom of the sea is the last great unexplored region of our planet"

..........The Amazon Rainforest and the Forests of the Pacific Northwest would like to say hi.

Edited by MysteryMike
  • Like 1

Gonna have to be pretty brave to get in that thing and sink into the deeps, but hey SCIENCE.

• Like 1

I read the article and dang, that's amazing.

Or should I more correctly suggest... It's about time.

• Like 1

They have come along way since Jacque Cousteau, but you really can't beat the Calypso and the great man himself.

• Like 2

That's cool. Up to 50 hours of life support. No decrompression time. Awesome. Like a submarine you wear.

• Like 2

They can go to the bottom but can they return to the top?

Yes, and there is a support mini-sub that will follow him down and up, not just for collecting the findings from the diver and a tethered data link, but for emergencies as well. Still, it's not 100% fool-proof, so something bad could happen.

Though unlikely to be serious at that intended depth.

It takes hours to descend, can you imagine just sinking in that for hours. It's a little different from explores they normally use, I mean it is human shaped. It is really interesting though, think of all the new samples, data, and discoveries that will come from this.

It takes hours to descend, can you imagine just sinking in that for hours. It's a little different from explores they normally use, I mean it is human shaped. It is really interesting though, think of all the new samples, data, and discoveries that will come from this.

"Lombardi will descend at a rate of about 30 meters per minute until he reaches his target depth 10 minutes later. This dive will take place at night, when fish living in the deep ocean do their daily vertical migration to the mid-ocean, or mesopelagic zone, about 300 meters deep. A robotic submarine called the DeepReef-ROV will accompany Lombardi, supplying lights, cameras and other equipment."

Source: http://www.scientifi...loration-video/

Edited by pallidin

I'm not sure what the deal is, they've had suits like this for years now. I've wondered why we haven't seen more of them.

I'm not sure what the deal is, they've had suits like this for years now. I've wondered why we haven't seen more of them.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. The Newt suit has been around for quite some time and is certified to 300 metres.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. The Newt suit has been around for quite some time and is certified to 300 metres.

I don't recall what the depth rating was on the older suits, but as I recall they could go pretty deep. Deeper than a human could go with doing hours of decompression time.

As I vaguely recall thirty minutes bottom time equalled something like four or five hours decompression time or you'd get the Benz's. Nitrogen narcosis sucks it say the least. With this you can descend, do what you need to do a then simply surface when you're done.