Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Inappropriate Condom Wrappers

OverSword

Wow. Just wow. What is wrong with people these days? So anyway, long story short Boston area high schools had to recall what was left of the 40,000 condoms they handed out to students. Why? This is why.

Boston-Public-Schools-pull-out-free-condoms-after-complaints-about-racy-wrappers.jpg

What were the geniuses thinking giving funny cartoon condoms out to kids?

Here is the link

• Like 1

Oh dear LORD!

Kids are gonna have sex regardless; would the mothers rather they have 'gay' sex sloagans on them instead?

The **** that makes the news now-a-days.

Where has the sense of humor of the American Public gone? Do they think their kids refer to their private parts as penises and vaginas?

Just fricken ridiculous to me.

• Like 2

Really? My thinking is that sex is serious and can have life changing consequenses be those pregnancy or STD's. Kids get the message that sex is fun, funny, or no big deal from all over, be that TV, music, movies. The people who should be stressing the seriousness of sex are the people who are supposed to be educating young people about it. If this doesn't undermine that then I must just be some kind of prude.

• Like 7

Putting jokey labels on condoms might be an excellent idea - because it trivialises sex.

When we prohibit/restrict a group from doing something others do, or exalt something, we increase the desire of those we seek to restrict, to partake. Kids want to explore sex not only because of their hormones, but because we (the adults) tell them "it's not right".

It might be that trivialising the act of sex reduces the desire of younger people to partake, because it's no longer "bucking authority". Maybe it will backfire, but the psychology behind the idea is sound.

Of course, education about sex is still vitally important. An idea like the one in the OP would not work in isolation.

Edited by Leonardo
  • Like 2

Well, if they must give out free condoms to the students in school, generic wrappers would of course be more appropriate, but since they already recalled these wrappers and replaced them with generic wrappers, seems like a non-issue to me.

• Like 3

Putting jokey labels on condoms might be an excellent idea - because it trivialises sex.

When we prohibit/restrict a group from doing something others do, or exalt something, we increase the desire of those we seek to restrict, to partake. Kids want to explore sex not only because of their hormones, but because we (the adults) tell them "it's not right".

It might be that trivialising the act of sex reduces the desire of younger people to partake, because it's no longer "bucking authority". Maybe it will backfire, but the psychology behind the idea is sound.

Of course, education about sex is still vitally important. An idea like the one in the OP would not work in isolation.

*eyes rolling at most of your post* So did your parents say to you "Leonardo, we have great sex all night every night it's wonderful and sticky but we absolutely forbid you to do it" ? My parents didn't forbid me to do it, although my mother told me she lost her virginity and I was born 9 months later.
  • Like 1

Well, if they must give out free condoms to the students in school, generic wrappers would of course be more appropriate, but since they already recalled these wrappers and replaced them with generic wrappers, seems like a non-issue to me.

Don't find it troubling at all that it took parents compaining about it before they stopped? What kind of dimwits are running that school district?
  • Like 3

I think condoms with funny labels does trivialize sex and it shouldn't be done because sex is a big deal. It can lead to heartbreak, pregnancy, stds and if the student isn't prepared for it emotionally they can have problems dealing with it.

• Like 2

Oh No! For goodness sake! We can't have children we a combination of both a sense of humor & prophylactics for safe sex. :no: Because what the world needs more of is overly sensitive, politically correct, underage parents.

Edited by DumpsterJesus
  • Like 1

Yeah, I think they went the wrong way about trying to advertise those things. Especially the one that sayz "ONE Lucky Lady". Kinda of sexist IMO. Maybe they should put them in neon colored wrappers or something, that's always an eye cacher.

Edited by Purifier
  • Like 1

Heaven forbid that should happen.

Wow. Way to totaly take a quote out of context.

Yeah, I think they went the wrong way about trying to advertise those things. Especially the one that sayz "ONE Lucky Lady". Kinda of sexist IMO. Maybe they should put them in neon colored wrappers or something, that's always an eye cacher.

One is a condom company that probably donated the condoms to the school which is why they took them. They were already doing a good deed, I don't think it is necessary that they also spend the money to change their packaging..

EDIT: And my favorite is definitely the busy beaver.

Edited by Agent0range
  • Like 1

Good - let's stop pretending that sex is so taboo. For crying out loud is 2014 and we still cover our eyes and ears when it's time to talk about teenage sex.

It happens, it always will happen and we've ALL been there. Even though we've separated church and state (not looking to debate that now,) there are very obvious Christian overtones and ideas left over from another time.

