Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Strange Unexplained Disappearances

rapture

He does pose some interesting questions however I do find some of his claims to be a little "out there". Like "unofficial" large primate encounters for one. I find it hard to believe that no one would come forward or make death bed confessions about such things. But that's me.

That was a very interesting watch. I like how he didn't single one thing out for the cause. Now I want to read the books.

• Like 1

His points are interesting. I don't know that I want to read his books, but I might just to get a better look at his details that he doesn't get into on the video.

I checked out Amazon. His books cost about $55.

One of the customer reviews had this tidbit that probably explains most of the disappearances:

"Contrary to Paulides and his inexperience as a Search and Rescue professional, in advance cases of Hypothermia people do take articles of clothing off. Many of the cases where clothes were removed can be attributed to this. This phenomenon is described as paradoxical undressing. In other words, when hypothermia sets in, your skin feels as if it is on fire. This combined with an altered state of mind is the reason why people in advanced stages of hypothermia, take their clothes off. You think you're hot when obviously not. Compounding this is "terminal burrowing." People tend to take their clothes off and hide. It's also called hide and die. This may seem counter-intuitive as a number of people in the woods do exactly that. It is not uncommon for people to take their clothes off and hide just before they die of hypothermia."

Edited by simplybill

Paulides does not shy away from hinting at ***paranormal explanations or alleged Native American "little people" as culprits*** in his Introduction to his book The Hoopa Project.

He also cites the Jerry Crew "bigfoot" prints story (1958) on the back of his The Hoopa Project book without mention of a hoax.

So, for me, law enforcement background or not, I'd investigate and take into account his bias and beliefs...

***Clarification I did not mean as culprits in abductions, just as viable culprits in a personal account he told in the Introduction.

Edited by QuiteContrary

Shouldn't we always do that?

Shouldn't we always do that?

We should, but...the key is almost always in the background of an individual or back story of an event. When it comes to bigfoot, I see this ignored or simply unknown by some.

I think it is important to point out when an individual (and their audience as well) uses their credentials and thus alleged knowledge as something we should accept unquestioningly.

For me, it fits in a thread about Paulides and his theories.

Edited by QuiteContrary

Well, this would be that thread.

I get what you're saying, "Don't question me, I am an expert." That's where we might start looking. I seem to recall him talking about the little people of Native American lore. I have to confess I'll need to check into this a bit more.

One of the reviewers on Amazon caused a bit of a heated debate when he took apart Paulides theories

http://www.amazon.co...9&store=books#w

Wow, that was an impressive tirade. I tend to agree with most of the tirades points though.

• Like 1

Keep in mind that if you're going to write a book like this then you need to over look the normal and mundane and lean more on the sensational. He might have overstated his police background, and no one makes mention of why he chose to leave the force. He wasn't prosecuted for anything, but very often people are given choices, take this or this will happen in order to end all the stuff and move on.

Sort of like "Finding Bigfoot" They always find Bigfoot.......even when they don't, they do.

• Like 1

Well, this would be that thread.

I get what you're saying, "Don't question me, I am an expert." That's where we might start looking. I seem to recall him talking about the little people of Native American lore. I have to confess I'll need to check into this a bit more.

The little people legend is usually my skeptical arguement to those who use native american stories of hairy beasts as evidence for bigfoot. If you believe one, you must at least somewhat believe the others.

• Like 1

Very interesting books, I've got all three (don't buy off Amazon, resellers are marking them up ridiculously). And more than a little creepy to read. That "review" is little more than a troll as far as I'm concerned. The books are worth reading even if a number of the cases have been somewhat poorly represented, as even discounting those leaves you with a core of completely inexplicable incidents.

Very interesting books, I've got all three (don't buy off Amazon, resellers are marking them up ridiculously). And more than a little creepy to read. That "review" is little more than a troll as far as I'm concerned. The books are worth reading even if a number of the cases have been somewhat poorly represented, as even discounting those leaves you with a core of completely inexplicable incidents.

I haven't read all of the books, just some of the pages I found for free, so my opinion may not mean much.

I did google and search for info on this guy and it is not just that Robert guy who doesn't like him.

