Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What would a US-Russia War Look Like

Arkitecht

Heres one snippet from the article that covers the worst case scenario:

Nuclear Armageddon

Even with the slow mutual nuclear disarmament since the end of the Cold War, the U.S. and Russia each have thousands of nuclear warheads at the ready. As Eugene Chow noted earlier this year, the entire stockpile of U.S. intercontinental ballistic missiles (ICBMs) — 448 active — is essentially aimed squarely at Russia. Russia's hundreds of ICBMs are probably returning the favor.

In all, the U.S. has about 7,700 nuclear warheads, including 1,950 warheads ready to deploy via ICBM, submarine, and airplane, plus thousands more in mothballs or waiting to be dismantled, according to the latest tally by the Federation of American Scientists.

http://m.theweek.com/article.php?id=257406

Edited by Arkitecht

Now really,im not one to get over-enthusiastic about any one shot fix to all of our problems here,but wouldn't just a couple of those Russian Nukes make so many problems history?(Literally?!) So i say,go for it Russia...DRAW!...LOL

Prob look like this...

obamaworkisdone_zps8d6015ea.jpg

But I don't think it's a good idea to hope for it...

oh wait...

Here's what we actually need...

cataclysm-883479_zpsf068bfcc.jpeg

• Like 1

Really when we get all aggressive over this "Situation" the Russians would more than likely do the sneak maneuver. And by that i mean they would not shoot from Russia,but rather get in close with a sub,and Launch a few from off shore. Simple and effective.

With the current administration I have to admit anything is possible - just as a tip of the hat to rank stupidity and cowardice. But an exchange of nukes between the two nations is a civilization ender.

With the current administration I have to admit anything is possible - just as a tip of the hat to rank stupidity and cowardice. But an exchange of nukes between the two nations is a civilization ender.

...Only Civilization as we know it.He said he would bring change...He has brought much change,has he not?So why stop now?Finish the job.We all know deep down he wants to.Let it happen.

You people are bizarre. Firstly, neither Obama or Putin are going to let the missiles fly, so a potential nuclear war isn't going to be an issue. No one is that stupid. Secondly, no one actually wants war. The Russian people don't, that's for sure. Hell, a poll was conducted that showed that 73% of Russians are against intervention. No one in "the West" wants war, because people are sick of it. Each respective government will probably want to work towards a diplomatic solution, which benefits both sides.

Will war break out though? It's a possibility. The Treaty of Budapest in the 1990's agreed that the US, the UK and Europe in general would defend the Ukraine if it was invaded for whatever reason in turn for the Ukraine giving up the nuclear weapons it inherited from the USSR following the breakup of said state. Now, if Putin goes full retard and invades the Ukraine proper, the US and the UK will have to defend the Ukraine and go to war with Russia because of it's defense commitments and for the sake of keeping their reputations intact. Why the latter? Because these countries have a myriad of defense agreements with several states around the world, and the US would be finished as a world power if it can be proven that it cannot keep it's word.

• Like 4

I just wish my country would stay well out of it, even if it costs our friendship with the US (which I don't think is that important any more tbh). Most of the Russian people are strongly against a war, as are people in the EU. This is an argument between power hungry government officials, nothing more.

I have seen the media from both sides of the fence (a luxury we have in Europe) and both are painting the "other side" as the bad guys and have equaly strong arguments. But lets not forget that the only people in history to have used nukes against another country is the US, to kill mainly civilians.

Though I also think Putin may have lost the plot and probably isn't fit to be running a country.

Edited by Finity
  • Like 1

The United States would win in an ultimate War between Russia and the United States, they have the edge Technologically and Militarily. They also have the practice of Force Projection, which in this kind of war would be important.

Neither Russia nor the United States would use Nuclear Weapons. Also The United States has powerful Allies, such as the Entirety of NATO. Russia does not.

~Thanato

The United States would win in an ultimate War between Russia and the United States, they have the edge Technologically and Militarily. They also have the practice of Force Projection, which in this kind of war would be important.

