Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Still Waters

We're always inhaling one thing or another. How far would you like to go?

Perfect.

E-cigs are big business here (Calgary). I have friends who are making pretty decent money selling the devices and the juices. There are tons of good flavors like bubblegum, marshmellow, cappucino, etc. The nicotine levels can be adjusted depending on which company you buy from which makes this such a fantastic product for quitting smoking. I know several people personally who have quit smoking by slowly dialing back the nicotine in an e-cig.

It's just vapor lol

• Like 1

E-cigs should have the same restrictions as normal cigarettes. I personally think they're worse in public since they're odorless and you can't smell it when you're inhaling some second-hand vapor.

You have to be kidding me. Are you going to restrict the semi driving by because you can smell his diesel exhaust?

This...ladies and gentlemen...is a thing that absolutely enrages me...completely out of touch with reality and thinking they are entitled to inflict their will on those around them...

Why not wrap your lips around your Prius tailpipe and see just how healthy that is...

Edited by Jeremiah65
  • Like 2

Just a thought, when people are using these e-cigarettes does the nicotine get into the surrounding air and affect bystanders? If so, perhaps this is the reason they're being banned? If not, then I have no idea why they aren't acceptable. Anyone know?

you can have the opportunity to choose ! e cigaret with nicotine and e cigaret without it ! they all comes with a taste ( cola,real smoke taste , fruits and name it ) ! it doesn't have any effect for bystanders as far as we know !scientist are still researching the effect of the e cigs, i have read somewhere that only 10 % orso of the people that are smoking it have physical complaints ( throats,cough). but not life threatening.

i can only think of 1 reason that it is banned ! money, money and money , e cigs are like 100 x cheaper then real cigs ! and its not addicting,

i can't think of any other reason ! its just stupid to ban it. !

We're always inhaling one thing or another. How far would you like to go?

If you're exhaling toxic/addictive fumes, then you shouldn't be doing it in public.

You have to be kidding me. Are you going to restrict the semi driving by because you can smell his diesel exhaust?

This...ladies and gentlemen...is a thing that absolutely enrages me...completely out of touch with reality and thinking they are entitled to inflict their will on those around them...

Why not wrap your lips around your Prius tailpipe and see just how healthy that is...

I'm generally pretty libertarian on most things, but having inhaled secondhand smoke my whole life, I have very strong dislike for those who feel the need to make others do so in public. If you feel the need to smoke, do it in a non-crowded area, smoke-specific locations or your own home.

• Like 1

^You just proved Jeremiah65 point, Wickian. Your hatred of tobacco is driving your thoughts; 'it looks like a cigarette therefore it must be like a cigarette therefore I am against it and must be active to stop it and them that enjoy it feelings be dammed!'

• Like 1

I'm generally pretty libertarian on most things, but having inhaled secondhand smoke my whole life, I have very strong dislike for those who feel the need to make others do so in public. If you feel the need to smoke, do it in a non-crowded area, smoke-specific locations or your own home.

Shouldn't that be up to the property owner? I think restaurant owners keeping it a matter of restaurant policy is appropriate here. Same principle with your house.

• Like 1

Shouldn't that be up to the property owner? I think restaurant owners keeping it a matter of restaurant policy is appropriate here. Same principle with your house.

If the property owner says, "It's alright to smoke here." then I consider that to be smoke specific location.

If the property owner says, "It's alright to smoke here." then I consider that to be smoke specific location.

So you actually disagree with the Los Angeles ban. Cool.

For one I don't feel like it's right for us to ban anything on assumption. bans name no difference regardless of taste,smell,dangerous or not. The only thing that makes me upset is how stripped away we are as a person... No an individual to say what's right or wrong.. If e cigs are dangerous then they are but can you accuse someone of danger when more than 90 percent of you drink alcohol or other sad things? I'm sorry but it's terrible to believe your better than most when you show no facts on the topic

So you actually disagree with the Los Angeles ban. Cool.

As long as people aren't smoking on the curb outside of a business on a public sidewalk, then yeah, go for it.

Anything or any business that doesn't provide essential services shouldn't be subject to government regulations to things like this. In the case of the L.A. ban, I would simply choose not to visit any place that routinely has smokers smoking up the place.

However places and businesses that do provide essential services should have strict health regulations.

Oh well.....we are all a bunch of liberty hating Nazi's then....

The idea of freedom is a thing that you think should be mutable..."I don't like that so no one can do it"....

I hate that kind of thinking....I believe in real freedom...even when I disagree with it. You are free to do whatever you want... I am free to ignore you, move away or even punch you in the nose....

Oh well.....we are all a bunch of liberty hating Nazi's then....

The idea of freedom is a thing that you think should be mutable..."I don't like that so no one can do it"....

I hate that kind of thinking....I believe in real freedom...even when I disagree with it. You are free to do whatever you want... I am free to ignore you, move away or even punch you in the nose....

"Your rights end where my feelings begin!"

• Like 1

As long as people aren't smoking on the curb outside of a business on a public sidewalk, then yeah, go for it.

Anything or any business that doesn't provide essential services shouldn't be subject to government regulations to things like this. In the case of the L.A. ban, I would simply choose not to visit any place that routinely has smokers smoking up the place.

However places and businesses that do provide essential services should have strict health regulations.