It appears that the reviewer in question presents good information that Paulides does not dispute so well. But fiction sells as well as non fiction.

That "review" is little more than a troll as far as I'm concerned.

A troll that cites a lot of legitimate sources and correctly points out that many of the "disappeared" people kidnapped by Bigfoot have actually been found and interviewed.

• Like 2

I have been watching a few you tube videos of his radio interviews. He seems really interested in the topic. If the books were available in a library I would burrow and read them.

It should be noted that Paulides is a supporter of Melba Ketchum and also part of the Bigfoot=new-type-of-human crowd. This side of “Bigfoot research” promotes the spiritual\supernatural elements of the Bigfoot lore and tends to attract to a much larger proportion of female “researchers” than the traditional Great White Hunter types who largely dominate the Bigfoot=ape crowd.

I kinda enjoy the wackiness around the Bigfoot phenomenon but to even suggest to the families and loved ones of missing people that they may have been taken\killed by Bigfoot is JUST SO WRONG...

• Like 2

It should be noted that Paulides is a supporter of Melba Ketchum and also part of the Bigfoot=new-type-of-human crowd. This side of “Bigfoot research” promotes the spiritual\supernatural elements of the Bigfoot lore and tends to attract to a much larger proportion of female “researchers” than the traditional Great White Hunter types who largely dominate the Bigfoot=ape crowd.

I kinda enjoy the wackiness around the Bigfoot phenomenon but to even suggest to the families and loved ones of missing people that they may have been taken\killed by Bigfoot is JUST SO WRONG...

Lol! Well if it's true!

One of the reviewers on Amazon caused a bit of a heated debate when he took apart Paulides theories

http://www.amazon.co...9&store=books#w

What a load of crap. A total of TWO reviewers, this Robert is one of them.

But didn't reviewer Robert take into consideration that we can put him up to scrutiny the way he *supposedly* did with Paulides?

Reviewer Robert: "He doesn't come out and state it emphatically, but these editions are nothing more than his belief that Bigfoot is taking people in the woods, across the county."

Well, I heard Paulides more than once on Cost to Coast AM, and he purposefully said that he does *not* believe that BigFoot is responsible for the body snatches, as some of them occur in areas that BF is not known to be, including some regions in Europe. Robert WHO - exposed.

And don't just look at what Robert says, look at Robert. He has *much* to say, all professionally written, all of which took hundreds of hours or more, to research. Example: 92 THE 408 UNEXPLAINED DISAPPEARANCES HE DETAILS IN BOTH WESTERN AND EASTERN EDITIONS WERE FOUND ALIVE AND WELL! WHAT IS SO UNEXPLAINABLE ABOUT SO MANY PEOPLE BEING FOUND ALIVE? Figuring that out alone would require reading both tomes and then meticulously checking out each case, investigating. In all, Robert's effort is way too great to think that he is just a casual reviewer. He is quit the 'investigator', hell bent on bashing Paulides so as to reduce interest in Paulides' works. In other words, he is "sheep dipping" Paulides.

This reviewer "Robert" has the stench of CIA/FBI underwriter all over him. I wouldn't trust anything Robert has to say, whoever he is. Hey, at least we KNOW Paulides' last name.

One thing should be relatively easy to verify. If infact, the National parks *are* refusing to furnish full reports to relatives of victimes, you can be sure the Feds are covering *something* up and there is something cynister going on that they don't want the family, Paulides or the public to know, in which case, I could care *less* about Paulides or Robert, and care only to read about these unusual cases.

That's all that really matters to me, the true facts of the cases - not who is writing them.

Edited by Earl.Of.Trumps

Agreed!

If I'm understanding this correctly, the author of the book believes that more people in the wilderness die in the hands of Bigfoot than from hypothermia.

ROFLMAO!!

Where's the UnLike button when you want one

Edited by Earl.Of.Trumps

A troll that cites a lot of legitimate sources and correctly points out that many of the "disappeared" people kidnapped by Bigfoot have actually been found and interviewed.

Reallly? did you check Robert's *facts* or did you simply assume that some dude named Robert WHO just has to be right?