Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Fallacy of Science

029b10

You will need to elaborate - the above does not constitute in and of itself a subject for discussion about scientific fallability. There is no evidence presented and the insinuation that a linked book has the answers based on whether you or the "the spirit" is drawn to it is simply without foundation in any scientific principle.

Edited by libstaK
  • Like 4

Just a dead thread, nothing here to see, move along....

“What do you think science is? There's nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. Which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?” - Steven Novella

Edited by Odin11
  • Like 2

Essential reading on such a topic :

Science Without Bounds A Synthesis of Science, Religion and Mysticism by Arthur D’Adamo is a great attempt at discussing and documenting the gap and bridges between previously very diverse ideas. The author writes:

I’ve never seen a book that presents this world view as a harmonious whole, though I’ve seen books that discuss bits and pieces, and even large sections. For a long time I wished such a book existed, a book I could give to my friends and say “Here. This is what I believe.” For years I thought of writing such a book.

Thanks to Arthur D’Adamo for letting holybooks.com host the pdf-version of his book for free download. Download the entire e-book here (page 448/1.3 MB):

PDFbook.png

Science and religion are two vastly different things. Why people can't see this amazes me to no end.

Critique of non-overlapping magesteria

Increasingly overlapping magesteria

They are vastly different, until one makes a claim that can be explained by the other, which happens often. Then we have an issue.

Critique of non-overlapping magesteria

Increasingly overlapping magesteria

They are vastly different, until one makes a claim that can be explained by the other, which happens often. Then we have an issue.

From your first link...

Susan Jacoby claims the concept that science and religion should not conflict is unreasonable.

I disagree with Ms Jacoby. The claim that science and religion should not conflict is entirely reasonable, it is just that modern religions incorporate claims on material reality that are the purview of science. However, it is not necessary for any religion to make those claims to qualify as a religion.

Susan Jacoby would be correct if she were to suggest that science and most extant religions conflict, but she is incorrect in claiming that science and religion as concepts are necessarily conflicted.

Those such as Jacoby and Dawkins are making a "No True Scotsman" argument. By arguing the concept of religion is what they claim it to be, they ensure their position is unassailable. But they are actually arguing the reality of religion, not the concept.

the fallacy of signs.

they attempt to draw you in by presenting an idea, but they are not the idea themselves. it's a lie. the lie of representational advertising.

i can do it too!

This post is an example of saying nothing at all and believing that you've said something profound.

I'm pretty sure I do this at least once a day. Profundity is a scarce commodity.

• Like 2

From your first link...

I disagree with Ms Jacoby. The claim that science and religion should not conflict is entirely reasonable, it is just that modern religions incorporate claims on material reality that are the purview of science. However, it is not necessary for any religion to make those claims to qualify as a religion.

Susan Jacoby would be correct if she were to suggest that science and most extant religions conflict, but she is incorrect in claiming that science and religion as concepts are necessarily conflicted.

Those such as Jacoby and Dawkins are making a "No True Scotsman" argument. By arguing the concept of religion is what they claim it to be, they ensure their position is unassailable. But they are actually arguing the reality of religion, not the concept.

Fair enough. I would tend to agree, I have no problem with people believing in what consider fairy tales, as long as they don't make materialistic claims based on those beliefs, that ca be proven wrong. When religion starts getting in the way of scientific progress I draw the line. Honestly, it's the reality that I'm concerned with.

Fair enough. I would tend to agree, I have no problem with people believing in what consider fairy tales, as long as they don't make materialistic claims based on those beliefs, that ca be proven wrong. When religion starts getting in the way of scientific progress I draw the line. Honestly, it's the reality that I'm concerned with.

There are lots of cientists that do good work that believed a man from 2,000 years ago was born of a virgin grew to be a strong spiritual teacher, died on a cross, was risen from the dead, and was god incarnate upon the earth. I think belief has very little to do with real science.

There are lots of cientists that do good work that believed a man from 2,000 years ago was born of a virgin grew to be a strong spiritual teacher, died on a cross, was risen from the dead, and was god incarnate upon the earth. I think belief has very little to do with real science.

Please don't tell me that they are Americans. I do know that there are Korean scientists and engineers who are hardcore YEC believers, and none of them are in the field of geology or biology.

I never said a scientist couldn't be a religious person. I said I have a problem when religion interferes with science. You can be a religious scientist and not allow your beliefs to conflict with your research.

Please don't tell me that they are Americans. I do know that there are Korean scientists and engineers who are hardcore YEC believers, and none of them are in the field of geology or biology.

I think they come from many countries. Yes there are are religious biologists. I have never heard of one being a fundamentalist though,

I was watching NASA's Unexplained files last night, and the scientists were saying that they are constantly changing their theories based upon new discoveries. That in science they are constantly evolving, and learning.