So like super-clean bathrooms too? No germs on the door-handles, right? Those automatic doors would take care of that; those are cheap. People shouldn't have to ingest things that are bad for their health, like harmful germs OR harmless vapors. We're gonna call the bathroom police now and get "strict" about all this? Where you gonna get the money for that now?

Your decision on your own behavior in light of the ban doesn't make any sense. It's no longer about what you think, it's about what the bureaucrats in LA think. You're not choosing not to visit smoky places; that choice is being made for you. That's what a ban is, sir.

I guess the big tobacco companies are afraid people will actually quit smoking using these. Many people do.

I use one and that vapor dissipates within a few inches from you face. No second hand smoke because it isn't smoke so I don't understand the ban expect big tobacco wants it.

• Like 3

My brother uses one of these and it actually smells good.

NO it doesn't! It smells like feet! Trust me, I live with it every day! LOL. Hey, we're moving in mid-April... let us know if you see any good places for rent in your area!

As for California banning ecigs, Seattle did that a long time ago, can't use them anywhere you can't use cigarettes. It's stupid. We do go to a handful of clubs that ignore the laws though which is nice.

That's an awesome question. In 2009 they were all supposedly synthetic. Although Nicotine is naturally present in many plants, tobacco would be by far the most efficient way to extract it. Since then tobacco companies have gotten, for better or worse, invested in the e-cigarette market more and more in recent years and it's gotten to the point where bans are happening despite the differences with smoking. Los Angeles just imposed a ban hours ago.

Where do you get your information? The nicotine that's ecigs is not synthetic from what I have learned from people who make the liquids. They buy pure nicotine and add it to the solutions. The nicotine is extracted largely from tobacco, although there are other sources of nicotine out there, but it's not cost effective enough to extract it from those plants (like tomatoes).

I have used an ecig for well over 2 years. Mine doesn't even have nicotine in it. It hasn't for over a year. I accidentally bought 0mg solution and didn't notice for weeks. Once I did notice, I didn't bother going back.

• Like 1

I don't know much about the E-Ciggies except that the nicotine is delivered via vapor instead of burning stuff; supposedly it is "safer" than regular cigarettes because of that.

I guess if one is that addicted that they need to have their fix of nicotine while eating then I guess it is a better option than lighting up and filling the air with awful smelling smoke. I have, however, seen people using the E-cigs and I have to say they look just as ridiculous, if not more so, because many of these units are pretty big, respectively. It's like a compact hookah or something.

I have seen attractive looking people (both genders) totally screwing up their appearance by cramming one of these glorified pacifiers into their gob, taking in a long drag then spewing the stuff out like a geyser who is about to blow.

I am, however, glad, that most restaurants are smoke free as it always made me choke.

I don't know much about the E-Ciggies except that the nicotine is delivered via vapor instead of burning stuff; supposedly it is "safer" than regular cigarettes because of that.

I guess if one is that addicted that they need to have their fix of nicotine while eating then I guess it is a better option than lighting up and filling the air with awful smelling smoke. I have, however, seen people using the E-cigs and I have to say they look just as ridiculous, if not more so, because many of these units are pretty big, respectively. It's like a compact hookah or something.

I have seen attractive looking people (both genders) totally screwing up their appearance by cramming one of these glorified pacifiers into their gob, taking in a long drag then spewing the stuff out like a geyser who is about to blow.

I am, however, glad, that most restaurants are smoke free as it always made me choke.

Some of them are huge. No question about that. They are kind of ridiculous, but they work extremely well. Mine are in total about 75mm long, and about 8mm in diameter. In other words, definitely small enough to conceal in my palm, but not quite as small as a cigarette or one of the cigarette look-a-likes on the market. Yes, I hold it differently than a cigarette. Truthfully, so many people are using the ecigs now where I live, that no one looks twice at someone using them.

I have measured and proven better health since switching. When I first started using them, I was on a path to COPD, a stroke or a heart attack. One year to the day later, I had perfect heart rate, perfect blood pressure, and perfect cholesterol. I'm healthier now at 47 than I was when I was 18. With measured results like that, I can't believe they're bad. I've been using them for over 2 years now.

• Like 2

I have measured and proven better health since switching. When I first started using them, I was on a path to COPD, a stroke or a heart attack. One year to the day later, I had perfect heart rate, perfect blood pressure, and perfect cholesterol. I'm healthier now at 47 than I was when I was 18. With measured results like that, I can't believe they're bad. I've been using them for over 2 years now.

good for you! congrats on stopping smoking - copd is a slow and painful death sentence.

are you planning to quit the ecigs as well or continue to use them?

Its water vapour,do you complain about steam when you are in a coffee shop?

• Like 2

Its water vapour,do you complain about steam when you are in a coffee shop?

I'm confused....So there is absolutley no nicotine left in this errant water vapor?

there is some left, it just can't dissapear. unless it was 0 nicotie cartrige.

my former manager used to smoke e cig in our office, my desk was right next to his, while sitting at my desk i did not smell anything while he was smoking, i did not mind it.

but when he left, and i took his desk, his screen and keyboard did smell like regular cig butts. just not as much. in few weeks the smell went away.

Edited by aztek

Study documents secondhand exposure to nicotine from electronic cigarettes

http://www.scienceda...31212141948.htm

Still, IMO, it's a drop in the ocean compared to all the pollutants we breath from automotive/everything else emissions every day. I have no problem whatsoever with them or anyone using them around me.

Edited by AZDZ
  • Like 3