Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

surrounding land/boundless continent

granpa

http://religion.wikia.com/wiki/Timaeus

In the Egyptian Delta, at the head of which the river Nile divides, there is a certain district which is called the district of Sais, and the great city of the district is also called Sais, and is the city from which King Amasis came. The citizens have a deity for their foundress; she is called in the Egyptian tongue Neith, and is asserted by them to be the same whom the Hellenes call Athene; they are great lovers of the Athenians, and say that they are in some way related to them. To this city came Solon, and was received there with great honour; he asked the priests who were most skilful in such matters, about antiquity...

You are welcome to hear about them, Solon, said the priest...

As touching your citizens of nine thousand years ago, I will briefly inform you of their laws and of their most famous action...

Many great and wonderful deeds are recorded of your state in our histories. But one of them exceeds all the rest in greatness and valour. For these histories tell of a mighty power which unprovoked made an expedition against the whole of Europe and Asia, and to which your city put an end.

This power came forth out of the Sea of Atlas, for in those days the Sea of Atlas was navigable; and there was an island situated in front of the straits which are by you called the Pillars of Heracles; the island was larger than Libya and Asia put together, and was the way to other islands, and from these you might pass to the whole of the opposite continent which surrounded the true sea; for this sea which is within the Straits of Heracles is only a harbour, having a narrow entrance, but that other is a real sea, and the surrounding land may be most truly called a boundless continent.

So we have

1) a great continent which "may be most truly called a boundless continent" surrounding a

2) "true sea" within which lies

3) Atlantis which on its southern shore contains a plain 3000 stadia (470 km) across extending 2000 stadia (315 km) inland.

Leaving the sea of Atlas through the

4) Pillars of Heracles (formed when Heracles split Mt Atlas) we arrive at

5) a small "harbour" which Plato called "this sea". Presumable "this sea" is adjacent to "Sais" as well as

6) "Libya" and "Asia" which together are smaller than the island of Atlantis

I am particularly curious as to number one

Is this a continuation of a previous Atlantis thread? (only asking)

http://religion.wikia.com/wiki/Timaeus

So we have

1) a great continent which "may be most truly called a boundless continent" surrounding a

2) "true sea" within which lies

3) Atlantis which on its southern shore contains a plain 3000 stadia (470 km) across extending 2000 stadia (315 km) inland.

Leaving the sea of Atlas through the

4) Pillars of Heracles (formed when Heracles split Mt Atlas) we arrive at

5) a small "harbour" which Plato called "this sea". Presumable "this sea" is adjacent to "Sais" as well as

6) "Libya" and "Asia" which together are smaller than the island of Atlantis

I am particularly curious as to number one

granpa, why not add this to your already existing Atlantis thread? All this does is have everyone repeat everything they have already said in that thread to this one and splits the conversation...

We are describing the island and plain, this fits right in with the gist of the conversation there.

Edited by The Puzzler
  • Like 1

granpa, why not add this to your already existing Atlantis thread? All this does is have everyone repeat everything they have already said in that thread to this one and splits the conversation...

We are describing the island and plain, this fits right in with the gist of the conversation there.

Presumably you're taking about the "Atlantis in context" thread. I couldn't agree more. There is already an excess of Atlantis discussions, in my opinion. This new topic would fit best in "Atlantis in context."

I'm not closing it at this moment but will give it some thought.

This seems to be ground already in discussion to me also.

I'd post what I think about a Boundless Continent, but the where and hows have already been done to death. What Plato described is technically impossible. Does North and South America together even come close to Africa and Asia combined?

• Like 1