Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

[Merged] Flight MH370 to Beijing goes missing

thedutchiedutch

On 9/11, the hijackers disabled the transponders and turned the planes back to New York. I started thinking about that when I first heard it. Now I have to wonder about the Malaysian military who should have known about this change in course when it happened, if they were following the flight of the plane on radar.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2014/03/11/iranians-reportedly-used-stolen-passports-on-malaysia-airlines-flight-were/

I heard on several news shows about how officials aren't very happy about the way they seem to be conducting the investigation and that valuable time has been lost. The NTSB are chomping at the bit to get involved and so far haven't been asked by Malaysian officals. The news stations are discussing an international treaty that was signed by Malaysia and many other countries to assist in cases like this. Beginning to seem like there's something under the covers here but I also think a hijacker would have voiced his demands at some point after taking over the flight. This is a very strange case.

I can't imagine having a loved one on a flight that just disappeared without a trace like this. It's hard to imagine that with all the technology we have and all the safety features put into airplanes, any of us could board a plane and fly off into oblivion with no way of tracing where we went or what happened to us. That makes this case pretty scary too.

Edited by susieice

Doesn't fit with the of course theory

No it doesn't, but it does make sense. One of the scenarios mooted by the experts is a catastrophic power failure (perhaps due to fire, for example), and if all the electrics are out the best way to return to an airport would be to fly a reciprocal course on a magnetic compass. At night it would be by far the safest option, you'd get near enough to see the airport and familiar landmarks, and then jumble your way in to land. You seriously wouldn't have any other option.

Unfortunately, having a power failure can lead to all sorts of other problems too, and I'm no expert but wonder what happens with trim when fuel is unable to be transferred - does a plane gradually become un-flyable ?

• Like 1

So 2 planes vanished with in a week?? Nuts I think they both crashed in the ocean

Currently the most probable theory is a full 'electricity' failure and blackout on the plane ... which maybe explains most of the sequence of events ...

- flying 'blind' then proceed to turn back and full communication failure ...

~

Currently the most probable theory is a full 'electricity' failure and blackout on the plane ... which maybe explains most of the sequence of events ...

- flying 'blind' then proceed to turn back and full communication failure ...

~

Not all of instruments are electronic powered and you have the charts i suppose

On 9/11, the hijackers disabled the transponders and turned the planes back to New York. I started thinking about that when I first heard it. Now I have to wonder about the Malaysian military who should have known about this change in course when it happened, if they were following the flight of the plane on radar.

http://www.foxnews.c...es-flight-were/

I heard on several news shows about how officials aren't very happy about the way they seem to be conducting the investigation and that valuable time has been lost. The NTSB are chomping at the bit to get involved and so far haven't been asked by Malaysian officals. The news stations are discussing an international treaty that was signed by Malaysia and many other countries to assist in cases like this. Beginning to seem like there's something under the covers here but I also think a hijacker would have voiced his demands at some point after taking over the flight. This is a very strange case.

I can't imagine having a loved one on a flight that just disappeared without a trace like this. It's hard to imagine that with all the technology we have and all the safety features put into airplanes, any of us could board a plane and fly off into oblivion with no way of tracing where we went or what happened to us. That makes this case pretty scary too.

From reports I have read, the disappearance happened after the plane left Malaysian air-traffic control and was switched to Vietnamese ATC. That being the case, it should be the Vietnamese authorities who have the info on the planes last minutes on radar, yet all of the focus is (wrongly, imo) on the Malaysian authorities. Why?

Has anyone read the Comic Flight 714 of Tintin series??

In it, a flight is hijacked from Jakarta, flown low to avoid radar and landed on a temporary landing strip on a beach, which is dismantled and the passengers are kept imprisoned.

Could something of a similar nature have happened to Flight MH370?

it did fly low.

think about it.

Heard a case where a plane took off and there was a carbon monoxide leak and everyone died before the plane landed so the plan went on autopilot before it crashed. This is very unlikely especially with how the plane turned around but could be possible.

