Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Monks leave mystery 'pearls' in remains

UM-Bot

Some believe that Buddhist monks are able to accumulate a mysterious substance within their bodies.

Known as sarira, these strange pearl-like objects are considered both rare and sacred and are said to be found in the cremated remains of only the most accomplished of Buddhist monks.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/263515/monks-leave-mystery-pearls-in-remains

I am not inclined to believe a word of it. There are just as many people who claim to feel "mystical" or "spiritual" energy from crystal skulls or from a piece of a cross from an old church.

One thing that totally made this a possible fraud was this quote:

One Buddhist organization is selling a small collection of sarira for $4,000 to maintain its operations.

To me this just smacks of deception; taking advantage of the gullible and naive. (sadly there is an over-abundance of that these days.)

It seems like it is little more than an article that says "we are better than you because our ashes have this. Does yours?".

Don't totally misunderstand, it is mildly interesting but this article just doesn't seem very legitimate to me. Just more religious pandering.

• Like 1

Gall stones...LOL!

• Like 1

Gall stones...LOL!

Just what I was thinking about - either gall, kidney or bladder stones.

• Like 2

Oh, it's pretty common in Asia.

In fact, living organism occasionally does collect rare minerals in its body and form such kind of thing, sarira. Sometimes a living person can cough out the mineral deposit.

Late 'Sung-Chul', one of the greatest Buddhist sage in Korea, coughed out a small sarira, and one of his pupils was awe-struck, Sung-Chul scolded him and said a true seeker should not concern about such thing.

In fact, people who work as hard laborers create same kind of stuff in their bodies, too.

Right, it's not a deception. It's just a rarely known biological phenomenon.

Edited by ambelamba
  • Like 1

Edited by TheGreatBeliever

Probably just swallowed some indigestible mass.

This should help..

Forensic Sci Int. 1995 Jun 30;74(1-2):29-45.

Scanning electron microscope observations of heat-treated human bone.

Holden JL1, Phakey PP, Clement JG.

Author information

Abstract

This report describes the heat-induced alterations in human bone tissue observed using scanning electron microscopy and microradiography. Femoral bone samples were taken from persons varying in age from 1 year to 97 years at the time of their death. The bone was heated at selected temperatures in the range 200-1600 degrees C for periods of 2, 12, 18 and 24 h. Macroscopically, changes in colour occurred, together with some shrinkage, fracturing and distortion. However, dramatic changes occurred at the ultrastructural level. These changes included the progressive combustion of the organic portion of the bone tissue up to 400 degrees C and recrystallisation of the bone mineral beginning at 600 degrees C. Recrystallisation produced a range of crystal morphologies: spherical, hexagonal, platelets, rosettes and irregular. Crystal growth occurred at temperatures > 600 degrees C. Sintering led to fusion of crystals at 1000 degrees C. This process continued up to temperatures > 1400 degrees C. At 1600 degrees C the bone mineral melted. On heating, the morphology of crystals formed, and the ultrastructural changes which occurred, were found to be related to the age of the deceased, the temperature to which the bone had been heated and the duration of heating. These results are of importance to forensic scientists, arson investigators and paleoarcheologists in their investigation of cremated human bones, particularly when only fragments of bone are available, in order to determine something of the life history of the deceased and the circumstances surrounding the death. PMID: 7665130 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

• Like 5

Epic contradiction here:

The sarira have not been tested, because they are rare and considered sacred.

One Buddhist organization is selling a small collection of sarira for $4,000 to maintain its operations

Apparently, it is so sacred it cannot be tested, yet it can be sold. What happened to the monks' code on never receiving money as alms?

Edited by Ashyne
  • Like 3

Calcim deposits in the body are very common. Nothing mystical about it.

Yep..I had a tiny ball of calcium surface to my skin which I removed with a razor blade.

ngible radiation of exquisite energy flowing from the relics to my heart center," said lead author Nisha J. Manek. "It was highly private and personal, and yet conveyed an immense sense of Oneness or unity with everyone and everything. It had no counterpart in ordinary experience."

I struggled to read past this quote, and that was the second paragraph...

• Like 1

Nothing spiritual here, just natural mineral deposits. Picking through the ashes of your deceased monk brothers to find them however, is gruesome :no:

Nothing spiritual here, just natural mineral deposits. Picking through the ashes of your deceased monk brothers to find them however, is gruesome :no:

I don't think so. Not any more gruesome than displaying a dead body in a stiff suite and in an unnatural posrure under a bright spotlight. I see it as a respectful tradition, among the lines of the bone picking after a Japanese cremation, for example.

• Like 2

Its possible , I have had such pearls. Very , Very Painful to pass! I did enter a state of euphoria (Nirvana) when they left my body.

Maximus

What I didn't find out is does this happen with other humans too, and how much. Maybe because I'm not in the cremation business.

I don't see how the monks selling the pieces for a low sum is any different than televangelists stealing life savings from dying grannies. What they are doing is nothing like that. They don't have a huge church where people come in weekly and a plate is passed around and people are asked to give money they don't have because the Bible says so.

People who are on the good path of Buddhist principle won't really care about relics. But...

Most people, regardless of their backgrounds, are simply unenlightened. And monks and sages hesitate to tell the public about the truth about spiritual path because...

....it all boils down to politics and conflicts of interests...Sad.

• Like 1

If we don't know what they look like or are made of, how can we so easily dismiss it?

I assume they observe other bodies, and the pearls are not found..?

Just monks bodies?

Also, stones and calcification, don't look like pearls. Theyre eluding to them being like pearls.

Who knows?

I mean lots and lots of shell fish live in the sea, but only a handful of them can make pearls.

Maybe they're very religious.

Heh

• Like 2