Neither Russia nor the United States would use Nuclear Weapons. Also The United States has powerful Allies, such as the Entirety of NATO. Russia does not.

~Thanato

...Really?Why have Nukes then?One day it will happen.It almost has a few times.You underestimate the situation. The possibility is there...that's a fact.

...Really?Why have Nukes then?One day it will happen.It almost has a few times.You underestimate the situation. The possibility is there...that's a fact.

The possibility will always be there. But the odds are less likely then most people realize. There wont be nuclear war until one of the countries is nearly over run.

~Thanato

~Thanato

Yet Putin toys with us as though he isn't worried at all. Miscalculations happen in direct proportion to the weakness of US leaders. Imagine Putin's suprise if Obama actually found that he had a set and started acting like it suddenly!

~Thanato

Yet for all that power and technological advantage The USA has never won a war when its fought alone. food for thought.

• Like 3

Yet for all that power and technological advantage The USA has never won a war when its fought alone. food for thought.

One could argue that no country has ever fought a war on its own. There are always allies in one form or another.

• Like 2

One could argue that no country has ever fought a war on its own. There are always allies in one form or another.

still a startling fact though.

still a startling fact though.

My point being, the US has never fought a war alone.

Even looking at the wars that most would say the US went it alone - War of 1812 and Mexican American War - one could argue that the US had allies. In the case of 1812, it was Native tribes. During the Spanish-American war, it was Texas -which had just become a state after being an independent republic.

Let's all not forget that world wars start when countries back up their allies. If the USA and Russia were to go to war I can't help but think that China would take advantage of the Senkaku islands dispute, seeing as how the USA and allies would be tied up in a war anyways. http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/462565/China-and-Japan-on-the-brink-of-Third-World-War

Not to mention if North Korea or Iran also have bones to pick and things they would hope, or want to take advantage of.

A war between Russia and it's allies and the USA and it's allies would hardly stay isolated to those countries, in my honest opinion.

We've seen two world wars before, and they always start with two countries, that's all it takes, and that's what history shows us. Countries that back up their allies, WW2 is a great lesson and well known example. Let's hope our leaders are smarter this time and don't make the same mistakes.

Edited by andy4
  • Like 1

nazi germany had world most advanced and strongest army\navy\af, where are they now? who won ww2?

Edited by aztek

nazi germany had world most advanced and strongest army\navy\af, where are they now? who won ww2?

Well they did have the strongest army, and best military commanders with lots of experience from WW1, but their navy was by no means the best. Maybe as far as submarines go, but submarines don't win wars by themselves. Britain's navy was more powerful as far as surface warfare goes, and even Germany knew this. The German Air Force was the best and most experienced until about 1942/43 when they started to get drastically outnumbered by the large countries and numbers they were fighting against. But aztek, I'm not really seeing what you're getting at though. Lol

But aztek, I'm not really seeing what you're getting at though. Lol
'

What he's getting at is that technology isnt everything in war. ;) It sure as hell helps, but it isn't everything.

'

What he's getting at is that technology isnt everything in war. ;) It sure as hell helps, but it isn't everything.

Oh ok, I got it now. Lol Yeah it does help, but let's hope a full scale war doesn't happen in this day and age.

Of course the opposite of that statement is also true in that the USA has never lost a war when it fought alone. Since just about every war and military action since the Philippine-American war has been a coalition effort you can also say America has never lost a war when fighting alone.

There is the war of 1812, but that is a bit of a tough call to make on if America or Britain won since both America and Britain achieved their main war goals and both sides didn't want to continue fighting a costly war that was basically a stalemate. Before someone says that the Britain won because they burnt down the capital the army that did it was part of a larger invasion force made up of three armies and all three armies where either forced back to Canada or destroyed.

WW3- maybe.

China and Japan is preparing for it, and so this has sparked their neighbouring countries to act too.

Middle east- well we know what is happening there

South America some areas have been having civil wars,and if the China stops buying then that would create a civil unrest.

Africa has its own problems.

America and EU have already started and in these wars.