I was thinking if someone hijacked the plan that they would have made a ransom by now unless maybe the hijacking went wrong.

Something to consider with all these conflicting reports and the various theories that are cropping up. The actual investigators of the crash are probably doing their level best to avoid even hearing about all this conjecture, could you imagine the confusion in their minds if they had to sift through all the varied scenarios being proposed? The vague and often completely contradictory theories the media are bandying about regarding this flight tells me they are treating just about anyone with a I.D. related to airlines or military/navy or anything from the cleaner to the proverbial coffee lady as expert opinion.

It is getting really annoying.

Truth is, I think we will be surprised when they do find the plane and discover they were working through the evidence in a much more organised and professional manner than the big media outlets imagination allows them to even fathom.

• Like 2

That's usually how it happens libstaK. Everyone scrambling for answers no one can have until the wreckage is found. I feel so bad for the families looking for answers. Now the Malaysian Air Force person who said the plane was on radar west in the Strait of Malacca says that wasn't true, they never said that. This is so heartbreaking and frustrating for those families. No one knows where to look so they will search the whole area, and that's a big area with a lot of remote spots.

• Like 3

Not all of instruments are electronic powered and you have the charts i suppose

Nahhh ... just one among the many theories put forward :

12 March 2014| last updated at 09:20AM

MISSING MH370: Aviation expert suggests 6 reasons for disappearance

KUALA LUMPUR: The mysterious disappearance of the Malaysia Airlines (MAS) Flight MH370 since Saturday continues to baffle experts around the world.

At this point, an aviation expert has suggested historical evidence leading to six major reasons for the disappearance of the 11-year-old Boeing 777-200ER aircraft used for the flight.

The reasons he cited were a combination of technical and pilot errors leading to a snowballing effect, structural disintegration, human factors, bad weather, total electrical failure and hijacking.

Frost and Sullivan Asia Pacific Aerospace and Defence Consultant Ravi Madavaram said there was no single factor that generall led to an airplane crash but a combination of technical glitches and pilot decisions.

Earlier in the week :

‘Impossible’ that MH370 skipped all radars, expert says

By Pathma SubramaniamMarch 11, 2014

Azharuddin said that the controllers had crossed checked with counterparts in Singapore, Indonesia, Thailand and Vietnam before informing MAS of its missing flight.

With no sign of the aircraft on radar, experts are now toying with the possibility of a mid-air explosion or a major malfunction onboard the aircraft, caused by electrical or technical failures.

But Ravi discounted the likelihood of a total power cut onboard, saying that while it could be possible, it is very rare and has never happened before.

He pointed out that Boeing aircrafts are supported by three electrical power sources ; two generators, one in each engine, an auxiliary power unit (APU) and a ram air turbine (RAT).

For the aircraft to have total electrical failure, all three systems should have failed at the same time.

“This is pretty rare and has not happened,” said Ravi.

• malaymail online link

Impossible to Rare ... but who knows ...

~

• Like 1

I would think if the plane came down in the Strait of Malacca, someone would have seen something. It's a very busy shipping route and only 40 miles wide at it's widest point. The water is also quite shallow. So hard to speculate where this plane could have gone.

Even if there was a midair explosion, as we learned at Lockerbie, a plane and all it's contents simply doesn't disintegrate into molecules. There has to be a debris field somewhere.

• Like 2

I agree about the rarity of a complete power failure, but look at the facts. The sudden and complete cessation of communications from the aircraft, coupled with its apparent disappearance from airspace, can really only mean it exploded in mid-air, suffered a catastrophic failure in midair, was taken over by terrorists or criminals, or had a complete power failure. No debris field has been found, and there seems to be a variety of clues that indicate it may have continued flying. For that reason, the terrorist/criminal or power failure scenarios seem more plausible.

