Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Motorbike safety belts

onesixoneeight

Why are motorbikes not fitted with safety belts?

Pretty much every other vehicle on the planet has seatbelts or safety belts but not motorbikes.

Pretty much every other vehicle on the planet has seatbelts or safety belts but not motorbikes.

Because it's easier and safer to push yourself off the bike in case of an emergency.

How is this a conspiracy? Its common sense.

Welcome to the forums.

• Like 5

Welcome to UM 1618 :)

RB is spot on, if used on bikes they might have to be renamed as danger-belts. Also there are other vehicles with no safety belts, trains, buses, coaches, trams, bicycles, jet skis, rickshaws, cable cars and the list goes on...

I also don't understand the placing of this thread in the conspiracy section.

Edited by Junior Chubb
  • Like 1

What do you gain from being strapped to a bike?

I know that I wouldn't want to be strapped to a bike which fell over, as I don't want my fingers or other bits of me to get shredded by the spokes of wheels which are still spinning.

• Like 1

Ive been a biker for many years, and the logistics and ergonomics of bike crashes are totally diffrent from an inclosed vehicle crash!

A motorbike has no shock absorbing bumpers and impact suppression built into the chassis, so if you were straped to a bike and had a head on collision at 60 mph you would most certainly have your internal organs destroyed by the G force of the impact!

A common bike accident is to slide out on a corner causing you and the bike to go hurtling along the road on your sides! If you were straped to the bike your leg would almost certainly be trapped under the side thats in contact with the road, most probably causing you the loss of your leg! You stand a much greater chance of survival and less injury if its just the ass of your leathers skiding along the asphalt!

Bike petrol tanks/carbs/fuel lines are known to rupture and leak in even small impact crashes, which can cause fires leaking onto hot exhaust manifolds or sparking damged electrics, so being straped to a potential fire ball isnt gona end well!

Bikes are deadly and dangerous in even the most experienced hands! A form of saftey bely on a bike is impractical, unsafe, and to be honest a huge disaster waiting to happen!

Any biker reading this will back me up 100%

• Like 2

Just struck me as odd and perhaps some kind of conspiracy.

As far as I know, public transport doesn't have seatbelts because they are constantly stopping, going etc.

Just struck me as odd and perhaps some kind of conspiracy.

As far as I know, public transport doesn't have seatbelts because they are constantly stopping, going etc.

If you want a seat belt conspiracy I remember an acquaintance of mine spewing out some nonsense about aeroplane seatbelts being designed to break you back and provide a painless death in the event of a crash.

Stick that in your pipe and Google it ;)

• Like 1

Ive been a biker for many years, and the logistics and ergonomics of bike crashes are totally diffrent from an inclosed vehicle crash!

A motorbike has no shock absorbing bumpers and impact suppression built into the chassis, so if you were straped to a bike and had a head on collision at 60 mph you would most certainly have your internal organs destroyed by the G force of the impact!

A common bike accident is to slide out on a corner causing you and the bike to go hurtling along the road on your sides! If you were straped to the bike your leg would almost certainly be trapped under the side thats in contact with the road, most probably causing you the loss of your leg! You stand a much greater chance of survival and less injury if its just the ass of your leathers skiding along the asphalt!

Bike petrol tanks/carbs/fuel lines are known to rupture and leak in even small impact crashes, which can cause fires leaking onto hot exhaust manifolds or sparking damged electrics, so being straped to a potential fire ball isnt gona end well!

Bikes are deadly and dangerous in even the most experienced hands! A form of saftey bely on a bike is impractical, unsafe, and to be honest a huge disaster waiting to happen!

Any biker reading this will back me up 100%

Thank you. An excellent explanation.

• Like 1

I had a motorbike crash 6 years ago where I was able to push myself off the bike.

The bike (Yamaha R6) wrapped itself around a tree (total loss) and I landed "softly"

in a hedge and had no heavy injuries just very painfull bruises.

So, safety belts at a mororbike aren`t`safe in any kind.

• Like 1

You see, the question needed to be asked.

Well... you may think it needed to be asked, but for anyone who has ever seen someone dump a motorcycle, or seen someone ride a motorcycle.... or even just has seen a motorcycle at all... the question of seat belts or anything that would keep you strapped onto what in a bad spill would very quickly become a spinning, flipping, shredding piece of hot metallic death is not something that needs to be asked or really, even considered.

Cz

An interesting premise. Motorbikes COULD be made much safer with the addition of a roof, two more wheels, comfortable seats, windscreen, doors ....

But I suspect the conspirators are the bikers themselves.

• Like 2

An interesting premise. Motorbikes COULD be made much safer with the addition of a roof, two more wheels, comfortable seats, windscreen, doors ....

But I suspect the conspirators are the bikers themselves.

You might be on to something there...

Those 3 wheeled bikes with roofs are becoming more common.

• Like 1

Car drivers should wear helmets.

A lot of drivers are bell ends, is that close enough?

• Like 1

Car drivers should wear helmets.

Yeah, and Disneyland visitors as well.

actually there were experiments with bike airbag, it even looked promising during tests, it was a decade ago or so, but i have never seen bike with an air bag in person

actually there were experiments with bike airbag, it even looked promising during tests, it was a decade ago or so, but i have never seen bike with an air bag in person

Honda delivers the Gold Wing 1800 model with airbag since 2006. But I would not classify a Gold Wing as a motor bike and

I´m sure the 2015 model will have a dishwasher as standard equipment.

Edited by toast
  • Like 1

The top of the line Honda Goldwing has an airbag.

http://world.honda.com/motorcycle-picturebook/Airbag/

http://powersports.honda.com/2014/gold-wing/options.aspx

From what I understand, it is only really useful in frontal collisions. I also found some stuff on inflating airbag riding jackets.

http://www.bikebone.com/Air-Vest-Motorcycle-Airbag-Hit-Air.htm

I also found some stuff on inflating airbag riding jackets.

Most MotoGP riders have airbags in their leathers these days. They are in the shoulders to protect the neck and collar bones in the event of an accident. They automatically deflate a few seconds after the accident and can then inflate a second time. To paraphrase one BBC commentator, anyone falling off a third time in a single race deserves everything they get.

• Like 5

• 3 months later...

Or Air Bags, or Parachutes.

Are you serious?

Have you ever ridden a motorcycle?