Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Boggy Creek Monster

Rafterman

This week Skeptoid returns to the crypto-word to take a look that disco-era favorite, The Boggy Creek Monster.

But be warned, there's not much there, there.

Podcast and transcript at the following link:

http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4404

The Boggy Creek Monster

Is Arkansas' Fouke Monster a real zoological specimen, or an important part of local folklore?

So in total, every last shred of evidence that the Fouke Monster exists at all is anecdotal. Not a single piece is testable. The Fouke Monster fits very poorly with the model of a living animal, but fits very well with a local legend. The tale of the hairy wild man is a familiar one in nearly every culture, and the Fouke Monster of Boggy Creek fills that role in southwestern Arkansas. It serves us not as mere zoological fact, but as important oral tradition that enriches our culture. So to enjoy the Fouke Monster, don't search for footprints; instead take a guitar and an old slouch hat, and have a ride in Travis Crabtree's canoe.

post-106978-0-82063100-1394032498_thumb.

• Like 1

Thats a shame I was most convinced by the film in the 70s when I was about 8 years old!

• Like 1

Thats a shame I was most convinced by the film in the 70s when I was about 8 years old!

I remember it scaring the bejesus out of me. There's was also a Bigfoot one about them throwing boulders down on some cabin that gave me nightmares too.

• Like 1

the boggy creek monster, the flatwoods monster, whats next?? the ljubljana monster??

Scary so long ago. It lost a lot in more recent viewings. However, still a classic, imo. The movie "sums up" how I feel about bigfoot across the U.S... as the skeptoid blurb did above:

It serves us not as mere zoological fact, but as important oral tradition that enriches our culture. So to enjoy the Fouke Monster, don't search for footprints; instead take a guitar and an old slouch hat, and have a ride in Travis Crabtree's canoe

Never saw Boggy Creek II

Edited by QuiteContrary

I think it was called "Return to Boggy Creek". In this one they were doing a straight up scary movie, it's only bright spot was it had Dawn Wells in it, and what's her name........Plato(?)......the girl from "Di*****nt Strokes".

I'd have watched it just to see Dawn Wells, but that's me.

Dawn Wells was hot ...my answer to the Mary-ann .vs Ginger debate was always " both " ..

I

Different Strokes

Was wondering why that was edited above. Clearly you typed something else.

Edited by Rafterman
  • Like 1

This makes me want to go watch the movies, just to see them.

The Legend of Boggy Creek!!! I watched it in the seventies too..

Although I live in the UK it still set off our imagination as children & one of my cousins swore he saw it running across the fields at my aunties wedding! Naturally we all legged it back to the venue..

Looked it up on youtube last year & wow!! what a blast! It blew my socks off.. lol

Watched a few documentaries on Bigfoot back then too & in my opinion there's nothing wrong with fuelling the youngsters imagination at all.. I mean, it's harmless fun, isn't it?

• Like 1

Different Strokes

Was wondering why that was edited above. Clearly you typed something else.

As I recalled they spelled it diife'nt or something like that but it's been a long time. The autoeditor must have thought I was doing something naughty or non-pc.

Dawn Wells was hot ...my answer to the Mary-ann .vs Ginger debate was always " both " ..

I

Tina Louis was hot but if the choice came down to one or the other it was Dawn Wells, hands on.....uhm......down, hands down. Yeah, that's it.

• Like 1

I always liked Ginger better personally.

You guys are all whacked. We all know who was truly babelicious on that island. There's a reason her name was Lovey if you know what I mean.

post-106978-0-43419900-1394126899_thumb.

I liked the Professor. Intelligence and awkwardness with women are a cute combination :wub: , imo.

Never liked the show much. There are just some ensembles that rub me the wrong way- Cheers, Gilligan's Island, Happy Days, the Waltons...

Seems like every swamp has its own "monster" or something like it. Seems that lots of mountains also have legends of "odd life forms". Some paranormal, others more concrete that don't fit the criteria of anything 'paranormal". Somethings are just there that defy explaination.

• Like 1

That's true, could be there are more Bigfoot or could be more BS.

I think it was called "Return to Boggy Creek". In this one they were doing a straight up scary movie, it's only bright spot was it had Dawn Wells in it, and what's her name........Plato(?)......the girl from "Di*****nt Strokes".

I'd have watched it just to see Dawn Wells, but that's me.

Like watching Renae on Finding Bigfoot. ;)

• Like 1

Any relation to the Honey Island Swamp Beast? ^_^

From it's aggressive actions it sounds more like a skunk ape than a Bigfoot ...so probably. ..I.m.o. everyone seems to talk of bigfeet like they are peacefull hippie monsters

Dana Plato. Her's is a tragic tale, is it not? :(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dana_Plato

Sorry for veering off-topic, folks.

Sadly, she was a very tragic story.

• Like 2

i was surprised when i learned that the boggy creek monster was an actual thing (an actual non-actual thing? whatever.) i'd only ever heard of it from the episode of mst3k before.

great episode, though.

• Like 1

So Dana Plato is the Boggy Creek monster. .who some folks think is a Bigfoot ..that explains a lot. ...I always suspected Gary Colman might be a chupacabra .

The whole show was a front for a criptid.invasion. set in place by the.cast.of.sigmand and the.seamonster's ....I knew it...

I know conspiracy at every place you turn.