Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Will return of top predators effect cryptids?

eaglesareskykittens

What impact, if any, do you believe that the return of top predators (such as wolves & cougars) to areas they have been absent from for nearly a hundred years or more will have on the reported sightings of cryptids? Will the number of sightings increase do to the misidentification of unfamiliar wildlife? If (not claiming that they do or do not exist) cyrptid species like, bigfoot for example, do exist how do you theorize they will be impacted by the return of such large predators? After all wolves and cougars are both keystone species and have dramatically wide reaching effects on ecosystems, not to mention wolves, cougars, and bears do clash with each other from time to time, so it is likely that larger cryptids would also have showdowns with them as well. Elk and other deer species had to relearn what wolves were. It is likely that through predation and encounters both returning top predators and supposed crytids will have to adapt to each other's presence. Could all of the researcher being done (tracking, video, scat analysis, exc..) out in the field on wolves or cougars lead to concrete proof of cryptid species?

Edited by eaglesareskykittens

None really, assuming they exist at all then they existed when even bigger and badder top predators were around as well. According to Matt the Moneymaker, Bigfoots are the top Alpha predators and even bears will get away from them.

......according to Matt that is.

Personally, I think humans will be their top problem.

Edited by keninsc
  • Like 3

The way I see it, cryptids such as sasquatch don't seem to part of any ecosystem. They're supposedly living all throughout western North America, even in places that wouldn't have the resources to support a population of large primates, yet they leave no discernible impact on any ecosystems. If they exist, (which I don't think they do), they apparently don't eat anything, leave any droppings, or die. So I don't think introducing top predators would change anything, except, as you said, maybe lead to more misidentifications.

• Like 1

None really, assuming they exist at all then they existed when even bigger and badder top predators were around as well. According to Matt the Moneymaker, Bigfoots are the top Alpha predators and even bears will get away from them.

......according to Matt that is.

Personally, I think humans will be their top problem.

Valid point, with a source, but you have to admit that a large pack of wolves is a bit different then a bear. I mean there are packs in Yellowstone that specialize in taking down Bison, full grown Bison. If they can do that well, I think they could take bigfoot if they really wanted to, or at least a dude dressed up as bigfoot.

Also I agree humans will most likely be the problem they face.

Thanks a bundle for replying to my post!

The way I see it, cryptids such as sasquatch don't seem to part of any ecosystem. They're supposedly living all throughout western North America, even in places that wouldn't have the resources to support a population of large primates, yet they leave no discernible impact on any ecosystems. If they exist, (which I don't think they do), they apparently don't eat anything, leave any droppings, or die. So I don't think introducing top predators would change anything, except, as you said, maybe lead to more misidentifications.

Yeah that is the one big problem I have with cryptids too, if they are real they should leave a mark on an ecosystem, then again we don't necessary know what kind of mark to look for, but you would think a creature like bigfoot should be a keystone species if they existed. After all endangered animals with populations less then a few hundred still have detectable influences on ecosystems.

Thank you for replying!

• Like 1

Valid point, with a source, but you have to admit that a large pack of wolves is a bit different then a bear. I mean there are packs in Yellowstone that specialize in taking down Bison, full grown Bison. If they can do that well, I think they could take bigfoot if they really wanted to, or at least a dude dressed up as bigfoot

True, a pack animal like wolves might make life tough for a lone Bigfoot but again, according to MM they actually travel in family groups which they call pods. I don't know who came up with that. I know if I was surrounded by a pack of wolves my only hope would be to have technology of firearms available to me. However, wolves do get a bad reputation, and I really shouldn't speculate like that, it only adds to the stereotype.

As far as any dude who dresses up like a Bigfoot and comes to some harm, as far as I'm concerned it's on him. He should have known better.

Edited by keninsc

True, a pack animal like wolves might make life tough for a lone Bigfoot but again, according to MM they actually travel in family groups which they call pods. I don't know who came up with that. I know if I was surrounded by a pack of wolves my only hope would be to have technology of firearms available to me. However, wolves do get a bad reputation, and I really shouldn't speculate like that, it only adds to the stereotype.

As far as any dude who dresses up like a Bigfoot and comes to some harm, as far as I'm concerned it's on him. He should have known better.

Agreed wolves do get a bad reputation (and yes someone dressed up as bigfoot does have what's coming to him), I'd forgotten about the theory that bigfoots or would it be bigfeets??? travel in families. Still it is interesting to theorize how these two animals would interact. Assuming bigfoot is real they might actually benefit from wolves by taking ownership of their kills like bears occasionally do. What interested me though is the idea that these two creatures might have no knowledge of the other. Edited by eaglesareskykittens

I don't see any reason why a pack of wolves or a loan mountain lion couldn't take down a a juvenile bigfoot.

But then again, juvenile bigfoot seem to be be pretty much indistructable given they never seem to get hit by cars or fall in rivers, etc.

• Like 1

I don't see any reason why a pack of wolves or a loan mountain lion couldn't take down a a juvenile bigfoot.

But then again, juvenile bigfoot seem to be be pretty much indistructable given they never seem to get hit by cars or fall in rivers, etc.

Darn indestructible juveniles, then again if bigfoot teenagers are anything like humans I am pretty sure they will end up p***ing something off enough that it will want to eat them.

I always thought that if bigfoot was real they would be getting into fights with grizzlies. After all they would be competing for the same resources.

• Like 1

I always thought that if bigfoot was real they would be getting into fights with grizzlies. After all they would be competing for the same resources.

Yeah, my thoughts exactly, but now there are new players to worry about.

We do have stories of bigfoot being seen with large cats (even where mountain lions are not known to exist). It is speculated that they may have a symbiotic relationship of some kind.

Say that 3 times without laughing.

• Like 1

We do have stories of bigfoot being seen with large cats (even where mountain lions are not known to exist). It is speculated that they may have a symbiotic relationship of some kind.

Say that 3 times without laughing.

That's really neat. Who new bigfoot and cats. and no I cannot say that three times without laughing.

Predators do often have symbiotic relationships with each other. There are examples in nature we can cite, however this is a creature that we really don't have any real scientific observations to base anything on. I'm not sure if speculating too much is a good idea......and I also know that it won't stop me from doing that very thing.

I can't imagine a Bigfoot would have a cougar as a hunting companion or dare I say it, as a pet. However.....

Predators do often have symbiotic relationships with each other. There are examples in nature we can cite, however this is a creature that we really don't have any real scientific observations to base anything on. I'm not sure if speculating too much is a good idea......and I also know that it won't stop me from doing that very thing.

I can't imagine a Bigfoot would have a cougar as a hunting companion or dare I say it, as a pet. However.....

However.... yes lets go there, speculate! I wonder if he calls it fluffy or flluffykins?

I just got this mental image of a Bigfoot and his pet cougar all curled up in their den. Bigfoot is trying to read the paper and the cougar is wanting some attention and is vying for him to stop and scratch his ears.

Silly cats.

I just got this mental image of a Bigfoot and his pet cougar all curled up in their den. Bigfoot is trying to read the paper and the cougar is wanting some attention and is vying for him to stop and scratch his ears.

Silly cats.

I think I have to get one of my friends to draw that.
  • Like 2

Post it up if you do. That would be funny.

Defintly

Post it up if you do. That would be funny.

I will, I told them they should draw it for me, So I will post it when they are done

Hmm interesting topic never really thought about it honestly, now I need to look more into and come back and give my opinion :P