Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

13-Year-Old achieves nuclear fusion?

Mentalcase

Not terribly frightening. One would need a lot more fusionable material in order for such a thing to be a bomb, if that's what your getting at. The greatest danger would be a radiation leak, and even that wouldn't be catastrophic, unless he has a REALLY large fuel source compressed in there.

My hats off to the little guy.

• Like 1

Not terribly frightening. One would need a lot more fusionable material in order for such a thing to be a bomb, if that's what your getting at. The greatest danger would be a radiation leak, and even that wouldn't be catastrophic, unless he has a REALLY large fuel source compressed in there.

My hats off to the little guy.

To me the scary part is how easy it was done. Simply from directions found on the internet. What is stopping our enemies from doing this with an even higher budget and stockpiling?

To me the scary part is how easy it was done. Simply from directions found on the internet. What is stopping our enemies from doing this with an even higher budget and stockpiling?

Well, most of the nations that could do it already have. However, while the concepts are fairly simple, the acquisition of materials is a fairly big obstacle. If your going for a fusion weapon, who need the critical mass of the right hydrogen isotope, and then the critical mass of the right plutonium or uranium isotope to fuel the fission weapon that starts the reaction in the fusion weapon.

• Like 1

You better hope no one achieves fusion here on Earth because we don't have a technology that will contain it. Essentially, it would turn the Earth into our solar systems' second Sun.

Edited by keninsc

Um... Ken your joking right? LOL

Seems like there are several misconceptions out there...

Hydrogen Fusion is completely different from Uranium (or Plutonium) Fission.

No radioactive isotopes are produced during fusion. The only possible danger is radiation emitted from high energy collisions while the machine is on. Turn the machine off, and all radiation goes away.

These machines were invented decades ago. They do not produce any energy. They are not self-sustaining. They require an external energy source.

Other than science fair projects, these machines are only used as a tabletop source of neutrons (as a more controllable alternative to radioactive isotopes).

No country on the planet is worried that their enemies might stockpile these. These machines have no potential as weapons, unless you count throwing them at a nearby enemy.

A fusion bomb has nothing in common with this machine other than that it too uses hydrogen.

• Like 8

Thanks for the clarification!

The dirty little secret always was that it is complicated to get your hands on the materials, making it blow or heat up water to steam is the easiest part of the process.

anyone think that if that kid lived in iran , you think he would survive ? assassination maybe ?

anyone think that if that kid lived in iran , you think he would survive ? assassination maybe ?

Why??

Any enemy that starts to stockpiling a device that consumes more energy than it produces is not a very dangerous enemy :tu:

This is a neutron source, not a reactor or a weapon.

Sometimes its a good idea to check up on things before you starts getting scared.

Any enemy that starts to stockpiling a device that consumes more energy than it produces is not a very dangerous enemy :tu:

This is a neutron source, not a reactor or a weapon.

Sometimes its a good idea to check up on things before you starts getting scared.

Actually, whether I check up on something or not is none of your business. The directions for making fusion bombs are online as well. Basically, anyone with enough knowledge and access to materials can create weapons. Sure, this particular experiment is harmless, to an extent. I am quite alright not knowing everything that I post. I appreciate my UM comrades to help me out if and when I am wrong or uninformed.

Um... Ken your joking right? LOL

No! That's why they make a distinction between fusion and cold fusion. Fusion reaction is what runs the Sun......take a look at it next time you're out......no life there. Cold fusion is another matter, supposedly it can be contained using high powered magnetic fields, but that only in theory. Fact is, cold fusion is only a theory, fusion we make thermonuclear bombs out of which are less than 1% efficient. Yes, really.

Keninsc you do realise there are a few differences between the earth and the sun right ?

- The sun is mostly hydrogen and helium (which can produce fusion), while the earth is mostly silicon, oxygen and iron (which cant)

- The sun is about 330000 times larger than earth

- The temperature in the suns center is 15,7 million kelvin, the earths is about 6000 degrees in the core

There is absolutely no way a fusion reaction can get out of control on earth, simly because there are not enough heath and pressure to sustain it anywhere on earth. (exept on a very small scale in experimental reactors)

Edited by Noteverythingisaconspiracy

Yes and I also know what will happen if a fusion reaction runs away, and so should you, judging from your Pius tone.

You do realize that the Sun, ours or anyone else's began life as regular matter.....that's the same stuff our planet is made of, then came the fusion thing, right?

Yes and I also know what will happen if a fusion reaction runs away, and so should you, judging from your Pius tone.

You do realize that the Sun, ours or anyone else's began life as regular matter.....that's the same stuff our planet is made of, then came the fusion thing, right?

Fusion is fusion. There is no difference between the mechanism of ``cold fusion'' and ``hot fusion''.

The Sun is a self-sustaining fusion reaction because it has achieved critical mass.

NOTHING on Earth will EVER achieve critical mass of unassisted self-sustaining fusion (unless we get several thousand times the mass of the Earth in hydrogen from somewhere).

We MIGHT be able to achieve self-sustaining fusion with confinement (such as at ITER or similar experimental facilities), but if the confinement is breached, the fusion will stop.

This isn't very complicated.

• Like 2

Im not trying to be pius, im just trying to explain the reason why the earth can't possibly become a new sun.

Its made of the wrong elements and its much to small and cold to ignite a fusion reaction anyway.

The earth is NOT made of the same material as the sun. The sun is made of hydrogen and helium, while the earth is made mainly of iron, silicon and oxygen.

Actually i was trying to tell you that you dont have to worry about it, but if you want to worry about something that can't possibly happen, thats your decision, i was just trying to reassure you. :cry:

Edited by Noteverythingisaconspiracy

Dr.%252BMichio%252BKaku_a38518_4938995.jpg

Mom's can be very cool.

• Like 1

13 year old achieves Nuclear Fusion!... With School-provided equipment... And £2000 funding... And probably plenty of help... ;)