Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Strange Unexplained Disappearances

rapture

I wish I could read the book, if only for entertainment and a good read. I have no money though :(

There is a reason more people go missing in the woods, and its not bigfoot or aliens.

It's wilderness. Wilderness is dangerous, it has a million ways it can kill you. My uncle once went hiking out in the mountains and never returned. They found his car and camp site, but never found him. It wasn't bigfoot- he had an accident somewhere and his body ended up somewhere hard to reach. In fact, during the search for him they found the body of another hiker who went missing a year before. He had fallen from a cliff and his body was hidden among the rocks. It's also a great place to murder and or dump bodies! The high nature concentration means the body decomposes rather fast and it's easy to hide in all those trees. It's also easier for the killer to hide and stalk their prey, since the woods gives plenty of cover. Of course, most people aren't killed in the woods, they are usually taken there to be disposed of and killed elsewhere. (You also get crazies who live by themselves out in the wilderness to be alone. I'm sure most aren't serial killers but they do seem prone to waving around shotguns.)

The woods wants to kill you, and killers love the woods. It's not the safest place, and it's honestly no surprise people disappear there in high concentrations and that more bodies are found there. No bigfoot or anything needed. Just the two most dangerous things: Nature, and Man.

^^^^ I agree so much with this post. I think people underestimate the dangers of forests, woods, and just the wilderness in general to the under-experienced.

By the way jesspy, I love the quote in your signature.

What do you want the government to do? Ban national parks? Chip everyone?

I don't know. Maybe inform people more of the dangers of walking in these parks. Maybe restrict people to specific areas for camping and hiking. Maybe have a better look for those who go missing. The author talks about how he would take a personal location tracking device beacon thing of some sort into parks. I know we cant chip everyone but if we had a data base of everybody's DNA we could id bodies faster.

I listened to Paulides twice.

This is more than just missing people. It's *how* they go missing, and in some cases,

what they find for corpses.

really mystifying and scary stuff.

what I find freaky the amount of people found alive who don't want to talk. Yes the corpses too are weird. What scares me the most is not knowing. If we knew what happened to these people it would answer all the unanswered questions.

So let me get this straight.. After lambasting people for taking things at face value and not doing the research, Earl writes:

Just to see the other side here, a quick recap of one of Paulides' cases cited.

A hiker went missing for a long time. Hunters out in the deep woods found his knapsack hanging from a tree. they returned it to local authorities and then took them back out to the location the knapsack was found.

Investigators found many many pieces of bone about 1" by 1" all around the area of where the clothes were found. No shoes were found, as is common in these cases. the pants and underwear looked like they had simply been dropped to the ankles and left in place.

Still think Paulides is just selling books?

I'm confused, Earl - I tried clicking all over that post, but nope, no links, no cites, no names, no papers, no police reports, no clippings, no NUTHIN. I then checked the thread, and couldn't find anything - did I miss a post?

So I'm challenging you to walk the walk you demand of others - CITE this case and let's look at it closely, shall we?

Just so it's all out in the open and you don't get a nasty surprise, I did a fair bit of research on Paulides a looong time ago - but I'll happily admit I'm very rusty and not sure if I can find it all.. But isn't he the guy who said, and I quote "First, Dr. Ketchum’s science has never been questioned, ever..." :D :D At this point I shall refrain from elaborating further on what I found way back when, as it is YOU that made this claim about the sliced and diced skeletal remains..

So back up this story with some evidence please Earl, otherwise there will be some rather obvious implications and the word starting with HYPOC.. might have to be applied...

• Like 1

So let me get this straight.. After lambasting people for taking things at face value and not doing the research, Earl writes:

I'm confused, Earl - I tried clicking all over that post, but nope, no links, no cites, no names, no papers, no police reports, no clippings, no NUTHIN. I then checked the thread, and couldn't find anything - did I miss a post?

So I'm challenging you to walk the walk you demand of others - CITE this case and let's look at it closely, shall we?

I haven't come across this case in the third book so it must be in an earlier book. I do believe however Paulides makes the statement about the bones on one of his radio interviews I just cant remember which one. ill look into it.

• Like 1

What do you want the government to do? Ban national parks? Chip everyone?

Perhaps what is needed is to send armed combatents into the parks to locate these evil alien/bigfoot/pygmy/ape/hobo/vagrant/man-eating-tree menace whatever it may be? Maybe get the FBI involved with agents on the ground... Former Special Forces?

Perhaps what is needed is to send armed combatents into the parks to locate these evil alien/bigfoot/pygmy/ape/hobo/vagrant/man-eating-tree menace whatever it may be? Maybe get the FBI involved with agents on the ground... Former Special Forces?

Well that's not as over the top as what my work mate just said. He said to deforest everything. Maybe that's going a bit far.

I've watched somewhat reputable investigative shows do stories about missing people. I've never seen them doing a show about any of these. These certainly would have more "ratings drawing" appeal, so I don't understand why they are not used.

• 4 weeks later...

My work mate just had an idea. We put Justin Beiber or Kim Khardashian into a national park and wait. My work mate figured they would take so many selfies and up load them to twitter that one of the selfies is bound to show what is taking these people.

• Like 2

I think David Paulides may be on to something. He has pretty much eliminated "the plausible" from the core cases. As with the relatively small core of truly anomalous ufo cases from which the plausible has been eliminated, so with the majority of Paulides' collected cases - wild animals, human pervs/cannibals/druggies/weather have been excluded by the evidence associated with the core reports. Which is not to make a huge statement at all, but rather just to say that anomalous events do rarely occur in the wilderness, just as they do in earth's atmosphere. Although not a professional writer, and his sentence structure is sometimes not the best, still, Paulide's cases should be given attention and a fair chance to speak for themselves.