We have communal water fountains for every race now, we don't measure the height of women's skirts, the "golden" years are over, man. It's who we are as human beings - it's a very integral part of our DNA and our brains are hardwired for it. Let's embrace this new age and just like with drugs, sex is never going away so let's address THAT instead of still trying to stifle it like it's something to be ashamed of. Educate the youths instead of trying to control what their bodies were literally designed to do.

• Like 5

One is a condom company that probably donated the condoms to the school which is why they took them. They were already doing a good deed, I don't think it is necessary that they also spend the money to change their packaging..

EDIT: And my favorite is definitely the busy beaver.

Yeah but still, the "ONE Lucky Lady" seems sexist to me, as if females should be proud to be selected by males or something. They could of at least left that one out or packaged one that also said "ONE Lucky Man". :D

• Like 1

Really? My thinking is that sex is serious and can have life changing consequenses be those pregnancy or STD's. Kids get the message that sex is fun, funny, or no big deal from all over, be that TV, music, movies. The people who should be stressing the seriousness of sex are the people who are supposed to be educating young people about it. If this doesn't undermine that then I must just be some kind of prude.

Kids, even the ones educated on the subject, don't truly take the matter seriously anyway. Even the ones that practice "safe sex". They're kids. Try finding a child that takes anything seriously. At least matters worth taking seriously anyway. They are extremely few & far between. However parents could (now this is just a suggestion) take time from their busy schedules of watching TV & surfing the internet when not at work, to educate their children on safe sex practices. This way they at least know to put on a condom while giggling a the silly wrappers.
  • Like 2

Kids get the message that sex is fun, funny, or no big deal

Sex IS fun, it can be funny, and it can be no big deal, as long as those involved are responsible.

Giving condoms to high schoolers, without without cartoons on them, is more responsible than continuing to teach abstinence that does not work.

• Like 5

The people who should be stressing the seriousness of sex are the people who are supposed to be educating young people about it.

Would you rather them have sex with condoms given to them by the school, or them have sex completely without any protection at all?

EDIT: Plus, education will barely do anything for them. You can SHOW them how to be abstinent and SHOW them that underage sex is 'bad' and everything but it means virtually nothing when it comes time for the deed to be done. Even those influenced by sex ed truly won't take it to heart when in the heat of the moment.

Edited by BNDGK
  • Like 2

Good - let's stop pretending that sex is so taboo. For crying out loud is 2014 and we still cover our eyes and ears when it's time to talk about teenage sex.

It happens, it always will happen and we've ALL been there. Even though we've separated church and state (not looking to debate that now,) there are very obvious Christian overtones and ideas left over from another time.

We have communal water fountains for every race now, we don't measure the height of women's skirts, the "golden" years are over, man. It's who we are as human beings - it's a very integral part of our DNA and our brains are hardwired for it. Let's embrace this new age and just like with drugs, sex is never going away so let's address THAT instead of still trying to stifle it like it's something to be ashamed of. Educate the youths instead of trying to control what their bodies were literally designed to do.

Christian overtones? So any indication that you want educators to act with common sense, thoughtfulness or higher standars just reeks of outdated christian overtones?

Christian overtones? So any indication that you want educators to act with common sense, thoughtfulness or higher standars just reeks of outdated christian overtones?

Depends on who is defining "common sense", "thoughtfulness", and "higher standards". Personally I prefer my educators use logic, and logic (and personal experience) shows teens are going to have sex as they please, so why not give them some free protection?

And to reiterate another posters question: Would you rather have schools teach abstinence? Something proven to pretty much do the opposite of what its intended.

• Like 4

I'm still trying to wrap my brain around something here. How does a condom wrapper with silly pictures & gimmicky one-liners outweigh the simple fact that these kids are actually being equipped with the knowledge & tools to protect themselves & their partners?

• Like 3

Would you rather them have sex with condoms given to them by the school, or them have sex completely without any protection at all?

Please show where I even hint at suggesting that I think they should just have sex without condoms or any other stupid thing you insinuate that I said. Please don't put words in my mouth.
  • Like 1

they should have used age appropriate images on the wrappers. you know, teenager stuff

And to reiterate another posters question: Would you rather have schools teach abstinence? Something proven to pretty much do the opposite of what its intended.

To answer that honestly I would prefer that they teach responsibility so they should teach methods of and reasons for safe sex and birth control as well as (get ready for it) abstinence. Abstinence is the ulimate way for a young person who is not prepared to have children either emotionaly or financialy to be responsible. They shoud not be encouraged to have sex. I believe that the majority of kids under 18 have not had sex, and if you think the majority have you watch too much TV.