We now also have three further clues to ponder over - (1) a New Zealander on an oil rig who claims he saw a burning object in the sky some 200 miles SE of Vietnam (well to the right of the flight path), (2) a village in eastern Malaysia along the flight path whose inhabitants claim to have heard a struggling jet-engine at the time of the disappearance and (3) the aircraft reputedly seen hundreds of miles west of the flight path in the Malacca Straits. All very different locations many hundreds of miles apart.

There is also a hypoxia theory gaining credence that may explain the plane's "turn" and westward path - the thought process is that with everyone on board unconscious from hypoxia that the plane simply flew 3000 miles on autopilot across the Indian Ocean until it ran out of fuel.

There are several pilots' forums around the world - they all seem as baffled as us laymen.

• Like 3

I read this on Wikipedia about a 777 incident regarding; "The aircraft sustained structural, heat and smoke damage. This aircraft was written off.[222][223] Investigators focused on a possible electrical fault with a supply hose in the cockpit crew oxygen system.[222]" This occurred in 2011.

Not saying that this happened with this flight, but if it did, it might explain the lack of communication, and maybe the pilots were knocked unconscious by smoke and or fire, or perhaps communication systems were also damaged. Just my little theory, since everyone else is putting them out there!

Hmm, and am I right in thinking that anyone, even crew, outside the cabin have to have the door opened from the inside ?

Yes that is correct, I believe you have to enter a code into the door to gain entry. I guess if the pilots became unconscious somehow, than there would be nobody to fly the plane, except the autopilot. Although if they made a 180 back to the airport, it suggests they turned it off, yet that is just speculation. They could've made a 180, then engaged the autopilot again, all along possibly fighting an electrical fire. Just speculation though. Yet that leaves no one to fly the plane, if the pilots were indeed unconscious.

Not saying I'm right here, but if a fire did occur in the cockpit, it wouldn't matter if the 10 electrical redundancy systems worked or not, because the power to the systems in which they feed to were damaged. Unconscious pilots, no way to get into the cockpit, and a plane with the autopilot on= a plane drastically off course, and very far away from where it should be. Perhaps it's much further south than thought, they could be looking 1,000 miles north than where it ended up, and that's why they can't find anything at all. It did do a 180 before disappearing of radar after all. Again, just speculation.

Edited by andy4

A chinese sourced satellite image is now being touted as the most credible lead so far in locating the plane / debri

http://edition.cnn.c....html?hpt=hp_t1

Apparently they have had this since Sunday but have analysed the information thoroughly before releasing it. It is credible in that it puts the plane almost exactly where it is supposed to be in it's flight path at the time of loss of contact.

It definitely has the shape of a plane and the size is credible too - I hope this is it, so many are waiting for answers on the fate of their loved ones before they can move on with their grieving and deal with their loss.

Edited by libstaK
  • Like 2

a media frenzy cooking up a media bonanza is what this is all it is ...

~

• Like 1

I just got home from work and saw the breaking news about this satelitte pic. If it's not the plane, I wonder what it is. Sounds pretty big. I would think ships would be heading there now so we should find out in the near future.

Vietnam has now said it's backing off the search because of conflicting information coming out of Malaysia.

This story has more twists and turns than a well written fictional mystery novel.

• Like 2

A real Unexplained mystery! And yet no one here has mentioned the Bermuda triangle or U.F.O.'s.They might never be found.But it would be nice if the Google earth pic of a plane like this one was the real thing.(as the plane was in one piece and looked undamaged) Like maybe it was hijacked and everyone is alive and well.

I just got home from work and saw the breaking news about this satelitte pic. If it's not the plane, I wonder what it is. Sounds pretty big. I would think ships would be heading there now so we should find out in the near future.

Vietnam has now said it's backing off the search because of conflicting information coming out of Malaysia.

This story has more twists and turns than a well written fictional mystery novel.

Vietnam is not backing off ... Vietnam is allowing Malaysian Vessels involved in the search 'free access' to its waters and is taking a supporting role as their equipments are incompatible with the ones that the M'sian Navy is using ...

~

• Like 2